wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

5,881 to 5,900 of 8,248 messages
01/10/2012 at 16:23

yikes Tim and Daytrekker-you are hardnuts indeed! sounded like some rough hours at times but glad you enjoyed it and learnt a lot by the sounds of it. often our mistakes are the making of us and id say we are pretty fast learners on here so no doubt both of you will do even better next time!

Rosemary, i know what you mean by stepping down training feels like you are not improving, my head works a bit like that as well:/....rest though is important too and sounds like your body is hinting that you need a wee break perhaps? youve done quite a lot , also it sounds as if the journey wasnt a very good precursor to the main event .....tha catfood/soup made me laugh though!!

01/10/2012 at 16:50

Rosemary - I did Loch Ness as my first marathon in 2010, the bus ride to the start is quite something, lots of over hydrated runners locked on a coach for over an hour!

Whilst I had nothing to compare it to back then, looking back now I think it is quite deceptive in spite of being downhill overall the undulations seem to accumulate.

I remember it being a pretty good atmosphere in Invernes but as you say pretty sparse out on the course.

01/10/2012 at 17:36

I'm guessing it was a tin of Baxters soup? local cuisine ... of sorts!!!!  As I said, hadn't realised you were doing the Loch Ness one, yes the start logistics are grim to say the least which is a shame as it IS a beautiful course (haven't run it but know enough).  Definitely take a wee recovery for a week or so, have been where you are and the temptation is to keep on training to see if you can get 'fitter' when actually your body needs some R&R, which in turn will allow you to recover physically and mentally. Well done for hanging in there though. And yes Alistair, you are correct, it IS undulating and is considered a hilly marathon of sorts - obviously not hilly by hardcore ultra standards

01/10/2012 at 17:38

i think Rosemary will come back fighting once she gets her hands on the pink Barbie sandwich bag Cragc....thats what was up this weekend

Edited: 01/10/2012 at 17:38
01/10/2012 at 17:41
JeremyG wrote (see)
Well done Tim and daytrekker - some great running going on. I did contemplate the Lady Bower50 - sounds good so it's on the list for next year - can't beat beer and fish and chips at the finish!

youve  already sold the event to me Jeremy  on the strength of the fish and chips alone- !! maybe i will pass on the beer though

01/10/2012 at 20:53

Sorry I'm late to the party everyone...

Alistair - bad luck mate, but very wisely done. DNF is less of an issue than big injury.... and well done on making a good day out from the disappointment!

Daytrekker - well done sir! Good running, I knew you'd do well at it. Sounds a fun event, although if you think there's too much tarmac i'm unlikely to be running it anytime soon!

Tim - Great report - and very honest. Every event is a learning experience (not that i'll ever be learning what it's like to be near the front!!). Well done you on persevering, and still finishing well.

Rosemary - Take a week off... Seriously, you'll probably find you come back so much fitter and fresher! Always remember, fitness is gained when your body has time to adapt ready for the next onslaught - give your body a bit of time to do that adaptation, and to recuperate.

Hello everyone else

01/10/2012 at 21:10
Just watching last might's Andrew marr history programme. Apparently the ultimate test of courage and stamina is the marathon. Erm, what if you do more than 26 miles? Is anything after that easy?
01/10/2012 at 21:34

oh that IS funny, although all about perception I guess, hubby was chuckling at me yesterday as I described my 10-miler I did in the morning as a short long run - if that makes any sense!! In his opinion a 10 mile long run is a bl**dy long way ... and this is the man doing the OMM (mountain marathon) in three weeks time on the back of some random road bike sessions and some rowing in the gym!

01/10/2012 at 22:38
Any running?
02/10/2012 at 09:20

Nope! Has been known to occasionally break into a jog on these events - to be fair, if you are a good mountain yomper and a very good navigator (which he is) then you can do OK, but I've abandoned doing them with him as I get so frustrated when he runs out of steam!!

WiB
02/10/2012 at 09:32

CC - Some people's ability to gain so much time through navigation is impressive. Good on him if he can use it to his advantage. I would love to do a Mountain Marathon but will sharpen up my navigation first 

WiB
WiB
02/10/2012 at 10:54

SDW100 entries open... I have seen the Tiago is in and lining up to smash his first 100!

Edited: 02/10/2012 at 10:55
WiB
02/10/2012 at 11:51

Hey WiB, I'm in, but I ain't number 1!

WiB
02/10/2012 at 12:20

Haha... Benefits of volunteering and getting early entry

Great that you are running it though, plenty of time to prepare and a fantastic race. Plenty of support. Get in touch if you are out on the SDW for a recce in the lead up, would be good to go for a run.

WiB
02/10/2012 at 13:37

I will do that, buddy, thanks.

02/10/2012 at 17:49

well done on gettting in Tiago  i think i may do the SDW50 in April as well as the NDW50 in May

02/10/2012 at 18:30

How come NDW50 is May?

02/10/2012 at 18:31

coz it is Spen..and the 100 is August

02/10/2012 at 18:32

2 seperate events allows a few more runners for each one and i guess many may want to use the NDW50 as training for the NDW100?

03/10/2012 at 07:41

anyone got events this weekend???

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.