wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

401 to 420 of 8,331 messages
01/10/2011 at 20:56
Lou not sure if going to East Yorks is a bit too far.
01/10/2011 at 21:59

With regard to the speed issue. 

Yes speed is less important in longer races.  Anybody who has done a marathon and a 10k will understand that.  Ultras are run at a slower and more relaxed pace than a marathon, but they are certainly not easier. 

I can run a city marathon in 3.45 and a 10 k in 45 minutes. 

A flat 50 mile race will take me about 9 hours, which is essentially a 4.30 marathon pace. 

A hilly 50 miler will take me more like 10.30 to 11.30.

In a 100 miler, I will limp across the finish line just inside the 32 hour time limit. 

In all of these races, my objective will have been to finish in the quickest time possible, and these will have been the results. 

Having said that, there is a whole ocean of people who could have considerable success in ultras, but don't try one because they are intimidated by them. 

01/10/2011 at 22:29
Good post Ben.   I do not have my first Marathon in a week but I am looking for another challenge already.    50k next and after that who knows.  I may decide I want to do a tri.
02/10/2011 at 08:02
Morning Ultrarunners!

Did an 18 miler yesterday morning, longest run for over a year, and felt pretty strong most of the way. You know you're an ultra-runner (in training) when.....
....You start off running with the head-torch in pitch black and finish sweating in the sunshine
(well we are having a weird October, 2 days in!)

I'm now officially on-track to start the RW 16 week Ultra training prog in 2 weeks time, to match up with the TT50. I have no idea how to get from TT50 to Oner (if that happens) but I'll figure that out later!

I need a coffee and more sleep. Kids are up so sleep ain't gonna happen, so I'll settle for the coffee....!

Happy trotting all>!

02/10/2011 at 10:02

Well I have joined the LDWA and took the family membership even though my kids are little.  Got a dull ache in my knee at the moment so not ran, luckily on my taper for my first marathon,

Almost defo going to Northnts.

02/10/2011 at 17:15
spen71 wrote (see)
Lou not sure if going to East Yorks is a bit too far.

did i mention east yorks?dont remember that.....

...yay spen!! NHU35 is on then!!

how much was it to join LDWA?

niceirondad,yes , ive noticed that as my training runs have got longer, that i start earlier so i can fit it into my day and end when the sun is getting hot-lol...i used to start my runs at 8am or 8:30am , now im up at 6am and out by 7am latest

and yes, more sleep, more food,also you know your are an ultra runner in training when you go out with more food in your pockets than oliver twist 

02/10/2011 at 17:19

You said Rudolph which is out by Driffield, East Yorks.  Unless their is another one.

Think it was £20 quid for a family membership.

Edited: 02/10/2011 at 17:19
02/10/2011 at 17:22

what has been your normal mileage Niceirondad?..im going onto my ultra plan from end of this month. i have an issue with my knee at the mo so have had to rest this week..had gait analysis on saturday and i was told i over pronate badly on my right ankle thus stressing my knee. should be ok in a few more days and i have new supportive trainers.

i want to be on 18miles by start of december..how much food/gels etc did you take on board during 18miles? obviously i dnt knw your size etc...just wondered roughly, i dnt seem to eat much during 14miles and wondered if that was normal!

02/10/2011 at 17:22
ohhhhh-lol....yes yorks is too far for me, i was just laughing at the name
02/10/2011 at 17:27

On A 18 mile run I would have 3 gels with no food at all. 

Knees, im just hoping mine is a niggle and nothing like runners knee.   My book as come so I need to look into my training plan now.

02/10/2011 at 17:46
3 gels? spen , how do you survive on that? do you have anything before you go? what water do you have?...for 14 miles i have 2 small bottles, massive bowl of porridge hour before i go..then maybe flapjack on way round after 8miles and some chewy sweets....
02/10/2011 at 17:46
whats your knee niggle?
02/10/2011 at 18:22
Dunno what it is with the knee.    Just seems to be a dull ache.  I have quite a lot of water while out, got dehydrated twice before so learned my lesson at that side of things.  Maybe I have trained my body to run on low sugar levels lol
02/10/2011 at 18:44
if i have low sugar id just pass out lol...my BP is ridiculously low and my BMI is 17...
02/10/2011 at 19:14

I doubt my BMI is not fat off yours.  I take it you are what is called Petite??  lol

I have a very energetic job and can easily forget to eat all day.

02/10/2011 at 19:42
Food....

Well I'm actually just on water at the moment. I'm keen to really slim down for this Ultra lark.
I'm 5'11" - was 82Kg this summer, up 7Kg from my "fighting" weight of a year previously for Ironman France, now down to 78Kg. I'm planning on being around 72Kg by Late Spring. Seems a lot of loss, I know, but I know I was carrying a fair amount of excess fat at 75Kg. I do not fear anorexia. Far too fond of cookies

I think if you are of low BMI then fuelling during training is important - as I'm running at a very comfortable aerobic HR, then I figure I should be able to run on fat at the moment. Having said that I did sneak a gel in my camelbak just in case yesterday!

Not sure about fuelling for an ultra yet. Tri regime would be Infinit drink/Isogels/Powerbar, but I suspect "proper" fuelling cake/cookies would suit an ultra better. All tips happily received!

Good training all...!
02/10/2011 at 20:30
This is just awwwwsome!!

http://youtu.be/NFCjaKhbHMk
02/10/2011 at 20:42
Evening peeps - sorry I've been offline for a bit.

Recovery week finished today so I'll start building up the training again tomorrow.

re: food - on a long training run of around 18-22 miles I usually drink 1 litre of water or maybe 500ml water + 500ml sport drink + I eat jellybeans throughout of maybe a couple of gels. Sometimes I eat a couple of fun size snickers bars (at 10 + 15 miles) as it's good to get used to eating on the run for longer distances.
02/10/2011 at 21:38
spen71 wrote (see)

I doubt my BMI is not fat off yours.  I take it you are what is called Petite??  lol

I have a very energetic job and can easily forget to eat all day.

yes spen , im very small, lol..and i have a job where i dont sit down at all, there are no chairs in my job!....

spoons, i think id prob be consuming more than that...

02/10/2011 at 21:44
I tend to get stomach ache if i eat and then run so going to have to find something to have while running.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.