Trekking poles for ultra races ????

Lakeland 50 coming up

21 to 37 of 37 messages
seren nos    pirate
16/06/2011 at 16:07

and wearing shoes doesn't provide some protection that makes it easier..........

and headtorches are an advantage .............

and gps

and running with a friend...........and compression socks

and millions of things..............

so I think it depends on the race organisers to decide..............some racers let non competitors run with you for so many miles............doesn't seem fair to me but its the organisers choice

AndrewSmith    pirate
16/06/2011 at 16:07
*Jimmy* wrote (see)
Lol I sense some bad feelings towards the poles

Hehe, no bad feeling, just a micky take mate but it is true they help and so if you are more concerned about your own personal ability then maybe they are not, along with support crews and pacers the thing to use
30/08/2012 at 11:56

Keen to join the "cheating" brigade (?!) after doing the "Mountain Man" in Switzerland a couple of weeks ago and with UTMB a big goal in the future I feel these aids are definitely worth while considering (as well as far more training in the mountains)!

Since this post started any more advice on any poles out there?

pmo
30/08/2012 at 12:08

In my limited experience they are great for maintaining form (upright posture) when climbing, and good for balance on technical decent, and take pressure of the quads and knees.

But you work harder for using them and it's easy to red line while ascending, as the better form makes the ascent feel easier. More difficult to remember to fuel and drink with your hands full too..

pmo
30/08/2012 at 15:03

At Lakeland 100, I was conscious that the people with poles were having a much easier time of it than I was.  This was especially true on the big descents, in the latter half of the race.  At the end of the day however, I am a creature of habit, and will probably stick with what I know. 

WiB
30/08/2012 at 15:10

Thats the spirit Ben... say no to poles!

WiB
30/08/2012 at 15:13

I love my "cheat sticks" for the really hilly races. I have a strong upper body so find them very helpful - on the Lakeland 100 I was very happy to have packed them! Great for powering up the hills, but also for coming down, especially on the wet slippery rock. Definitely saved my quads. I like the leki telescopic ones so can adjust length as and when (shorter on the up, longer on the down).  

30/08/2012 at 15:15
AndrewSmith wrote (see)
Here's a good link for those interested in using cheating sticks!

Hahahaha! Fair cop Smithy...

WiB
30/08/2012 at 15:23

I guess if an aid station is busy you can just spear a peice of malt loaf with one from distance and carry on?!

WiB
30/08/2012 at 15:49

... and good for tripping people up who try and over take me...

WiB
30/08/2012 at 16:02

Surely that never happens whilst you are using your poles though?!

WiB
07/09/2012 at 21:19

Banned from all Scottish Hill racing events including the Ultras in Scotland. Quite rightly too! Infamous experience on the West Highland Way race many years ago battling against the Caledonian challenge (charity walk) going the opposite way. So many people on their mobile phones with poles in the air - I think it was about 1000 people, so was having to negotiate past 2000 sharp pointy things! I had the scars to prove it.

meface    pirate
07/09/2012 at 22:15
  • Training - banned - I don't like it
  • Nutrition - banned - I don't need it
  • Navigation skills - banned
  • GPS - banned - definite advantage
  • Hats - banned - I get too warm and once got mugged by a bloke with a hat
  • Technical equipment - banned - cotton was OK in the 60s.

Some events allow sticks, some don't. Some events allow you to ride a bike for most of it (Triathlon). Walking events require one foot in connection with the ground at all times. I saw a bloke trip over a tree root and go flying - should I have had him banned?

Hllheader if you have a legitimate claim consider consulting a solicitor.

Other than that if sticks are OK then use them. Off to complain in a thread about what trail shoe to use about how they give an advantage.

M..eface

Next event LDWA 52 mile event in Kent - probably won't take sticks but may have a good torch - if that is OK with the rest of you?

Edited: 07/09/2012 at 22:19
WiB
08/09/2012 at 09:23

Do you feel better after that? Want your toys back!?

I don't care if peopel use sticks or not, I personally don't and most people can handle the jokes about them... some can't I guess.

This one makes me chuckle, It's likely I don't need to tell most of you the source but it is henk of Caesars Camp fame...
"Cheating sticks or other aids of that ilk are no longer allowed. Running should be done on two legs and if those fail you go home. Alternatively, strap a pair of inov8's to your hands to crawl the damn thing, if only just for my amusement."

Off for the first of my back to backs of the weekend... shorts, shoes, water bottle. Perfect.

WiB
08/09/2012 at 09:56

So a East European pacer is no good then?

12/09/2012 at 11:57

Sticks are banned from my event for a couple of reasons:

1/ They give an advantage as they take strain from the legs during climbs. I know everyone can carry them to level that out, but it's a race and not the LDWA like Smithy points out. 

2/ I have seen many occasions where are folks get spiked by them as most folks who carry them are the equivalent of drivers of German cars, ie. turning off unexpectedly without giving any notice.

3/ You look like a tw*t with them, also goes for Garmin in urban England, compression socks etc. 

This year there will be a special award at my event for those special insecure folks who need all this crap to run. 

pmo
12/09/2012 at 12:02

Ooooh, special award! Or am I missing something?

pmo

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 37 of 37 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.