Ultra - A world of adventures

the thread for our random adventures.....

10 messages
Dark Vader    pirate
16/09/2012 at 06:10

If, like me, you like to make up your own little ultra distance runs and adventures then post the details and photos here...

Last Saturday I did the 45 miles of the GUC from Tring to Paddington.   Next weekend, weather permitting, I shall have a go at SDW going East to West from Eastbourne to Winchester.   I'll post photos and a report....

GKD
17/09/2012 at 20:13
DV myself and WiB talked briefly about doing an unsupported SDW sometime in the future, I quite fancy doing it in winter, maybe January. If you're happy I'll ask you a little later how you got on and where you managed to get water/supplies along the way if that's ok?
GKD
18/09/2012 at 11:48

I'm hoping to build up my training over the coming months on the local long-distance trails to me: The Dava Way, The Speyside Way and the Moray Coastal Trail ... if I joined them all together they'd make a nice (??) 98ish mile triangular shaped challenge ... also hoping to get out on some hill run adventures too so although no-one else is likely to be up here to enjoy them will happily post the odd report and photo.

Dark Vader    pirate
18/09/2012 at 12:07

Lirish..   it's looking good for the weekend...  I have the Harvey map and there are water taps marked on it...   it looks perfectly feasible to do self-supported...   I'll report back next week with some feedback..

GKD
18/09/2012 at 12:24
DV I did Amberley to Eastbourne as a recce run for the SDW which I think worked out as about 53 miles and there was quite a few taps spread out here and there, not sure about the other half though which I think I'll be your second part?
GKD
18/09/2012 at 14:57

I ran some of Peddars Way at the weekend. Just done a bit of research, it's a rather pleasant 46.3m, so I think that might make a nice challenge for a winter training run. There's a few miles of road, then a lot of field paths, so it will be a balancing act for waiting until the long grass/vegetation has died back (it's not a hugely popular route) but not too long that it's got VERY muddy...

Would be nice to have some company, but as no-one lives around here I guess it's going to be a solo expedition!

18/09/2012 at 15:35

you and me both ultrarocker, not many people up here who fancy the longer explorations either.

Can't recall anything useful re taps etc for the SDW I'm afraid, the race went in something of a blur.  On James blog, when he did that unsupported run he listed a few valid waterstops I think?

Dark Vader    pirate
23/09/2012 at 08:41

LIrish...    I was out on SDW yesterday..    it is definitely do-able solo..  the water taps are well marked and positioned.  The terrain was so much harder and hillier than I expected though....   I am rubbish at hills and really need to focus on that and the result was that my progress was slow.   It wasn't helped that I had to carry my powders for fuelling, but really I'm just rubbish at hills...!

Lovely run..  superb location and views and very enjoyable.

23/09/2012 at 15:49

Hey DV - sounds like a good run nonetheless...

I've just read a bit about National Trails etc - if I get on Peddars Way at the North Norfolk coast (nearest trail to me) apparently I could get all the way to Lyme Regis on the Dorset Coast!! Peddars Way links to the Icknield Way, which links to, then criss-crosses, the Ridgeway, which then links to the Wessex Ridgeway, down to the coast....

Now that would be a challenge - perhaps for my 50th...

04/10/2012 at 13:05

Dark Vader, I am in awe of your plan to run the SDW!  I have the Harvey's map and used it on a walk from Eastbourne to Winchester some years ago.  I don't know what your food plans are and how much you will carry, but I just wanted to say that the shop marked on the map at the village of Washington is no longer there. 

My own little baby-ultra plan was to run the Avon Valley Path this summer from Salisbury to Christchurch (35m).  Unfortunately we had those 6 weeks of rain leading up to my planned dates and the path was underwater in lots of places, so I postponed the run and will try again next year.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
10 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.