wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

281 to 300 of 8,295 messages
25/09/2011 at 21:24
Agree with Ben, stay in your comfort zone, when the legs burn walk a little and as stated dont waste energy running uphills especially in an ultra, just not worth it! I have perfected the art of "Shuffling" at quite a good pace
25/09/2011 at 21:25
oo shuffling sounds good..more time for eating
25/09/2011 at 22:08
So having taken all of this advice onboard, when is your next ultra loula? Forgive me not reading all the way back thru the thread!
25/09/2011 at 22:10
Tricia - I've only done a 50km which was just under 32 miles. Not knowing what to expect I just jogged round at an easy pace but I did run the lot. I found it was easier than I expected and although everyone overtook me at the start, I overtook most of the in the last few mioes when they were walking

Loula - it was nowhere near as hard as I expected it would be
26/09/2011 at 11:37
Went orienteering for the first time on Saturday - it's made me more confident of my map reading & compass-using skills. I'd recommend it for anyone concerned about their map reading skills. Excellent instruction, good practice and it's going to help me a lot in being more confident if I'm trying to follow a map and instructions on an ultra! There's a night orienteering event Thurday that I'm thinking of going to as well.
26/09/2011 at 12:15
Spoons, great effort. 4 in 4 days is a great achievement, any tips for my measly 2 in 2?
26/09/2011 at 12:21

Thanks, all. I used to be happy with run 10, walk 1, for the marathon distance, so I guess if I start off doing that, making the running slower than usual, plus walking the uphills. it gives me a reasonable start point.

The problem is haveing enough belief if yourself to let everyone else streak off at the start- I think there are only about 40-50 entries in my race ( Glen Ogle ultra- perthshire- whoever it was that asked), and I don't like that ieda of being so totally last that I feel lost!

Am now tapering for the marathon, and then trying  to figure out how to recover, train, go on a holiday, and re- taper, all in the 5 weeks in between! I suspect the amount of trainig in between will be minimal.

26/09/2011 at 12:42
Tiago - run the first one at a comfortable pace and train loads. Good luck

Tricia - when's the marathon and which one?
26/09/2011 at 12:55
Cheers Spoons, I love my training so no problem there. I've been doing back to back lsrs for a few weeks - 22/15 this weekend. What's your next challenge? Does the dot preface mean ironman is already ticked off?
26/09/2011 at 13:37

Okay, training question. I'm now thinking (again) that I might go for the London 50K in February as my first ultra (not actually done a marathon yet). If not then probably Cambridge boundary run in February and then maybe Northants.

Easiest way to do the long run is to go out with my running club on a Sunday morning, then continue running when they stop, if I want to do extra. The training plans I've found for a first 50K both suggest back-to-back long runs, but I'm busy with my local parkrun on Saturdays and fitting in a Monday run of 1.5 - 2 hrs or more is a problem, particularly over the winter with the dark evenings (I prefer to do most of my training on grass, and the park I'd be running in isn't lit). As I understand it, the idea of the second long run is to get your legs used to running while they are tired. If that's so, could I split the second long run into two, and run for say an hour on Monday morning before work then another 1-1.5 hours Monday evening?

26/09/2011 at 14:41
Mr F wrote (see)
So having taken all of this advice onboard, when is your next ultra loula? Forgive me not reading all the way back thru the thread!

im going for the NHU35 mr F..thats why im taking on board everything you say!! lol...

spoons, im glad you said that, and in actual fact my brain seems to cope with the idea of an ultra better than a marathon..i think because as said before, its a more relaxed event, less people,and not so much emphasis on shaving off milliseconds for a PB ..I did Oxford HM yesterday and to be honest although i enjoyed the run, there were too many people, and the route too innercity/residential for me..i prefer out in the back-of-beyond just running and running with not so many things in th way....so im hoping ultras will suit me

26/09/2011 at 16:39
Lots of low key off road marathons about too

Tiago - the dot is because someone got Spoons before me! I haven't yet decided on my next challenge except I'm doing Norwich Half in 8 weeks. And no - I am not an Ironman.
26/09/2011 at 17:10

marathon is Loch Ness- my 4th go at it- haven't got under 4hrs for it, - closest was less than 2 minutes out. Bit hilly for a good time- will be great training for the ultra, am not going to thrash myself for a good time ( says she..................), try to enjoy it, not obsess about time- I get quite stressed about timing in races, so perhaps ultra races will knock that out of me.

Have just beeen surfing the various scottish ultra sites- I won't be able to recruit a back up crew, so the big ones are out, but may consider clyde stride, next year, maybe glasgow to edinburgh to follow.

Watched a video of UTMB- VERY scary!- I'd never keep my footing on that ice, and the drops below the path would not suit me at all!

26/09/2011 at 17:16
Loula, with what you said about crowded races ultra world is for you!!
26/09/2011 at 17:43
Hmmmmmmmmmmm I am still undecided what to do,    Not sure if I have mentioned this before.  I started running in January this year and got my first marathon in 2 weeks.    I have done ALOT of reading and it seems I am going against the normal advice of leaving it longer before trying a long distance.  So will May next year be too long before doing an Ultra?
26/09/2011 at 19:07
nope , i dont think so spen, see how you get on with the mara first and then decide perhaps...i have never done a marthon...but feel more comfortable attempting an ultra than a mara..as ive said before..i dont like a lot of the 'hype' that goes with big races..nor am i bothered about medals ,crowd support o goodybags much either..im wanting to run them for myself and hopefully meet the lovely friendly  people in ultraworld!!...even yesterday, as nice as people were..you can see everyone sizing each other up continually...i much preferred the route of a very small multi terrain event i did at Highclere castle 2 weekends ago to yesterdays route...Highclere was trail, winding woods that opened onto beautiful fields and slopes to bounce down, changing terrain, scenic...no crowd support in the middle , just  a few on the last mile home..THATS what i like
26/09/2011 at 19:48
Loula, you've got it in one! (insert big smiley)
26/09/2011 at 19:54
...do you think i'll fit in then Mr F?*waits hopefully with fingers crossed*
26/09/2011 at 20:03
Most definitely. I've done London, nottingham and other big city runs but now I just find them too commercial and congested. With ultra everyone is in it for themselves, a bit like a personal mission over the distance. Everyone has their own background, experience and motives but are joined together by a desire to succeed for themselves. I lose count of the young, old, men, women I've run with. Everyone has a story to tell, experiences to draw on. A cameraderie second to none.

A bit of a mouthful there from me, I guess its just something close to my heart that I feel very passionate about. Here endeth the first lesson!
26/09/2011 at 21:27
Loula - look at LDWA events too. It souns like they will be up your street. Use them as training runs for your ultra.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.