Ultra running book

9 messages
31/10/2012 at 09:44
Hi, Anyone recommend a decent book for an ultra run training for 32 miles. I have only run marathon and want to read up about type of training required before taking the challenge.
GKD
31/10/2012 at 09:51
Page 1. Train for the specific event you're running by incorporating the type of terrain used in your weekly runs.
Page 2. Add 3-5 miles to your weekly long run and 2-3 miles to your longest midweek run.
Page 3. The end
GKD
WiB
31/10/2012 at 10:08

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=50k+training+plan 

I think a book would be a bit overkill really.

Edited: 31/10/2012 at 10:09
WiB
31/10/2012 at 11:54

Hi Dylan

I'd say Relentless Forward Progress by Bryon Powell is a good starter level book, with lots of info, a few schedules etc. Nice and easy to read as well, without being too basic.

31/10/2012 at 11:58
Thanks Ultra rocker. Funny you should say that as I was just reviewing that on Amazon and looked good with favourable reviews. Nice to have a positive helpful response, cheers.
pmo
31/10/2012 at 12:49

The only downside to RFP is that most of the content is available for free on irunfar.com - if you read ultra blogs and a few other sites, you've probably already read 70% of the book.

Still nice to have it all in one place, and available off-line

pmo
31/10/2012 at 13:30

The other one i'd recommend is A Step Beyond, which you have to order from the States. A lot more in-depth, with some content a bit less relevant as it's race specific (ie Western States, Badwater etc) but a very good book nonetheless, especially as it has a Humour section that is very funny.

http://www.ultrarunning.com/ultra/merchandise/a-step-beyonda-definitive.shtml

WiB
31/10/2012 at 13:32

Lore of Running - Tim Noakes. Cover to cover.

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.

Edited: 31/10/2012 at 13:32
WiB
31/10/2012 at 14:21
WiB wrote (see)

Lore of Running - Tim Noakes. Cover to cover.

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.

I seriously couldn't finish it! I dip in and out occasionally if I want to know something specific... The biggest drawback with that is the ultra section is a bit heavily biased to Comrades from memory...

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
9 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.