Up the long run or increase the next-day run?

Which have people found better?

21 to 31 of 31 messages
13/12/2012 at 18:05

Debra

Just come across this thread and I'm in a similar situation that you were (although I've done 5 road marathons). I know you've moven on some-what now so i'm interested to hear how you would now answer your own original question

13/12/2012 at 18:11
What event are you training for? I did my first 50k last yr, had done 4 previous marathons. My training wasn't that much different than my marathon training apart from a couple of longer runs. Also trained on similar terrain to the race.
13/12/2012 at 18:19

Millsy

It's the Endurancelife CTS.

I've done 5 road marathons and very happy with my schedule for that, but have noticed that on many 50K schedules they work on easy day/hard day with more of a focus on the B2Bs

14/12/2012 at 11:18

Sounds like a good plan you're running to.  Another option is to increase the effort of the second day - get used to putting  ore effort into those tired legs.  So you could build to 20-25/10, and then for the next two b2bs you increase the effort/pace on the 10.

16/12/2012 at 11:03

I am hoping to complete my first ultra next summer and have adopted a training plan that goes pretty much like this:

Saturday (long run) - currently 18km

Sunday (just run) - currently 10km

Monday/Tuesday - off

Wednesday (tempo run) - currently 8-10km

Thursday (shorter run) currently 8km

Friday off

I plan to stick pretty much to this, but gadually increase the distances as we go through the year ... I think the "back to back" effect will help me more.

16/12/2012 at 15:54

Shoes: sorry, didn't get a "reply posted" e-mail and only just saw this. I was happy I'd done the B2Bs for both my 50K and NDW 50 during 2012, and I would recommend them. I've mostly maxed at c.26-30/c.10 but I've gone to c.30/c15 a couple of times. Not yet tried the "shortish fast run then LSR on tired legs the next day".

Wiganer: looks like a good schedule. I've been on a roughly similar but five day a week schedule based on short-semi long-short for Tue, Wed Thur then LSR Sat and second run Sun. Sometimes e.g. parkrun or XC on Saturday so LSR Sun and second run Mon, then Tuesday off.

17/12/2012 at 09:11

Thanks Debra. i've just worked up my schedule with B2Bs but I think I'll do the Sunday one on road (for a change of shoes and surface) Also, I'd started out using the Ultraladies plan as a guide with easy/hard alternate weeks, but felt nervous about that as I'm used to building up for 3/4 weeks then drop down for a week, then build up again.

17/12/2012 at 11:36

Shoes: Sounds fine (re. 2nd day on tarmac, if thats what's right for you). As for the schedule, if you look at their 50-mile schedule you'll see it's very similar to the 50K training but with a drop-down week every third week, not alternate. So if building for three weeks seems right for you, do it that way. I consider schedules as useful starting points so i don't have to think it all up from scratch, but the more I do, and the more different schedules I see, the less I feel the need to follow one precisely.

The plans in "Relentles Forward Progress" have a drop-down week every fourth week initially, then every third week, then every other week towards the end. Obviously the idea is to reduce the risk of TMTS injuries, but you know what should work for your body - just err on the side of caution.

17/12/2012 at 12:31

Hi Debra - at what stage did you start your run/walk strategy ? Like you, I am entered in LB50 in September and that is my first ultra. Before then I am in the Manchester and Lake Coniston marathons.

So, come the new year, I am starting to increase the mileage on my LSR runs (Saturdays). I am also going to incorporate another longish, approx 10-12 mile run on Sunday. If I started the run/walk strategy now would it interfere with my marathon training i.e. I ideally want to run the marathons without having to walk. I'm just wondering when would be the best time to bring in run/walk as part of my training ?

Cheers

17/12/2012 at 16:43

Hi carterusm, I've never used an official walk/run strategy. Kept meaning to try it, but on hilly training run (which is practically all of my long runs) it's simplest just to go for "walk the uphills". Even when training for the London Ultra which was less hilly, my walking/stopping breaks on my 26+ mile training runs were simply when I needed to read the instructions and check where I was on the map (and I had similar stops when following e.g. NDW or Vanguard Way).

For what you're training for, I'd suggest don't bother with a run/walk strategy unless you really feel you need it. Note: from my experience those Sunday runs are going to feel tough, particularly at first; you may want to start them at 6-8 miles and work up to 10-12 - and expect them to be slow.

For Thames Trot, which is much flatter than NDW etc., I'm thinking I probably ought to try a 25 mins/5 mins run/walk strategy on the day, and should try that out beforehand on a training run, but I've not yet had the opportunity(!) - maybe this coming weekend if my ankle is more comfortable and I decide to go for a 20+ mile run (I did about 17.5 yesterday, so I'm hopeful).

18/12/2012 at 23:06
Hi Debra - as you know I'm in the ladybower 50. I can't remember if you've run this one before or not but it isn't particularly hilly (if you recall I had a run round ladybower and got lost when I took a detour and it was you who suggested I might want to consider an ultra ). I don't want to get caught into the trap of trying to run the whole distance as that could lead to me blowing up and possibly not being able to carry on. So I guess it might be just a case of stopping/slowing down to eat and drink. The day after I ran ladybower I did a 10 miler and, as you say, it was really hard going. Time to re-introduce some more back to backs I think ! You only mention your training runs, what strategy did you adopt on your first 50 miler, a deliberate run/walk or as and when you felt like it ? Hope your ankle is better soon

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 31 of 31 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.