wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

5,661 to 5,680 of 8,277 messages
18/09/2012 at 18:44

i wouldnt say i eat a of fat..exceot for the 8 biscuits a day!!!

18/09/2012 at 18:44

do you want the low carb diet to lose weight ? do you need to?

18/09/2012 at 22:14

WiB: another year, maybe for CtoC: I have a XC to run for the club that day before dashing up to the Lake District ready for a Lakeland 50 recce on the Sunday.

19/09/2012 at 06:51

October 8th is in my calendar..

19/09/2012 at 07:36

me too

19/09/2012 at 15:19

Sorry Lou, I don't know why that has come up again!  It IS in my calendar, but that's not so interesting everyone needs to be told twice...

19/09/2012 at 15:50
Ok, so I'm shortly going to be putting in entries for my first 2 ultras and need advice on how to go from marathon distance to ultra.
WiB
19/09/2012 at 15:55

You tell us as many times as you need to Rosemary!

by 'eck - What are the ultras? (distance, terrain etc)

WiB
19/09/2012 at 16:03
Winter tanners then ndw50. Both are reasonably local. Ndw starts 8 miles from me so I can train on it.
WiB
19/09/2012 at 16:17

Ok... well the principles of training remain. You need to train with the distance and terrain in mind but do not neglect other aspects of your running.

NDW for example. 50 miles of hilly trail. It is ideal that you are close to it so for your long runs then getting out on to the terrain is ideal. Taking a marathon training plain you can pretty much maintain it with the addition of back to back runs when you feel able to i.e 25 Sat 15 Sunday. With this extra mileage in mind keep an eye on your recovery, keep mileage up with easy recovery runs 60 - 90 mins for example but without stressing your legs much.

A lot of people have ultra runners down as super slow plodders. I am a big believer in maintaining speed work in my training for various reasons. Enforce good running form, to provide variety in my training, to improve dynamic flexibilty (a fast run will put your muscles through a wider range of movement than a slow run), to improve lung function and to improve how you use lactate. Obviously you will not need the speed of Mo Farah but try to include tempo runs, intervals etc at least once a week. Ideally midweek if your long runs are at the weekend to provide recovery time.

Babbling a bit but hope that helps!

WiB
19/09/2012 at 16:43

BY ECKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK ...YOU IZ GONNA DO IT!! -good girl!!!! WIB, by eck came to see me off at the start of NDW50 ...so we need to give her big HUGS if she does it...well, if you are there, coz you may not beeee...or she will have to hunt you down like i did...!! haha..

19/09/2012 at 16:43

by eck.....what WIB said.....just run like you do now..but a   teensybit further ..good gal

19/09/2012 at 16:57
Do I need to do the 25/15 for winter tanners?
19/09/2012 at 18:00
WiB wrote (see)

A lot of people have ultra runners down as super slow plodders. I am a big believer in maintaining speed work in my training for various reasons. Enforce good running form, to provide variety in my training, to improve dynamic flexibilty (a fast run will put your muscles through a wider range of movement than a slow run), to improve lung function and to improve how you use lactate. Obviously you will not need the speed of Mo Farah but try to include tempo runs, intervals etc at least once a week. Ideally midweek if your long runs are at the weekend to provide recovery time.

Babbling a bit but hope that helps!

Good point about wider range of movement! If your training includes faster sessions etc involving a wider range of movement then during an ultra when you start getting tired and tightening up you can still continue fairly comfortably.
Did the first of the club winter 3k series last night - ouch! but 11:11 which is pretty good for me! Off to the Toad Fri-Sun - weather looks going for plodding along Thames path! (haven't posted in a while but have been lurking )

19/09/2012 at 18:13

Hello Jeremy how are you? hope you have a nice weekend on the Thames.

19/09/2012 at 18:46

Evening all

By'Eck Go girl

Hello Jeremy - hope you have a great time at the Toad - sounds like a fun event

WiB - interesting to read that - i've read conflicting advice, or arguments from both sides - I guess it's just what tends to suit each individual - I guess a variety of terrain helps a great deal as well - where I live is so flat I have to travel to do hill work, but I find that so much easier than doing speed work on flat tarmac - that's what causes me injuries. To be fair I do tempo runs though - just not intervals...

19/09/2012 at 18:51

I'm definitely enjoy hillwork more than speedwork for sure. I try and do one hill session each week - off-road and then make one of my 5-6 mile runs in the week a tempo run - regardless of whether it's on trail or road. I definitely notice the difference when I do that; however if I'm off with injury and illness then it's just back to building up the longer mileage.

Hoping to try a 15-miler tomorrow, fingers crossed, will be the furthest since I've run since the SDW race ...

19/09/2012 at 18:53
Not too bad loulabell, everyone has been on fine form on here. I have struggled a bit with motivation since Comrades but I have decided that it is I am a bit bored with running the same routes on my own. So looking forward to Toad even if I am not really as ready as I wanted, but it's all in the mind right!
19/09/2012 at 19:01

jeremy, i too had a spell after january where id got bored of the same routes on my own after training over winter for Gloucester. i dont mind running alone too for headspace and peace but ive found for the long trail runs i really like meeting the others and having a nice day out for it. so yes just treat the Toad as a day out training ,thats what TT will be for me really, seeing a new route and new and familiar faces

cracg....guess what !! on my last 2 runs around home ive found my self LONGING for hills!! im  100% converted to trail!! my shins hate tarmac i  think:/

19/09/2012 at 20:31

My knees hate tarmac for sure - clearly getting old!! I do like a bit of road occasionally to remind myself I can run fast-ish!!

I do most of my running alone, not by choice, just can't get to club sessions and no-one else wants to come on my adventures.  I had a great running buddy when I lived down South who was always happy to be off with headtorch, in the snow and ice and especially off-road. Hey ho! But agree it definitely gets a bit boring.  I rarely run with music etc but I do find myself needing it on those long runs sometimes.

X-thread posting ... soreness on outside of knee often associated with tight ITB so more about stretching I'd think that taping?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.