Trainig for the Viking Way Ultra

19 messages
09/01/2012 at 21:27

Still not sure how best to tackle this monster. 

I have done a 100 mile event and have another lined up, but this event has a number of aggravating features e.g distance, time limit.  It is not a flat course like the GUCR either.   

I have looked at training programs for 150 mile events such as Badwater and GUCR, and there seems to be little consistency on structure. 

Any suggestions welcome.

12/01/2012 at 13:49

Get out and put lots of miles in your legs. Lots and lots of walking is always very good training.

I would always sugest getting into the hills even if a perspective race is considered flat.

Re: the GUCR I found the fact that on the whole it was flat harder, at least if there are hills thrown in it gives specific leg muscles a much needed rest rather than pounding the same set continously.

Basically the reason that there are few training progs is that you have to draw on your own experience and work a plan that suits you. It is very individual..

12/01/2012 at 22:22

Thanks for the advice Bret. 

I am very fortunate to have a lot of good hills on my doorstep, and do a lot of hill running.  I have never really thought about working walking into my training program though.  My job involves standing all day, which likely works to my advantage in these events. 

I can well believe that the flat course of the GUCR is an aggravating factor.  I hurt more the day after the Thames Trot than the day after the Comrades up run!

23/01/2012 at 21:49

Hey Ben. Will see you out there on the Viking way. I am crewing not running.

I think miles in your legs is important but with the kind of miles you will be wanting to put in your legs you should try and make it fit in around your life rather than the other way round. 

I have a running commute which is only 5 miles each day but two five mile runs a day and some stuff at the weekend is enough for me. Miles are miles. You just need to make running your "normal" mode of transport.

23/01/2012 at 22:12

Using running to commute is not a problem James. 

I am poor anyway. 

GKD
23/01/2012 at 22:41
I thought the Viking way race didn't allow crews?
GKD
10/02/2012 at 21:24

That has been my finding. 

In the end I gave up, and just built the training plan around myself!

12/02/2012 at 11:20
i thought that too Lirich... I have a friend running it and would really love to crew/pace him through the last 30...
12/02/2012 at 17:28
It's official - I'm now in this race.
Just need to shake off the cobwebs from The Spine and get back into some good solid running.
Looking forward to it as it's relatively local - better do a recce I guess.
Not sure how to do the logistics of transport - wife is away that weekend and I don't really want to leave a car in Hull. Train doesn't help much - from what I gather drop bag includes anything left over from overnight.

See you there, Ben!
12/02/2012 at 20:14
What an awesome looking race and nice to see an event in Lincolnshire, bit above my current standard but as the long straight along the high dyke at 100 miles is on my back doorstep and a regular training run of mine it seemed rude not to offer my services! Best of luck to all running and I'll see you on the course!
Edited: 12/02/2012 at 20:16
13/02/2012 at 22:20

Rich1

Welcome to the Viking crew. 

Any observations that you have to offer on the nature of the route would be of interest, since I can't get down there to reconnoiter it. 

13/02/2012 at 22:59
Thanks Ben
Don't really know the Viking Way much but will be gently undulating I imagine. Planning a few runs so will let you know!
Edited: 13/02/2012 at 23:00
31/03/2012 at 11:24
This time next week....
31/03/2012 at 17:38

This is going to be brutal!

31/03/2012 at 18:53
And that's if all is going well!!
31/03/2012 at 21:52
In some ways I envy you guys, but in others I really don't! Oh well, see you all at the Welingore/ 100 mile CP
Edited: 31/03/2012 at 21:54
31/03/2012 at 22:06

Roger

If I pull this off, then you have no excuse next year! 

I really don't bring anything to the table as an ultra runner, except a pugnacious attitude, and the fact that I am too stupid to know when I am beaten. 

08/04/2012 at 19:15

That turned out to be a bit of a meat grinder!

I think it is safe to call it the toughest single stage race in the UK.

10/04/2012 at 06:52
Agree with Ben!!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
19 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.