wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

5,621 to 5,640 of 8,177 messages
16/09/2012 at 17:17

muddy: You're too late to enter Lakeland 50 for next year, although you could go on the waiting list and see how many places come free due to injury. North Downs Way 50 was good - quite scenic, trail (and lots of up & down, but not as much as Lakeland). I'm sure others will be able to give lots more suggestions.

16/09/2012 at 18:15

I've half-planned stuff but several races require entry/ballot in Nov and Dec so can't say for sure but pretty certain of XC relay champs, Nov;  Lossiemouth Turkey Trot 10 (December), Nairn Turkey 5km (26 Dec) Dee 33 (March), Highland Fling (April), West Highland Way Race (June, depending on Nov entry) and fingers and toes crossed UTMB end of Aug. If I don't get into UTMB then a group from my running club are planning to do the Jungfrau Marathon ... aside from that, wouldn't mind doing Highlander Mountain Marathon in April if I can find a suitable mug to join me, and any local shorter races I can possibly manage to fit in with logistics.

16/09/2012 at 18:19

well..ive still got Abingdon oct and Druids in November..then 2013, winter Tanner in Jan, Thames trot 50 in Feb, Northdowns50 again, possibly northants ,depends, and Ridgeway85 so far on the list

16/09/2012 at 18:21

That's the trouble isn't it Cragchick, things fill up so quickly you can't afford to hang around and wait to enter.  I'm definitely going to be sending my entry in for Snowdonia 2013, as soon as they open.

16/09/2012 at 18:45

I think that's why its really important not to get too hung-up about doing specific races as there are always alternatives that are probably just as good ...

If I don't get into WHW race then it means I can do the Saunders Mountain Marathon which I LOVE; if I don't get into Fling then I'll do Cateran Trail, if I fail on UTMB the Jungfrau Marathon is possibility or Ring of Fire (multi-day in Anglesey) or perhaps Ridgeway ... there IS loads of stuff out there really ... in fact I think sometimes you can get so seduced in by hype of other races (good hype etc) that you can forget about other stuff.

16/09/2012 at 18:58

Lou, I hadn't realised you were doing Winter Tanner.  That would fit quite nicely with my other events, so I'll join you.

16/09/2012 at 19:02

I'm entered for Thames trot too Loulabell! along with new forest marathon next week, Snowdonia next month, CTS Dorset ultra and Portsmouth Coastal marathon in December and SDW 100 in June, slightly scared about how much training I have to do!!! I'm also contemplating CTS Sussex ultra in march, NDW 50 in Aug but not sure how my body is going to hold up being a bit of a newbie

Edited: 16/09/2012 at 19:03
WiB
16/09/2012 at 19:48

Touie I am going to be at Dorset CTS, Sussex CTS, SDW 100, NDW 50!

WiB
WiB
16/09/2012 at 19:50

Oooh... I won the 10k today! I now have 3 bottles of wine none of which I will drink so will have some drunk friends soon I guess!

WiB
16/09/2012 at 19:55

Well done WIB, I just sent you a PM about the win, well done. Drinks on you.

16/09/2012 at 20:10

Firstly - well done WIB!!! Top running mate

Secondly - Rosemary, see you at the Winter Tanners then

Thirdly - funnily enough, my schedule looks remarkably similar to Lou's - although I have the addition of Grindleford Gallop in March I hope... and i'm trying to persuade her to come oop north to try it

Fourthly - anyone doing SDW100 - we'll see you there because Lou and I put our names down to marshall at it, mostly so we can throw jelly babies at WIB as he passes through...although the speed he'll be going I've got to think it unlikely we'll hit him

Fifthly - Touie - See you at Thames and NDW then

Sixthly (is that even a word?!) - WIB - i'll see you at random places all over from now on I think?!

16/09/2012 at 20:11

WIB

16/09/2012 at 20:13

I think I have a chance of seeing WIB and Alistair at Fling ... although perhaps not as girlies go off in first wave at 6am along with the OAP gents!  So actually I will see them as they come gliding past later in race ... and potentially Alistair on the WHW race but think that's about it on meeting people ... am trying to keep my races closer to home this year and cut out many of the travel issues I seem to get!

Touie - have done New Forest Marathon 2x (dim distant past now) and really enjoyed them both although was hot on both occasions and NF is hillier than I anticipated! 

Edited: 16/09/2012 at 20:13
WiB
16/09/2012 at 20:21

Cheers. It was actually a proper race as well! Was a track finish so came down to a 300m sprint with a pretty fast last 100m. Not a fast course at all, 90% trail and undulating which was much better for me then a flat race.

CC -  I am sure I will see you at the Fling at some point.

Rocker - Hopefully I can still be in some sort of reasonable state by the time I see you guys on the SDW!

WiB
16/09/2012 at 20:32

Hopefully I might get to meet some of you over the next few months then

well done on your win WiB

I'm hoping for a nice cool day on Sunday cc and am in denial about the hills

16/09/2012 at 20:37

WIB !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *FLINGS JELLY BABIES AT WIB*.......welldone !!!!!!!!!!!! mwah mwah...can i have orange juice please?

For the second time this week you know what im gonna sayyyyyy.....lol

will see you at some events im sure and yes at SDW ,will be there.

Rosemary, will be great to see you at winter tanner, and Touie at TT and  NDW50

16/09/2012 at 21:05

Well done WiB!!!!

Really excited about doing Winter Tanner with you Rocker and Lou, can't wait for entries to open

16/09/2012 at 21:35

Rosemary - October 8th! Have you seen they've updated the page now, so the link is there ready, and there's some info as well...

17/09/2012 at 06:45

October 8th is in my calendar..

17/09/2012 at 07:32

we will have to save for that entry fee

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.