Ultras Why ? and how will it all end

Explaining to others and raising the bar.

21 to 36 of 36 messages
12/01/2013 at 11:02

Very interesting WIB. 

I assumed that all ultra runners simply had the same dysfunctions as myself. 

seren nos    pirate
12/01/2013 at 11:32

I think that its a way of seeing what you can actually achieve.so you have done marathon............and didn't die..can you manage 50 miles in a day..can you climb around the mountains..........

i do love the meeting of others and the fact its an all day picnic..........I will probably go longer again next year................

this year i'm cutting back to see if i can go faster at the shorter distaces...........i want a faster single Ironman time this year

12/01/2013 at 12:30

What I have enjoyed most about running is standing on a start line and not knowing if I can finish, from my first 10k onwards; I suspect this will drive me to go longer; I am working on trying to get the same buzz from getting to the finish line under a certain time however as yet its the difficulty, be that distance, terrain, ascent or all three that gives me the butterflys at both ends of the race.

Enjoying the outdoors, meeting new people, being fit and healthy are all very welcome bi-products of me chasing that nervous excitement and finishing euphoria.

Edited: 12/01/2013 at 12:33
17/01/2013 at 12:38

You do ultras for the scenery?? Don't think so. You are either head down, in the dark, in the mist or can't see cos your vision has become blurred. If you want scenery - go for a walk.

Obsessive - I'm not obsessive nor single-minded. Anyone that tells me otherwise is warped and better get out of my way!

Ha - the people. Do you really run ultras to meet people? As BD says - we're all dysfunctional anyway.

I've no idea why I enjoy ultras so much, but it certainly is addictive. As several of you say, maybe it is that looking back with rose tinted spectacles and remembering crossing the finish and the huge sense of satisfaction but forgetting most of the bits between the start and the finish.

17/01/2013 at 20:35
EKGO wrote (see)
It has to be I feel like I came in at about 1001 in my last ulta

EKGO- that made me laugh and you are absolutely right - a lot of the time it does feel that way indeed...but who cares as long as we enjoyed it.

Hillheader wrote (see)

You do ultras for the scenery?? Don't think so. You are either head down, in the dark, in the mist or can't see cos your vision has become blurred. If you want scenery - go for a walk.

Obsessive - I'm not obsessive nor single-minded. Anyone that tells me otherwise is warped and better get out of my way!

Ha - the people. Do you really run ultras to meet people? As BD says - we're all dysfunctional anyway.

I've no idea why I enjoy ultras so much, but it certainly is addictive. As several of you say, maybe it is that looking back with rose tinted spectacles and remembering crossing the finish and the huge sense of satisfaction but forgetting most of the bits between the start and the finish.

HH, of course lots of us do it for the scenery- it doesnt always have to be head down and see nothing. on training runs half the enjoyment and fun is being with others OR alone and stopping to take in where you are.

i agree its definately addictive , for lots of reasons. for most of us id say its a mixture of getting out and about, meeting others, the feeling of achievment, and the wondering of if you can next time run 'just a few miles more'

17/01/2013 at 21:10
I'll be doing my first ultra in April. As and when I get to meet a few of you, I'll tell you where on my own personal spectrum of madness you come. If you like.

I'm doing it because I can, I think, and I feel like I'm massively in tune with myself and everything round me when I run. So let's run for longer.
17/01/2013 at 22:14

Right Lou, who cares, what matters is you enjoy the day, you get to the finish, you survive, you say the usual (Never again etc) and on the way home, you're planning your next one

18/01/2013 at 15:39
EKGO wrote (see)

Right Lou, who cares, what matters is you enjoy the day, you get to the finish, you survive, you say the usual (Never again etc) and on the way home, you're planning your next one

so true EKGO!! i remember having a thought like that on that hot weekend in may of the dukeries/northants ultras we did. then on way home in car was thinking ' so glad i did that ' - lets do it again' !

20/01/2013 at 21:28

Ok I must fess up . I started this thread cos I was bricking myself just before The Spine.

Why did I enter?     I felt the need  to answer the question "could I"

I loved every aspect of it.  THE SCENERY

20/01/2013 at 22:42

Congratulations. 

23/01/2013 at 21:26
I'm running my first Ultra in May (L2B) and can't wait. People ask me why and I just say why not? For me it's raising the bar from traditional distances and seeking the sense of achievement that not everyone has, especially with Half Marathons becoming more and more popular
24/01/2013 at 09:38

Having read some of the blogs and posts about it I can well imagine why you LOVED it Ian.  As a fan of mountain marathons and expedition style stuff I am seriously considering this one for next year ... but need to get the family to buy into the whole thing first!

24/01/2013 at 18:58

Cragchick yes expedition with a wiff of competition . The spine takes all the motivation discussed on this thread but heightens all the emotional elements (perhaps it,s the sleep depravation) 

24/01/2013 at 20:56

I am an expert on sleep deprivation - my daughter didn't sleep through the night for about three whole years!!! Now she is nearly six I am finally getting used to it again though ...

That's what appeals to me - the expo side but with competition.  So many more elements than just being able to run fast (I tend on the middle of the pack to sometimes right at the back of the pack side of things!!).  Reading your write-up on the actual thread was fab.  Anyway, need to get past current ankle niggle but am thinking about it hard

24/01/2013 at 21:14

When  they open for 2014 I recon most of the 2013 spiners will enter again . They are talking about 75 for the Spine Challenger and 75 for the full spine. The places will go fast.

This race will never get much larger as the logistics of running CP,s 45miles apart with full serious medical backup (they put 3 stitches in one mans leg in a corner  of a pub). Not to mention that they are running an in house mountain rescue team for 7days continually for runners that may be 80+miles apart. Just getting the right drop bag to the right CP is not easy.  It would not surprise me if before long you will have to have done the Challenger before you can enter the full Spine. The vetting of entries will also become more strict as demand increases.

24/01/2013 at 21:27
Agree with everything Ian has written re The Spine. I have taken part in both runnings of the event and I love it and 'the Spine family'. It ticks all the boxes for me - adventure, scenery, challenge, camaraderie etc etc . By far the hardest thing I've ever done and my finishers medal will always sit well above all others.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 36 of 36 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.