wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

321 to 340 of 8,256 messages
27/09/2011 at 08:51
At a look on the website does not seem that many close to me but then I do live in the urban mess that is Birmingham.   Means I will have to increase my carbon footprint but hey ho .   Means I will have to be nice to my ex AGAIN to rearrange access for my daughters so I can fit one of these in ever 6 weeks or so.
27/09/2011 at 14:26
i cant believe how cheap they are to enter too!! there is an 'autumn amble' in Thames valley area soon...i may do that one...except i'll try to be faster than amble
28/09/2011 at 15:40

I'm losing my marbles- I'm worried about getting round the marathon at the weekend ( unless the weather cools down A LOT), and really freaking out about the 33miler in november, and yet I spent monday looking at other ultra'a in scotland.....................there's a 40miler "clyde stride", and a lgasgow- edinburgh "double marathon"..........hmmmmmmm- 50mile+- that's a REAL ultra. After that, I can venture into the mountains, and think of things like the devil O' the highlands.....................

Oh No!!!!!!!!!!!!!! see what's happening? as soon as I persuade myself that I'll be OK, I need to find something more difficult to do- this way lies madness.

28/09/2011 at 17:55
tricia..i think you have 'loula' syndrome..lol...i get so excited about doing events, love training, look forward to them, and before ive done it start   mentally booking in races my head and all the next ones id love to do...then start panicking im not good enough and will crash n burn.........you wont..really you wont...
28/09/2011 at 17:59
i actually started thinking about ultras before id even done a HM...i cant even remember now what started me thinking about ultras but it now seems perfectly normal to me...i looked on ultra running websites last night too....im obsessed !!......is anyone else here 'obsessed'..i think im driving everyone mad at home talking about it...i TRY not to mention it at work...this is the only place i can mention*looks over shoulder and whispers*....'.ultra'......
28/09/2011 at 18:24
With these LDWA events.  Does it have to be the Challenge ones that we can run?
28/09/2011 at 18:27
nope, any i think spen..im sure Mr F will know the definate answer , but from what i read i think any ..have you been on the website thn?
28/09/2011 at 18:30
i have a question that i think may have been asked on RW before but here goes..im going to buy new trainers at weekend, is there any reason that i shouldnt buy 'junior' or 'girls' running trainers?...
28/09/2011 at 19:45
Spen - not sure but I think it says on LDWA website, however I think all the marathon or above distance events are Challenges anyway. I'm on iphone so can't really check now.
28/09/2011 at 21:00

Loulabell

The manufacturers advise against putting adults with small feet in junior shoes.  The theory is that children's feet strike the ground in a slightly different way and this is reflected in the design of the shoes.  There are similar issues with putting women in men's shoes and vice versa.

If you work in running retail they say "do it if you have to, but tell the customer that it might not work".  In practice, nothing bad seems to happen when you do it, and you might have no choice if the customer has small feet.  I have never personally had a pair of junior shoes returned under the 30 day guarantee, after I have sold them to an adult. 

So while I expect that you would be alright, you should be aware of the above issue before making your decision. 

28/09/2011 at 21:19
thank you Ben..i will bear that in mind..i wear Saucony usually but am willing to try different trainers if there are others more suited to longer distance training..is the recommendation of adults in childrens trainers also to do with weight too? my feet arnt particularly small but i weigh only 6st 4lb and thought junior trainers may be lighter for me..
28/09/2011 at 21:42
Sorry Im a bit thick when it comes to searching websites.  I have seen a good one in Powys and I think the small membership is worth it if I only did a couple of Challenges a year.
28/09/2011 at 21:54
OK - LDWA challenge events are like races but usually without a mass start. You can run at all of these. Group walks are for walkers only and everyone stays together in a group. You do not need to be a member to do challenge events but if you do a few a year you will get your money back.
28/09/2011 at 21:57
Cheers Spoons thats what I thought.  Not so many Challenge events by me it seems.  
28/09/2011 at 23:24

Loulabell

The most factor thing for a race like this is, to have a pair of shoes that are well tested and that you are comfortable with.  It is best to use the pair that you have done most of your training mileage in. 

I would use road shoes for an event like the Northants ultra, and the primary consideration in that, would be the fact that there are few places near to my home where you can practice long runs in trail shoes.  By all means experiment with other shoes, but when the race comes and you have to choose your weapon, go with the most proven shoe in the cupboard. 

The issue with junior trainers is based mainly on the assumption that a child's foot strikes the ground in a slightly different way.  Children and adults of small stature are less likely to suffer mechanical problems in any event.  The bigger they are the harder they fall!

29/09/2011 at 00:58
Spen- I Run LDWA event all the time, great value for money and well worth a go, met some friends for life running these event, plenty to eat very friendly and 1/4 of cost of running events and get to see some great places.
29/09/2011 at 02:07
I used my road asics over northants course last sat and they were spot on
29/09/2011 at 06:24
I don't have any trail shoes. I always run in road shoes but 2/3 of my running is off road. Never had a problem yet....
29/09/2011 at 07:33

morning guys..thank you for all the trainer info...there is an 'up&running' store near me which i will go to at the weekend.Saucony are really comfy for me, never get rubbing or blisters and no foot/ankle problems ever...i have however got ITBS at the mo..possibly due to tired trainers or doing higher mileage of late..

Runwithphil/spoons, thanks for the tip on doing the  LDWA. i will go and check out any challenge events in my area..would really love to do one of those

29/09/2011 at 09:21

Thanks for all your help with this.   I have widened my date search and discovered lots more near me (DOH).  Going to join these at the weekend and will use them a bit.  I see this as a good thing even if taking my kids for a walk with them.

Once again thanks very much.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.