Ultra shoe

What shoes to get?

21 to 27 of 27 messages
12/12/2011 at 08:12

Hi Ben

Cheers for that - as it happens I run in Brooks Adrenaline on the road - do you mean the Goretex lined version for trails? Or is there an alternative non Goretex lined off road version?

Si

12/12/2011 at 11:00

I use Brooks Adrenaline on the road & Brooks Adrenaline ASR off road. The latter are possibly the most comfortable pair of shoes I have ever run in and am have tempted to use them as road shoes too!.

Bought some Roclite 315 earlier this year but just can't get on with them - great grip but sore calves every time. Althought I'm pretty small and light, I think I run quite "heavy" - short legs so lots of steps!!

12/12/2011 at 11:42

Hi Rich

I know what you mean about short!! LOL

When you say off road, what kind of surfaces are you talking about? Mud, rocks, fells etc? Or more easy going made trails?

Si

12/12/2011 at 11:50

well.......I've quite happily used them for High Peak 40, at Caesars Camp, and for the Brecons Ultra. Probably at their limit for the Brecons which was a more "felly" course and later in year. But they're great for the conditions of most ultras esp if not too muddy.

Essentially they are the off road/trail version of the Adrenaline

12/12/2011 at 19:58
If Brooks work for your feet then the Cascadia is the way to go. I think they are moor grippy than the Adrenalin and still have good cushioning for longer ultras.
11/08/2012 at 08:27

Anyone got any thoughts on ultra shoes for heavy footed runners? Most of the shoes appear to have been developed with input from race winners who by definition have great running stile and are light on there feet.

As I am 13 st with the gait of a knackered hippo I tend to destroy shoes! What has worked so far are Salomon XT Wings. I could do with a little more traction for fell ultras. 

All the emphasis on light weight is well and good but if you are int 100 milers and the shoe only lasts for 200 miles of training before breaking up then it all gets expensive.

11/08/2012 at 17:05

New Balance have launched a new trail shoe, I don't think it will suit the UK fells having been developed in the states in partnership with Leadville but may be OK on trail, it is badged as a 'traditional shoe' in contrast to NB's more recent minimal offerings.

http://www.irunfar.com/2012/08/best-trail-running-shoes-of-outdoor-retailer-summer-2012.html#New_Balance_Leadville_MT1210

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 27 of 27 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.