To do or not to do?

First Ultra and When

21 to 39 of 39 messages
28/09/2012 at 14:38

..anyway having stuck my 2 penneth worth in im back off to where i belong on wannabe...;)

28/09/2012 at 15:08
No it is a bit of a faff ... But it's a tiny piece of the jigsaw and it is positive
Experience ... It's now very commercial ESP with charities raising the bar .. Year on year with sums to be raised... Granted its not for everyone but that's life
28/09/2012 at 15:37

i know clare, its personal choice, and i agree the fundraising level gets ridiculous but i guess its such a well known event now that the organisers know they will get people doing it. have you sorted your dilemma? how about doing an ultra for your friends charirty instead

28/09/2012 at 16:25

I've done London twice, neither were done to raise money for charity (and oh boy wasn't I made aware of that on the start line!!), once was a club place and the other a GFA place. The atmosphere IS something else if you like that kind of thing, but I don't and I hate all the bustling, people dodging etc but for many people London is IT and they go back time and again. So very much horses for courses.

I ran my first ultra on the back of a Spring marathon (Shakespeare), did hardly anything for three weeks after it and then did Marlborough Challenge (33) miles of trail so the marathon served as my longest training run and then I just got on with enjoying the ultra - all on trail.

My training works around two young children and a husband that works away all week, I work random daytime hours but it's amazing what you can fit in if you try. Building back up the weekly mileage after it being destroyed over the summer hols (post 100-mile race too!).  I try and run at least 3x on bad week but aim for 5x plus 1 hour pilates. Is important to keep up somekind of strength/flexibility training to combat the increased mileage.  My second ultra I did on about 35 mpw and running 3x per week (it was 46 miles in the Brecon Beacons) and I finished in a decent time too, so mega weekly mileage does not always mean mega speedy times, you just have to work with what you can manage and not get caught up with what such and such a person seems to be doing.

Long runs are the main thing for ultra training, and long and SLOW is very important. In fact ultra-training completely redefined my idea of a slow run, it's much slower than it used to be and much more beneficial.

Wannabe thread is great for inspiration (and entertainment). A very friendly bunch.

End of monologue!!!

28/09/2012 at 16:32
I think I would gain far more satisfaction from an ultra...and get the
Feeling the people are a whole lot nicer !!on this forum
People have been great... Seem like a different breed..positive people
But not saying neg about other folk... It's how you find people.

I found our From my charity today that they want me to raise
??1250 by 31st Dec 2012 and attend meeting and have proof etc..straight up!.

So no pressure... Much!!!.... Anyway that's the tin lid for me.... Ultra and a
Bit of fundraising on the side but not at their beck and call !!
28/09/2012 at 17:04

Its so interesting to hear how you combine everything cragchick and how it all fits in and all clicks into place and it has made me realise what can be achieved.

Thank you for fuelling my interest and inspiring me to go out there and achieve something similar..

I aint the quickest and know folk always judge you on the marathon time etc but I know there are miles!!!! in me.

Hey you go girl...wish you every success

28/09/2012 at 17:10

hello cragc!! *waves*....the more i read your posts the more i think we are very alike!! lol...chatterwise, runwise and choice of ultras! im like you, and agree that IF you go for the atmosphere element of events being busy/hyped/promotional then London is a probably a goodun..but like you Cragc i dont like it at all...gimme miles of wide open space in the middle of nowere with 100 runners or so all spread out...and thts just fine

28/09/2012 at 17:33

LB: like I've said before, living in London it makes sense to run it once - to have an easy answer to people asking "have you run the marathon?" when I'm not in the mood for explaining that yes, other marathons are the same distance as London. Also for curiosity if nothing else. May enjoy it, may not - I prefer trail to road - but hopefully this will be an interesting experience - and I earned the place and don't need to do any fundraising. About the only other long road race I'm interested in, that I know of, is Comrades (and whatever race I'll need to run to get a decent pen placing for that).

28/09/2012 at 18:10
It makes sense for people to do that like you say, and having done London
Twice..2009/10 ... I look forward to the ultras
29/09/2012 at 13:08

There are some lovely rural marathons out there which are good as trainig runs for ultras- there was a lovely small race in Perthshire last july, there are local races everywhere- no need to brave the hassle and fund- raising terrors of london if you just want to run 26.2 miles.

Good first ultras? I did a 31 miler off just marathon trainig, 5 weeks after a marathon that acted as a lst LSR, although I did attempt to race it, rather than treat it as a trainig run. I also did a 41 miler off much the same, although that time I was more relaxed about the marathon, and did it 30 minutes slower than pb- pace.

I suspect that for anything much longer than 40 miles, a more focussed plan , with more very long runs ,or back-to-backs may be needed.

02/10/2012 at 09:41

Go for it. I started running in January this year. I have done 3 10ks a 30k and in December I am meant to be doing a 50k. I'm moderately confident of doing it and I think I will complete it as thats all that I want. I don't care about times etc. Since January I have been out for about a month with Sciatic nerve problems too.

Try a 50k first and see how it goes. I'm doing the Dorset CTS but wished I were ready for the Salisbury 54321 Ultra as its a little more flat lol

05/10/2012 at 18:40

Regular runner,i  have never ran a marathon, i have no motivation or desire to do so.I am fed up of folks asking me if i have ever ran a marathon, and the look of disbelief when i tell them i havent and have no intention of doing so.To which 1 guy said theres them that have and then theres everyone else.So i am thinking of doing a Ultra, i have been training for about a month.So  i can reply to the marathoners, i have never ran a marathon, they can have the high ground but know that i have run an ultra.Is that childish? or a good enough reason, it is for me.

05/10/2012 at 19:02

Hi Guys, if you are interested in a nice new friendly Ultra try the Stort30 - its in the race finder.

I am the race director and it will be small and friendly with aan easy out and back trail route. www.challenge-running.co.uk

I am a reasonably experienced Ultra runner but not fast, I agree that Ultras are more friendly and I think this is due to finishing being the goal rather than time.

Any questions please ask

06/10/2012 at 19:34

hi FiremanNS...i cant do the stort30 as im doing an event that day but how far is the Essex ultra? and when? i cant view that page for some reason, i can acess the others but not tht one. thanks

agree, ultras are far more friendly than maras

06/10/2012 at 20:02
Hi loulabell not sure why it did not work - it worked fine when I just tried.
The Essex Way ultra will be end of july/early august and willbe about 82miles in total. I am still planning the exact date and details and should have it all sorted in about a month. Busy finishing off the planning for my first race in 2 weeks the Stort30.
06/10/2012 at 20:53

ok thanks,i will try again . sounds good, am doing Ridgeway85 end of August , not sure i can do 2 of that length in one month!

the stort30 looks good though. when you say you are not fast...what speed do you mean lol

06/10/2012 at 20:59
Depends what u call fast. My 100k time is 10:19
My 100 mile time is about 23hours on a flat course.
Marathon sub 3:30.
Not fast by most standards
06/10/2012 at 21:06

still faster than i ..am a newbie to ultra though so testing the water  this year...hoping to get speedier

06/10/2012 at 21:42
Speed is overrated. Thechallenge is more important.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 39 of 39 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.