wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

261 to 280 of 8,329 messages
23/09/2011 at 20:34

Loulabell

As I understand it, there is noting to stop you from entering the Northants ultra now if you want to.  Just go to the Gobeyond site and the calendar of events should have the relevant link. 

Karen

Good kit is important, but it doesn't have to cost a fortune e.g. 

Waterproof £40 for a good one less for an adequate one. 

Compass £4 or £10 for a good one. 

Whistle £1.50

23/09/2011 at 21:49
Hi all. Marathon number 3 done and dusted. Just one more to go tomorrow. Everything is starting to ache now and I'm walking like John Wayne lol.

Loula - I agree that most ultra events are pretty small and have a really good friendly bunch of people there.
24/09/2011 at 07:26
crikey spoons.....are you doing the same route 4 times or different ones? sorry you must have sais earlier but i leep forgetting what people have said
24/09/2011 at 16:54
Afternoon folks! 36 ish miles on the northants course complete, now time for a bath and a date with a cold magnets and the x factor! I has forgotton just what a lovely course it is, and this time I didn't go wrong as much as race day in 2010!!
24/09/2011 at 18:18
Well done Mr.F, you did well not to get lost, always a tricky bit over the fields leading up to Long Buckby and the fields over to West Haddon. Enjoy your recovery!
24/09/2011 at 18:28
I still can't master the section coming out the back of the golf club either. No matter how well I stick to the map I always come out at a junction further down the road! I think the maps wrong....!
24/09/2011 at 19:04
Mr F, re the golf course, i know what you mean, ignore the first FP in Harlestone and take the second one then head towards the golf course, you actually then have to cut diagonally over what feels like the greens/fairway which does not feel right but its correct to do this. Then you climb up a steep field and it brings you out on the main road opposite the FP on the other side.

Hope you can visualise some of that and it makes a bit of sense!

What you did several people also did this year so its easily done. At least you did not head off into N/hampton town like some runners did!!!

I will be running the course next w/end minus the Lamport to Cottesbrook bit.

24/09/2011 at 19:15
Ahhh the map definitely tells you to chose the first foot path. Ah well, at least my detour doesn't affect mileage! Hope you have a good run next weekend, it really is a great course, and luckily for me I can be at lamport in 30mins. Just makes for a nice change and there a few nice local shops en route to stock up on drinks. I looked a right state when I called into long buckby sandwich shop for some bottled water earlier!
24/09/2011 at 19:53
Ha, at least they served you!! The course is good, i live in W.Haddon and regularly run parts of the course, its spectacular on a cold frosty winters morning. Not too keen on the road sections in the actual race tho but thats just being picky!

Whats your next ultra race?
24/09/2011 at 20:28
My next race is leicester marathon on 9th Oct, no other races booked in - other than TP100 of course!
I lived in Rugby for the first 21years of my life and had a gf in west haddon! Small world! now live further towards Leamington Spa. Your right, you can walk out onto this course in seconds!
24/09/2011 at 22:09
Loula - I'm doing (well just finished actually) the Great Barrow Challenge which is 4 marathons in 4 days, all starting and finishing in the same place but 4 different routes. 4th day is finished and it went well. Strangely the best day of the 4 in fact. Now I need a new challenge........

Well done Mr F
25/09/2011 at 07:11
Great going spoons, that's some achievement!
25/09/2011 at 19:25
arghhhhh spoons.....a very well done to you...i dont think i could do that !! lol
25/09/2011 at 19:34

OK a REALLY stupid question here- how do I know how slow to pace myself for a 33mile race?

I'm doing a marathon next weekend, and expect to be 4:00- 4:15. I need a vague conversion- bearing in mind that I won't really have done much long running - any ideas? I am happy enough run/ walking anyway , as I have used that strategy in earlier marathons ( hoping not to this time!). Any ideas?

Should I just run/ walk at a slow pace, and walk the uphills , and hope for the best? Or is there a better way to try to organise myself?- I WOULD like to finish in day light!

25/09/2011 at 19:39
id DEF walk the uphills, save energy where you can!!
25/09/2011 at 19:42
Tricia, I'd say if your gonna do a marathon in that time 33m will not trinkets you too much. For a fiesta ultra it will be a bit of suck it and see, but but just listen to your body and enjoy it. Ultras are so much more relaxed. No sprinting from checkpoints, grabbing drinks whilst still running etc! Stick to your run walk strategy and as you say run the ups and jog the other bits. Good luck and enjoy it! Where are you running?
25/09/2011 at 19:57

im absorbing all advice i read on here!!...and im going to write down that bit about the golf course !! lol

25/09/2011 at 21:02

tricialit

You essentially walk the parts of the route that will-

A. Sap your energy most if you run them

B. Give you a minimal return in terms of speed over walking them.

For example if you run up a very steep hill, you will be slowed down to little more than walking speed, and your legs will be totally shot at the top of it.  It makes much better tactical sense to walk up it, suffer a slight penalty in terms of speed, but have a recharged set of legs at the top. 

In a hilly event, I walk up the hills but run the flats and downhills.  In a flat event I will walk sections that are very boggy, or where I am going into a strong headwind.  In a longer event with a flat profile, I might have to adopt a strategy of run 25 minutes then walk 5. As I get weaker, the ratio might shift to 20/5 and then 15/5.  I don't expect this to be necessary with a 33 mile event though.  Just walk anything where the game wont be wort the candle and you will be fine. 

25/09/2011 at 21:03

Mr F

I also am in the Leicester marathon and the TP100!

25/09/2011 at 21:05
absorbing...absorbing...absorbing info
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.