wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

5,821 to 5,840 of 8,248 messages
29/09/2012 at 15:13
JeremyG wrote (see)
By eck it is tricky but I think us chaps are easily persuaded. Catch us just before we nod off after some "physical persuasion"

its a guranteed 'work everytime' By eck...especially if you want more shoes...

29/09/2012 at 15:14

i cant believe i popped out to go shopping and i get back and see the thread has dropped to a level of chat about gifts/runs/weekend passes granted in return for sexual favours and gratification!! honestly i cant leave you lot alone for 5 minutes!!

29/09/2012 at 15:26

Have I picked a good time to creep in shyly and wave nervously........going to hide by the pot plant now. 

29/09/2012 at 15:32

hi Daisydoodoo...have you picked an ultra for after VLM or before

29/09/2012 at 15:56

I've done a couple of trail marathons in the last 5 weeks. Loved them!! Didn't really train for them, trained properly for a marathon in April and have just kept up some long runs every few weeks.

Like that sort of low key, just out of a day trip feel about it. Wondering if I could move it on to an ultra...thinking 30 might be a good starting place. 

Need to decide whether I want a club place for London and knuckle down and do some races to qualify in the next few weeks or find a 30 miler.  

Want to train for an April road marathon just to race one, then carry on with the trail ones the rest of the summer. 

London is just easy to sort out, most people I run with are doing it, so good to train with the others.

Do fancy the Pilgrims challenge in Feb. But wondering if that is too much and should take a smaller step into the world of ultra's?

29/09/2012 at 16:01

30/35 good place to start yes.

29/09/2012 at 16:36
Drank too much last night and entered an Ultra -45 miles in April -hilly one too. Oops! How the hell do I find training plans for this ???? HELP!!!!! Someone?anyone?
29/09/2012 at 16:49
Pilgrims is good Daisy, did it this year. It is open to walkers as well so time and pace is not an issue.
29/09/2012 at 17:07

I'm guessing you can do just the one day? Think that might be a good start. The two might be pushing it. Didn't you do it in the snow? 

29/09/2012 at 17:32

Relentless forward progress Karen. its a good book, has training plans suitable.

and run some hills maybe if its hilly?

29/09/2012 at 18:16
daisydoodoo wrote (see)

I'm guessing you can do just the one day? Think that might be a good start. The two might be pushing it. Didn't you do it in the snow? 

Yes you can do one day. Second day this year was in the snow which made it a bit tougher. Some links...
http://www.ultrarunning.com/ultra/8/8_1/relentless-forward-motion.shtml
http://www.ultramarathonrunning.com/training/index.html

29/09/2012 at 18:19
Yes, I had thought about the hills and starting some serious hill training. Thanks for the recommendation of a good book on the subject.
WiB
29/09/2012 at 20:28

Run far... run trails... love hills. Simple.

Now, tonights dilemma I need to fit my 2nd run in after todays short race do I stick to road for a tempo or go up onto the downs for a head torch and trail session?!

WiB
29/09/2012 at 20:41

Apparently good food goes down well in my house Jeremy (according to mr by 'eck) for things like new running shoes but not bigger favours.  Tonight he nearly had a very fresh pheasant or two for supper.

Daisydoodoo, I am new to this running lark but I like the idea of exploring off road.  If you want a road marathon I did Milton Keynes last year.  The weather was absolutely shocking but it was on footpaths/bike routes etc. And I never knew there was such variety.  The support from locals and family/friends was fab.  Loads of offers of jelly babies, water and cheering!

29/09/2012 at 20:48

Thank you JeremyG, wow! just reading the 50k schedule. I best get started if I want to do one in Feb. 

can I just ask if I did one in Feb (sorry if this is a dumb question), how would that effect an April road marthon that you want to race? 

29/09/2012 at 20:56
WIB it has to be downs and head torch surely???
29/09/2012 at 20:56

I'm having a think about Mk, is it flat? Just if I'm going to do one properly, thought I should make it flat, so I just know what I can do with a bit of effort.

Was also thinking about Taunton....stay with family, kill 2 birds as it where. But there is one hill, if I remember, and it's 2 laps. I don't think Mk is, is that right?

Then I thought, maybe I could do both...beginning of April, and May?  

worried that this is getting slightly addictive....and expensive. 

29/09/2012 at 20:57
WiB wrote (see)

Now, tonights dilemma I need to fit my 2nd run in after todays short race do I stick to road for a tempo or go up onto the downs for a head torch and trail session?!

You really need to ask?? Blatantly it's head torch and trail!!!!

How'd the XC go?

29/09/2012 at 21:00
WiB wrote (see)

I'd like to second the remarks of the above speaker - that's my way of looking at life - I don't "train" - I just run.... sometimes fast, sometimes slow, sometimes short, sometimes long....

Mind you, I am crap so i'm probably not the best person to listen to

29/09/2012 at 21:08
Daisy if you trained and did one in feb you be in great shape to race a marathon in April.
Running trails at night with a head torch is such good fun!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.