TR24 2014

Anyone else heading to Catton Park?

1 to 20 of 35 messages
22/07/2013 at 11:26

Anyone else running solo in the TR24 this weekend? Looks like the weather will be a little cooler which should help but I am still hoping to find some ice there

Last year I ended up in a support role after an accident and the atmosphere in the camp was brilliant. Really looking forward to running it this year

Edited: 22/07/2013 at 11:53
Rafiki    pirate
22/07/2013 at 13:56

TR24 2014!! Now that's forward planning!

We've got a couple of Pirate teams entered, so should be there from Friday afternoon onwards. And yep - hope it cools down a bit by then!!

23/07/2013 at 07:34

Yep, solo for me. Hope there is no thunder though!

23/07/2013 at 09:30

Damn - meant 2013

My wife and I are both running solo which will be great. The forecast looks OK I think. Bit muggy with some summer showers to cool us off. Really looking forward to it. Woop woop!!!

23/07/2013 at 10:42

I'll be there solo too! Yup looks like it'll be a bit cooler than recent weather thank gawd! Hoping my achilles injury holds out til then end. Good luck all and see u there

23/07/2013 at 11:00

Awesome We'll be in the cheap grey-green pop-up tent next to a silver Honda CV-sport if anyone wants to pop by and say hi. Always nice to put a face to the post.

23/07/2013 at 14:04

Nice1 Herbfit. I'm borrowing a tent... apparently it's flowery... i did not know this! At least i'll be able to find it again when my brain has gone to goo.

My running club (lliswerry) will have a massive compound set up as we have loadsa teams, but i'll be in the solo compound with all the other grunts

23/07/2013 at 15:55

Will see you there Superglue - I'm solo too Not intending putting up my tent or unpacking the chair until 12:00pm on Sunday!

23/07/2013 at 16:37

Nice1 GeeeM will see u there. I'm there from Friday afternoon so i can get up set up and enjoy a good bbq. Can't see me using my tent or bed much tho, apart from Friday night that is.

24/07/2013 at 08:16

You are hardcore GeeeM

We have just discovered that we can fold down all the seats in the Honda to turn it into a giant sleeping area - may not need a tent either. Hoping not to have to stop too much but a little kip in the night might be necessary - and a chair is a must

Looking forward to cooking tomorrow. Taking Quinoa and Lentil salad, Pasta and roasted veg, crispy salted tofu, humous, pittas, nut butter - this is a picnic with a little run attached right?

24/07/2013 at 09:24

My blog post on preparing for the TR24

24/07/2013 at 11:42

I'm trying very hard not to treat the whole weekend as a Jolly... i think it might end badly if too many beers are consumed Friday night....

24/07/2013 at 13:11

Do you have a target in mind Mr Boots? No laps not beers I mean

24/07/2013 at 13:18

It was 18, but i'm carrying an injury, so gonna see how i last.

I know GeeeM if ur going well, you'll be similar if not more...!?

How about yourself Herbfit? So much is gonna rely on weather and what happens on the day i think.

24/07/2013 at 13:45

I'll play it by ear. My wife ran it last year and did 10 laps (we were going to run as a mixed pair and aim for 10 each but I got in a car accident so she went solo). I think she would like to top that this year and I will cling on for dear life to keep up

24/07/2013 at 14:50

Yeah - 18 is about right as my "A" target  I did 100 miles at Run24 last year in 21:45, but am coming into this on tired legs so - who knows... I make 16 laps 99.4 miles officially, so 17+ is the gold standard!

Did TR24 in 2011 and got it all wrong, my nutrition strategy was hideous, (eat loads at the end of each lap). Spent too much time at the car and also had to have a 6-hour kip to sleep off the excess food. Manged 12 laps though

Run24 last year was different, minimal time stopping to refuel and no temptation of chairs and tents! I basically just grabbed some water/food and kept on going - made loads of difference, but I think there's still room for improvement.

18 laps, say 5-minutes stop each lap = 90 minutes. That's an extra lap at walking pace...! If I can I'll park backed-up to the course, so will only need a few seconds to grab some supplies from the boot and keep going.

24/07/2013 at 17:21

Good advice there Geeem, I'm over thinking my strategy and who knows what Im going to eat as always have to wait some time normally after eating before I run cos I feel too full. What did /do you plan to grab at the end of each lap that is sufficient to keep you going? I've only done this event in a team before and never run an ultra although it will be 11th marathon this year. Always rely on gels but suspect they aren't going to be very appealing after 15 hrs No idea how many laps I'll complete, this is toe dipping into ultra territory before I go for a point to point or circular biggy.

24/07/2013 at 18:08

I try for 300 calories / hour split into 2*150 calories, or 3*100 calories. e.g.

150 calories looks like, (I'm taking all of these items!)

• A can of Coke
  • A gel (100) + half a banana (50)
  • Small potion of nuts / trail mix
  • 3 custard creams
  • 2 fig rolls
  • A pot of rice pudding
  • Small bag of mini cheddars
  • Small bag of pork scratchings
  • 1/3 of a flapjack

You get the idea  At the car I'll grab something savoury and more "bulky" which can be eaten on the-go, and then stuff some rations for the lap... I'll also probably wear a lightweight pack which will further cut down my need to refuel at the car!

I guess my advice would be to start early on the savoury/real food - don't wait until you're sick of it. Little and often is key, use the hills to refuel - there's a hilly section 1km from the start/finish, so load up, jog there and use that bit to eat! Likewise with the hill after the water station at halfway!

Don't overthink it - your body will tell you what you should be eating, as soon as you start feeling sick of gels / sweet stuff - change it up... It'll be too late otherwise and no-one likes a "Chunder Runner" 

24/07/2013 at 20:06

Cheers bud, all of that looks do-able in terms of digestion etc..not sure about Pork scratchings..that may have to be replaced with crisps! I may need some moral support..I am 5 ft, female and skinny and ..scared! Will have last year's TR24 Buff on head or blue baseball hat should you wish to give me a 'hi'. Any other advice gratefully received. Do you do the usual marathon carb loading job or is this a different approach due to constant intake of food over 24 hours.

25/07/2013 at 07:29

Will keep a look out for you brer - as you'll know TR24 is a really friendly event and there's always someone to chat to 

Crisps work too - I like cheesy Doritos, yum! Pork scratchings are high fat, low carb and nice and salty which can make a nice change from sweet stuff...

Personally, I don't carb load for anything and live a fairly low-carb life, (less than 100g/day) I'll use carbs to keep me going - I know I crash hard after about 3 hours/20 miles unless I keep them topped-up. 

Carb loading is all about giving you that extra bit of liver glycogen to see you over "the wall" in a marathon, (commonly around 20 miles). Let's just say I'll be jumping, climbing, scrambling and crawling over a lot of walls this weekend. Whenever things start getting really tough, some nice refined carbs, (Jaffa Cakes) normally seem to pick me up!

Now really isn't the time to try anything too radically new, so I'd just eat normally until the gun goes at noon on Saturday, then start thinking of food as fuel - little and often!

Just done my last 5-miler before Saturday, kit is all laid out and food bought. Now, i just need to exercise some restraint and stop nibbling at the supplies. See you all on Saturday!

Edited: 25/07/2013 at 07:32
1 to 20 of 35 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.