UTMB 2013?

Planning ahead

1 to 20 of 185 messages
07/05/2012 at 15:56

There might be a UTMB 2012 thread in RW somewhere but a quick scout didn't find anything. Please direct me if wrong!

Am thinking about 2013 now - got to plan ahead for some of these big events. This year's running is going well.

Anyone else thinking of next year and UTMB specifically. Also any advice from experienced UTMBers.

07/05/2012 at 16:12

Im looking at maybe 2014 so will keep an eye out on this one.

07/05/2012 at 16:56

I know you need more points ... seven over three races I think, as opposed the original five ... still on my 'to do' list but need the kids to be a bit bigger!

GKD
07/05/2012 at 17:19
Absolutely I'm in, missed out on the ballot this year which gives me guaranteed entry next year, also missed out on the GUCR and Tor des Geants ballots too so someone's trying to tell me something.
There's a couple here who've done multiple, Mark777 being one I think. Just did CCC last year but it was incredible and given the choice I'll be back every year
GKD
07/05/2012 at 18:37

I am working to assemble the necessary points as we speak (got seven, just not over 3 races). 

Baring a very long run of bad luck, I will have them by December. 

07/05/2012 at 20:39

I'm debating CCC - I know i'm not ready for UTMB yet, that's a longer dream, but I think just to be part of something, to be in CCC would be amazing. However, I also think it may need a lot of thought/planning on my part with regard to life amongst other things!

08/05/2012 at 09:05

How's the Centurion triple planning going BD?

Good to hear you are getting in LIrish. If you miss out on the ballot in one year do you automatically get in the next year?

I've got 8 points from 3 races. Should have 10 from 3 by December. Not sure if extra points help? Its the height loss that worries me most about UTMB. Ascending I can cope with.

Any ideas on chances of getting in?

There was another thread here about telling partners / friends about entering ultra races. I think I will enter first and tell later if I get in as no point in using up any goodwill if my entry gets knocked back!

GKD
08/05/2012 at 09:41
Hh extra points mean nothing, as long as you have the required ones you'll have the same chance as everyone else.at the moment if you're refused in the ballot you get guaranteed entry the following year, as long as you still have the required points.
The ascent and descent swerve like nothing I'd every experienced before. As is my way I didn't really study the course profile before I went but suffice to say it was brutal, even for the shorter course of the CCC. Think hands on knees ascents for over an hour.
As is said in my earlier post the UTMB is something I'll come back to again and again, that whole week in chamonix was incredible, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone
GKD
08/05/2012 at 15:10

Don't think I am going to do the triple this year Hillheader, though I might be able to boast at the end of the year that I have either participated in or marshaled for all the Centurion events!

09/05/2012 at 15:34

I'm considering it too... although maybe CCC or TDS would be the better start ? I'm on my way to 6 points but need to book another event to have a shot at UTMB, even if that does make sense for a novice...   4 points will hopefully come from Ring o'Fire in Wales, which has about 5 places left and likely to sell out this week as only 100 allowed for first year.

09/05/2012 at 20:05

Daft question maybe.   What is a good stepping stone for this?  Lakelands 50?  Then 100?

09/05/2012 at 20:31

Spen - that's roughly the route I'm thinking - this year I'm doing Dukeries, Osmotherley Phoenix then (hopefully!!) peaking for Ultra Trail Peak District - 57ish miles and quite hilly (and 2 points for UTMB, ie enough for CCC and TDS)

Next year will depend to some extent on this year - but I'm already thinking Fellsman then Lakeland 100

After that...well, I'll see how i'm getting on!!

09/05/2012 at 21:01

Maybe Fellsman and Lakeland50 next year.

10/05/2012 at 17:28

I also have eyes on 2014 for the UTMB, and 2013 for CCC. Have got the IOW ultra and NDW 50 planned for this year (2 points a piece) and if I get lucky in the CCC balot then provided I complete all that gives me enough. Am looking at others too just incase of injury or god forbid a DNF in one or more of the above. 

Fellsman looks good for next year, quite fancy the look of the Hardmoors races too.

12/05/2012 at 21:33

Anyone know the odds of getting in? Not sure of other races I'd like to do instead. Did (for a minute!) think of The Spine but I think that is a bit stupid at moment.

GKD
12/05/2012 at 22:04
Last year odds for the long course were just over one in three I believe, I'm sure it'll be on their site somewhere
GKD
15/05/2012 at 11:59

Chance of getting in is about 50%, but that will certainly decrease in future years due to new regs.  Chance of finishing is less than 50% - doesn't matter whether you're fast or slow.  For example, Scott Jurek has only finished once in five attempts (in 17th), and multiple MdS winner Mo Ahansal finished his only attempt in 125th place!

Despite being currently injured and having to miss this year's GUCR, I have a place in UTMB for the sixth year running.  I've had 3 finishes and 2 abandons previously, and have been round the course in training another 4 or 5 times.  Happy to help with any advice.  Just DM me or ask on here.

I did a race report on how it beat me up last year on another thread, so I'll dig it out in case anyone finds it useful/interesting.  Just to put it in context, I'm no elite, but I'm no beginner either.  I've run 40 ultras in the past 10 years, including a few podiums a couple of wins and course records and I've a marathon PB of 2.45.  Four weeks before last years race I went round the course on my own unsupported in three stages and took 28 hours.  But the cumulative effect on the race was much harder than I anticipated, despite having done it before & knowing every inch of the racecourse...

...ah, here it is

20/05/2012 at 04:35

Sounds like a fanstastic event LIrish - thanks for the recommendation. Thanks Dan - great tale. you must know every bend in the race by now. Will no doubt poke you for info nearer the time.

I've entered an obscure event in the US called Pinhoti in November. That will be my only other 100 mile event this year. Going to use this as a feeler for fitness with about 9000 ft of ascent.

23/05/2012 at 02:03
For those that are interested here's my race report from a few years ago http://andydubois.blogspot.com.au/search/label/Ultra%20Trail%20Mont%20Blanc

For all those wondering whether you are capable or not and what would be a stepping stone to the UTMB, I don't think you necessarily need a stepping stone provided you train correctly. It was my second ultra ( there were no qualifying points needed back in 2007) and I had a great day out. No days to qualify you must have finished more than one ultra on trails , so if you have qualified then go for it.
Just be aware that it really doesn't compare to a race like the SDW 100 miles or GU135. Lakeland 100, and Hardmoors 110 would be the closest in comparison

The key factor is doing the ascent descent in training. There are no flat sections of the course so training on the flat is a waste of time. As much as possible of your training needs to be on hills .Have read of this article on hill training http://www.mile27.com.au/downhill-running/

Any questions feel free to ask.
06/07/2012 at 16:31

This will be my first UTMB and I am pretty much kitted out except for the long sleeve warm garment of at least 180g or a 2 piece combination of base/mid layer with windproof jacket. any suggestions?

1 to 20 of 185 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.