UK Ultras

Whats missing?

21 to 38 of 38 messages
pmo
17/12/2012 at 17:57

How about some 100ks? I'm sure there are some, but it's a bit of a no-mans land between 50 and 10 miles.

Ben, have to agree. Leicester doesn't conjure up images of beautiful countryside - but maybe that's its' best kept secret

pmo
17/12/2012 at 20:47

I'd second more ultras in the north east.  they are very thin on the ground round here, infact, I always think of the round ripon as my local race and I live on Tyneside.  There are some fantastic routes around the cheviots and they would certainly be challenging.

17/12/2012 at 21:35

YAY, more NE fans

seren nos yn canu    pirate
17/12/2012 at 21:57

If you do anything in the brecon beacons do not do it at the end of november.........in the same area over 3 weekends we have the likeys 46 mile ultra then the sleepwalker which is only 20 miles but all at night and self navigational........and then the MCN 40 miler...........

all starting at talybont and going into the beacons.too close together to do them all........so please if you come to this area.pick a different time of year

17/12/2012 at 22:55

http://runningandstuff.squarespace.com/uk-ultras-2013/

I have just updated my page with many of the UK ultras on if you'd like to have a look.

18/12/2012 at 00:42

I've had a look.

James A - exactly how many ultras do you run in a year???     The phrase "I ran this last year" seemed to come up very frequently.

Now very tempted by Brecon 10peaks. Very tempted indeed.  Never knew it existed.

I'm building up (eventually) to do all S Wales 2000'-ers in a round.  Not sure whether it's been done before or whether I'm a suitable person to attempt it.

18/12/2012 at 11:54

great summing up of races on that report James, found a few to add to my 'want to do' list ... Relentless doesn't cover the whole of the UK though ... stops before it gets into Scotland

Why would you not be a suitable person to do the SW 2000-ers TRex?

21/12/2012 at 21:21

We've just launched Avid Runner and we're hosting two race weekends in the North East next year.

We really want to see the Ultra scene take of in the North East.

Check us out at http://www.avidrunner.co.uk 

01/01/2013 at 17:39
Some long off road orienteering type events ie single day mountain marathons without the hassle of kit and camping.
03/01/2013 at 00:07

cragchick - because there's 34 of them (Nuttalls list) and I haven't yet dared add up the mileage needed to do them in a round ...  

10 Peaks Brecon Beacons has 11 of them, and 3 more are within easy reach of the route - but that still leaves another 20!!

14/01/2013 at 10:33

Long,tough and beautiful.That seems to be the three words that most ultra runners would use to describe their favourite races.Its also three words that describe the Cape Wrath trail from Fort William,almost 200 miles makes it a bit of a challenge but I know I'd enter if it existed.

14/01/2013 at 13:06

So actually you could start at Tyndrum and do the  WHW and then pick up the Cape Wrath at Fort William and keep on going ... there are trails aplenty in Scotland that link together with little need for tarmac bashing ... which is why I love it up here so much!

TRex - if you don't care about time you could just work your way through them in your own time and have that personal satisfaction of completing whatever.

Saw those NE Ultras and they do look good ...

15/01/2013 at 11:45

Why start at Tyndrum,why not go the whole hog and start at Milngavie,its only another 53 miles after all. I'm doing the West Highland Way race in June so might just keep heading north after ( in my dreams)

15/01/2013 at 11:48

I meant Milngavie - not sure why I put Tyndrum!!! I am also doing the WHW Race in June Andrew - eek!

Edited: 15/01/2013 at 11:49
15/01/2013 at 13:33

I agree with some races in the distance between 50 miles and 100 miles.   Seems a very big step up!

15/01/2013 at 16:18

yes eek! really looking forward to it, I would love to see an ultra in Snowdonia,i've done some lovely runs over the Snowdon range then onto the Glyders and up and across the Carneddau

16/01/2013 at 01:28

Def more with no nav! And more generous time limits. A 100 miler with no nav with a time limit around 35/36 hours would be good. Within 150 miles of Manchester!

The only 100 I've found with no nav & 36 hr limit is Enduroman, but 1 mile laps not really ideal. And it's way down south. Still entered... 

17/01/2013 at 12:10

Would there be a chance of a 100 mile race in the North or Scotland. The West Highland Way is iconic and I'm doing it again this year but is pretty much the only very long race (LD100 as well) up here. I'm sure that you could link a number of excellent trails to get to 100 miles. I also notice that the Thames Path 100 has become extremely popular after only one year. I put this down to it being an "easy" 100 miler (expecting lots of abusive replies at this point!). People are attracted to the iconic 100 miles, easy terrain and reduced navigation - I think.

Great to get more events - surprising how popular ultras have become.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 38 of 38 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.