wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

5,601 to 5,620 of 7,892 messages
12/10/2012 at 21:15
Tim Bateson wrote (see)

Great advice I found a website today about how to run ultras

just go slower and eat more..

Reminded of Jack LaLanne on diet, again very simple:

"If man made it, don't eat it and if it tastes good spit it out"

12/10/2012 at 21:37
ALISTAIR STEWART 4 wrote (see)
Tim Bateson wrote (see)

Great advice I found a website today about how to run ultras

just go slower and eat more..

Reminded of Jack LaLanne on diet, again very simple:

"If man made it, don't eat it and if it tastes good spit it out"

Now that's where I'm going wrong!! If it tastes good I eat more

12/10/2012 at 22:15

Best advice I ever came across regarding food. Eat, real food, in moderation.

12/10/2012 at 22:48
I was told that if you didn't know exactly how something was made or understand the ingredients list you shouldn't eat it
WiB
13/10/2012 at 00:00

It's just running

WiB
13/10/2012 at 09:36
by 'eck, it's hilly wrote (see)
I was told that if you didn't know exactly how something was made or understand the ingredients list you shouldn't eat it

that just leaves me with fruit and veg then

i think most important  of all with this running lark is just listen to your own body and mind , that goes for food,training ,kit,the lot.
 only you  yourself knows what suits or works best. thats it. simples.

Edited: 13/10/2012 at 09:38
13/10/2012 at 15:41
Brand new trail shoes 20 miles straight out of the box and no problems woohoo!!! The southdowns way was rather slippery and slidey this morning but great fun and lovely weather? Whats everyone else been running today?
13/10/2012 at 15:47

Just 1.5 miles: a risk-assessment run of my parkrun course in the "wrong" direction because we're thinking of doing that for the anniversary run (it's fine) and wearing a new pair of Neo trail shoes for the first time (also fine).

Last night did a nightime run through woodland with head torch, with some others from my club. It was fine and I'm looking to do at least a couple more before first Lakeland 50 recce in November.

Tomorrow I'm off down to the south coast for the Jog Shop Jog 20.

13/10/2012 at 16:07
We did woodland a head torch run Thursday evening, the bad weather coupled with the poor lighting made it really hard to spot the paths and we did get lost a few times!!! I did enjoy it though

Good luck with the jog shop 20 tomorrow, I have a half marathon, think it might be a slow one!!!
13/10/2012 at 16:10
On another note has anyone tried the 9 bars? I'd heard good things about them so tried one today but couldn't help thinking that there are so many seeds in them surely they'd just pass through your system quickly???
13/10/2012 at 16:35

Yeah I've been through a few 9 bars. Can't really say what benefit I got from them because they've always been combined with loads of other different things. I thought they tasted good though, and with about 200 cals per bar that's enough for me. I find Mars bars etc a bit sickly so find these tend to go down a bit better. Not as good as pork pies though

19m around Ilsley today, tried some new paths I've not been on before but will certaily return too. Legs finally feeling strong again so looking forward to Snowdonia in a couple of weeks.

13/10/2012 at 16:53
I have snowdonia in a couple of weeks too! Not looking forward to another road marathon but looking forward to the scenery just hope it's clear enough to see some!!!
13/10/2012 at 17:28

touie2 - See you at Snowdonia, my thoughts exactly on the road and scenery. Looking forward to it though as a 'social' run and a few beers of the evening.

WiB
13/10/2012 at 17:30

Touie - Just got back from being out on the South Downs myself. A bit wet and windy up there and muddy underfoot. Good fun though

WiB
16/10/2012 at 17:51

Decisions, decisions: just been offered a birthday gift of a vacation next April with some relatives I don't see very often (they live in Texas) - but it has to start on 21st April i.e when I'm supposed to be running VLM under a GFA place. So, do I take the holiday, and defer my VLM place to 2014?

Pro: (a) I could run SDW50 on April 13 in 2013 . (b) I could use London time in 2014 toward my pen for Comrades, which I intend to enter in 2014.

Con: (a) if I get injured training in 2014 I'd have to qualify again, not be able to defer; (b) I've been told that racing (as opposed to just running) London isn't ideal re. Comrades because your legs need a rest afterwards just when you should be doing 30-mile training runs

Decisions, decisions. It would at least ensure we actually go on vacation next year - we didn't get around to a holiday this year...

16/10/2012 at 18:13
In my biased opinion....
VLM will be there EVERY year...and won't EVER change
Holiday offers don't come along often, so I'd go for that!!
16/10/2012 at 18:15

+1

WiB
16/10/2012 at 18:20

I think that is a perfect reason not to run London. Perfect

WiB
16/10/2012 at 18:21

perfect EXCUSE not to more like

16/10/2012 at 18:31
Lou - READ IT PROPERLY!!!!!

that's what WIB said!!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.