wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

5,901 to 5,920 of 7,960 messages
03/11/2012 at 10:25

i need armbands i think to get me through 4.8miles......tri/IM not for me ta

03/11/2012 at 17:32

3rd ultra nothched up today- Glenogle 33, which is slightly shorter than 33 miles, but over 50km. 6:07, and a good day! Felt good most of the way, got a bit weary after about 30 miles, but all good. Managed not to faff about at checkpoints as much as usual. I think I'm slowly learning how to do these races.

ONwards and upwards- probablt aiming for glasgow edin double marathon next spring.

04/11/2012 at 00:30

My garmin is superdooper and fandabidozy too If it could make the tea it would be the ultimate runners accessory, Lou.

BTW I saw the pic on facebook - the commentors havent seen the photo when taken from behind 

04/11/2012 at 08:10
slaneuk wrote (see)

BTW I saw the pic on facebook - the commentors havent seen the photo when taken from behind 

eh? whassis slaneuk? which pic on what?

07/11/2012 at 13:56

Training all messed up this week!

Missis NID is away, work++++ and two late work meetings, a disappointment after a good 50 mile week last week.... I think tonight will be a combination of a some bike turbo training and that 1980s step video again (!). How does everyone else handle crappy busy weeks? I'm mentally treating it as a lull after a training spike - which in theory should mean next week I bounce back stronger than ever!

07/11/2012 at 14:00

NID: absolutely - it's your drop-down week!

11/11/2012 at 07:29

had a great time at Druids, lotsa mud, lotsa hilly bits-would highly recommend XNRG events. well organised and lovely people.

11/11/2012 at 18:42

ahh but its the downs of life that makes us appreciate things more when they go right. I'm just going backwards this year in my training speedwise but there are some silver linings

11/11/2012 at 19:50

aw cragc-off to Anglesey with EL for us i reckon!!!

11/11/2012 at 20:17
2012 is a year I'm longIng to be over. Ive had rubbish runs; encountered spiteful and prissy people; and had very little to cheer about.

2013 is going to be better and I'm putting together a program to make sure I enjoy it a lot better. I don't know about the whole glass being half empty / full biz (apologies to Lou there) but I'm going to keep filling it :??
WiB
12/11/2012 at 09:26

Have you started your 2013 plans?

I enjoy planning out my races... although I normally get a bit carried away!

WiB
12/11/2012 at 09:40
Started them tho some are up in air till next year for obvious reasons. All will be clear in about two weeks clear I hope. I agree with you the planning is fun, the actual running is a bit of a bind
12/11/2012 at 10:27
I'm thinking a summer break in the Swiss apps might be nice, has anyone done a race there, I've been looking at the Swiss alpine and mountain man events but not sure which would be better???
12/11/2012 at 10:47
Touie, alpine or man mountain..... which is better? Theres only one way to find out.........FIGHT!!!!!
12/11/2012 at 13:22

Well, now I know what the Mableside to Coniston stretch is like in the dark... Wonder if I can speed up enough to do it in daylight! (I wish) Only went wrong once, and managed to sort it out fairly quickly, but it knocked my confidence in following the directions for a while. Navigation training yesterday was useful; thinking about getting to one of their full weekend courses - if I can work out when to fit it in!

Borrowed a pair of Trailroc 235s from Lakes Runner for the recce and they were great - just a bit more underfoot protection than the VB Neo trail, and very good at sticking to the rocks. I was very good and washed them under the outside tap at the guest house by headtorch light before returning them the next day. They're going to have to get a pair in to sell to me (the problem of having small feet), so I've not got my own pair yet. Really glad I had the chance to "compare and contrast" between the Neo trail, Trailroc 235 and 245, so I know I want the 235.

12/11/2012 at 14:10

I'm doing my third marathon in December - I'm a back of the field 5hr plodder. I'd like to do an ultra in, or before, my 5oth birthday in a couple of years time. Any recommendations? And any comments on what marathon time I need to be running at in order to actually contemplate an ultra? thanks in advance!

12/11/2012 at 16:03

Hi Richard.Do you prefer road or trail; flat, undulating or hilly? How long an ultra do you want to do (e.g. 30 mile, 50K, 35 mile, 50 mile)? And where are you based? A runner in my club of a similar speed to you has decided to do the London Ultra 50K in February, because it hasn't got a time cut-off,so it doesn't matter if it takes you 6-7 hours or even longer. I'm sure some of the other people on here will be able to recommend other events.  

12/11/2012 at 17:42

ive had a pretty good 2012 regards running/ultra !! (ducks at risk of having something lobbed at me)...

12/11/2012 at 18:28

LB: me too! (quack).

14/11/2012 at 07:28

everyone keeping mileage up now the dark nights have hit?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.