wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

221 to 240 of 8,256 messages
19/09/2011 at 08:07
ben im sure you are right, it really cant be that difficult. am pretty much decided i may give northants a go
19/09/2011 at 17:36

A newbie question- my race has put out the course on a Garmin - compatible format, as well as planning to give us maps at the start. Is it OK to use Garmin for directions?- I can put it on as a "course" and just follow the arrows- is this considered unethical?

I am a little unsure of the battery life for my Garmin - but hopefully it will hold out for a 33miler.

Did my last LSR before the marathon today- 15 miles, marathon taper underway, then I'm going to need to recover from that before any more trainig, by which time I'm tapering for the Ultra!- how long do I taper for a 33miler, if I've not been training before- just running a marathon?- I know the marathon will be a good training run for the 33miles, as long as I don't damage myself, but it's taken me a month to get back to "normal" running  after marathons in the past, and I have .......guess what, a month between the 2!

This could be very interesting!

19/09/2011 at 18:02
Lou I think I am going to train for th Northants one to.
19/09/2011 at 19:11

im only going on what ive read tricia..(im such a nerdy swot lol)taperfor the ultra is roughly same as for marathon, but as you only have month in between the two id maybe have 10-12 days off after the mara and then do a 18-20 mile on the weekend in between and then do the ultra?....i think thats how id do it depending on how i feltbut like i say i could be talking total tosh as ive never done it! lol....i think im going to be learning by my errors.......

spen are you near northants? i may be following you then if my map reading isnt up to much...but i plan on having a Garmin by then with GPS!

19/09/2011 at 21:06
I live in Birmingham Lou so thinking next year maybe the Northants one then JW.
19/09/2011 at 21:45

tricialitt

I would normally allow a taper of two weeks for a 30 miler or a 50 in exactly the same way as for a marathon.  I would allow a slightly longer taper for a 100 miler.  I often slingshot one event off another, and  I don't think that a three or four week layoff does you any harm.  An enforced layoff  is often a blessing in disguise. 

I have just completed the High peak 40 a month after I finished the NDW 100.  I did no training runs between the two events that were longer than 8 miles.  Earlier this year I ran the London Ultra, two weeks after I finished the Thames Trot.  I did not run at all between the two events. 

In your case I would suggest that you take it easy between the two events.  Perhaps try a 6 m ile run 1 week to ten days after the marathon, depending on how you feel.  If you do a long run between the two races, then do it at the two week mark, and make it no more than 15 miles. 

19/09/2011 at 22:50
spen71 wrote (see)
I live in Birmingham Lou so thinking next year maybe the Northants one then JW.

oh yes you said you were near the start of JW didnt you, sorry....thats my plan too, maybe northants, then JW, then Abingdon marathon....im scaring myself now
20/09/2011 at 09:18

oh yes you said you were near the start of JW didnt you, sorry....thats my plan too, maybe northants, then JW, then Abingdon marathon....im scaring myself now

Hahaa   Ive entered the London Ballot, want to do it so can tick off the list off to do.  If that does not come about I will have to see what to do different.,

20/09/2011 at 09:19

Hurray! Can I join the Northants crew too???  Looks like its a popular choice for 1st Ultras. Im toying with the idea of Lakeland 50 in the summer too..... May as well dive right in!!!

Anyone doing the Rosedale Rumble? It will be my first race with a required kit-list.... Trying to figure out how not to spend a fortune. I'll only be doing the 13 mile course

20/09/2011 at 16:09

hi karen, would northants be your first ultra? alpologies if you have already said yay or nay before , i cant keep up sometimes!....northants crew is a good name for us...lol..

so we have :NORTHANTS CREW SIGN UP LIST 2012:

spen71

loula

20/09/2011 at 21:12
Yep it would be my 1st ultra so you can add me to the list! Cant believe Im talking about an ultra - scary and exciting at the same time!!!
20/09/2011 at 21:22
I may enter Northants over the next couple of weeks,  Need to check my bank balance/
20/09/2011 at 21:34
How did I miss this thread?

Mind if I gatecrash?

I haven't read back properly but did my first 50km ultra this summer and loved it. I also did a couple of LDWA marathons this year plus VLM. Tomorrow morning I'm doing the Great Barrow Challenge - 4 marathons in 4 days.

When is Northants and how far is it?
20/09/2011 at 22:08
Hi Spoons.   Northants is 35 miles  27th May.
20/09/2011 at 22:13
spoons, can you mapread?
20/09/2011 at 22:14

so we have :NORTHANTS CREW SIGN UP LIST 2012:

spen71

loula

karen

20/09/2011 at 22:25
Map read? Dunno. I'm OK at reading LDWA style directions if that's what you mean.

TL then BR at PSB

35 miles is fine for me and Northants isn't a million miles away either.....
Edited: 20/09/2011 at 22:25
20/09/2011 at 22:47

The Northants ultra was my first, and since there seems to be a lot of interest in it, I will make a couple of observations. 

It is a very picturesque event and beginner friendly.  The start and finish line is in the grounds of Lamport Hall, and the route takes you round a circuit of rural Northants.  You soon see why it is called "The rose of the Shires".  The course is mainly tails, bridal ways and fields, but with some country lanes.  The time limit is generous, so you can work at a slow pace and its not the end of the world if you take a detour. 

This event has some big hills and requires some navigation, which I consider to be a good thing in a first ultra.  It will force you to develop the tactics and skills that you will need for longer events, such as matching run walk strategy to terrain, map reading, and managing your food/liquid requirements on the go.  If you picked a flat 30 mile event, then you would have to go through that learning curve at a later time in a longer event. 

20/09/2011 at 23:34

For those who have no experience of navigating, this site gives a virtual demo:

http://geographyfieldwork.com/UsingCompassDemo.htm

It really is just a case of taking a map and compass out to a local beauty spot and playing around until you are comfortable with it. 

21/09/2011 at 11:34

Thanks for the race description Ben - it sounds great!!! Still have to tell my other half that Im doing it... He's very supportive but thinks Im mental as it is!!!

I've decided not to do the Rosedale Rumble this year, even though it sould like a really good event. It would be the 1st 'required kit list' event I do and I have hardly anything from the list. I think it would turn out to be a pretty expensive race and only 2 months away. Will try and pick up all the gear gradually over the next few months because I would love to do more trail stuff

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.