wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

381 to 400 of 8,331 messages
30/09/2011 at 09:53
Morning all!
Ive been AWOL for the past few days as Im visiting home (Ireland), currently working off very moody internet connection!!
I didnt take my running gear with me which has never been a problem before - Im usually busy visiting people etc but this time Im so anxious about missing it - I just wanna get out there!!! Its frustrating but also a positive sign of how my running has progressed
I didnt think the London marathon letters would be out so soon!! My other half probably glanced at the magazine without realising what it was - will have to wait til he gets home from work so find out!
Lakelands 50 entry opens tomorrow!!! Thats my very ambitious follow up to Northants 35!!
30/09/2011 at 13:13
Loula i shall look it up and see if i fancy it
30/09/2011 at 14:39
i think you will JB....
30/09/2011 at 22:24
Which distance?
01/10/2011 at 09:08
go for the longest dyu reckon?
01/10/2011 at 09:37
Not sure I can do this.   I think I have my daughters all weekend.
01/10/2011 at 10:39
that weekend in particular you mean?...thers probably others you could do though?
01/10/2011 at 11:27

The one you mentioned Lou.  I can always arrange others but not this one.

01/10/2011 at 13:44
how about the rudolph one?
01/10/2011 at 16:51
i have noo shoozies.....and some lovely 2XU leggings....except now its too hot to wear em..
01/10/2011 at 17:09
OK maybe I can finally properly take part in this thread as I've signed up for my first ultra now!

I read an article some time ago, cant remember where, it could have been RW magazine.... anyway, it basically contemplated, and made me think too, whether ultra runners are just some sort of "losers group" for slow runners. So if you cant run very fast, opt for ultras as they are bunch of "abandoned" slower runners (i.e. the races are not supported by spectators etc)who just keep plodding on ridiculous distances to achieve something. Well it wasnt put like that in the article, but thats how I read it.

I personally was a bit shocked and upset by it, I have never even thought of that, I've always seen ultrarunning as something that only supermen and -women would do
I know that ultrarunning has become quite popular over in the states and surely isnt looked down on, not sure what the perception in the Europe is.
01/10/2011 at 18:04
Think I will do Pilgrims Challenge in Feb - anyone done it before - looks good. Was thinking of the Wye valley 50 in March but I really wanted to do the Grizzly this year and it's the same weekend.
Lots of good ideas on here!
Elli I'd agree that ultra runners are not losers, when you see what people are achieving it's amazing! I do think ultra running is growing in popularity hugely esp when you see the number of events now.
01/10/2011 at 18:18
Hi Elli,

So whats your first ultra going to be then???

I guess people of all sorts run ultras for a variety of reasons, for me i only run off road now and enjoy the challenges that it brings. I also like the people who do this kind of running, you actually get to talk with them whilst running cos no one is really bothered about times, splits etc, my last 100m i ran the last 30m with the same person. By the finish we knew each others life history!!

As for Ultra's being for slower runners im not so sure, i ran 14 road marathons that included a PB 3.15 and rarely falling outside 3.30 but other people can be the judge if thats slow or not. I became fed up with the big city circus marathons and now find greater pleasure running in the hills/mountains and trails its easier on the body also!
Sure Ultras can be seen as the "darker" side of running because unless you do it nobody really understands why! but its easy to get hooked and your fellow runners know why

And you are right about it being very popular in the States, i subscribe to Ultrarunning which is sent over to me monthly and i will be entering my first American 100m ultra this year.

Just hope you enjoy the experience of ultra running Ellie and all that comes with it.
01/10/2011 at 18:30
Hi Jeremy

Re Pilgrims Challenge, Do you know if you have to take the overnight accommodation or can you turn around and do the whole thing (66m) in one go??
Not done the PC b4 but ran the NDW100 which i would think covers the PC route.
01/10/2011 at 19:32

how far, i think you are right, ultras appear to be nicer socially. as you say, you run and because the pace is slower you can talk and get to know the people you run with. also i imagine as the events are smaller there is no great tidal wave of runners exiting carparks etc to get out first as there are at mass events like VLM...so you get to chat to friends/runners afterwards...

jeremy g, i can understand why you said the 'darker side' of running...lol..its true, non-runners struggle to understand HM distance sometimes , and certainly some of my friends think im crazy and really cant get their heads around the ultra thing...its definately an achievment i see as being driven to do it for myself , not to prove  it to anyone else,  its purely me and my head.

01/10/2011 at 19:37
How far, don't know if you could just turn around - I couldn't as I don't think my legs would let me yet! 66 miles in one go! I guess ask the organisers but as it is basically the north downs way I think there would be nothing to stop you!
01/10/2011 at 19:40
I've signed up for the hadrians wall ultra. Not sure if 69 miles is a bit ambitious for a first, but my friend did 70 miles as her first so...
01/10/2011 at 19:45

Elli of the North. Re. minimalist shoe ultra running, you'll probably get more feedback/info on the Runnersworld.com site.

I'm currently doing nearly all my running distances up to 7-8 miles in minimalist shoes (Terra Plana Neos) and intending to work up to longer distances in those - I'm increasing the distances in the Neos carefully due to extensor tendon problems earlier this year. I'm also looking to do my first ultras next year - maybe London 50K if I can get my mileage up enough for that (otherwise Cambridge Boundary run (marathon) in february and an ultra a few months later. I apparently won a pair of Saucony Cortanas (4 mm heel-to-toe drop) in the RW September competitions ("apparently" 'cos I've not heard from Saucony yet) and I'm hoping those might work for the longer runs while I work up to those longer distances in the Neos.

01/10/2011 at 19:45
...so im doing 'baby' ultra then for my first ones?????????
01/10/2011 at 20:14
Debra, same here. I'm up to 8ish miles on vibrams and I actually did 11 miler last weekend in my evo's. Didnt even suffer as much as I thought I might. If I run in them more often, I get more achy calves, where as if I only do 2 or 3 runs a week in them, I'm not so bad.

Was going to try my HM tomorrow in them but my calves ache from Thursday's vibram run still, so will prob run it in something less extreme
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.