wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

5,941 to 5,960 of 8,277 messages
06/10/2012 at 07:38

Hi Cragchick yes we did run  along part of the same coastal path that we ran on the Frostbite 50. Thankfully no hideous mud section on this run though. 

06/10/2012 at 08:08

Good luck everyone running this weekend.  No running for me, I am going to go and marshall at a small friendly marathon I was supposed to be doing and make a nuisance of myself with pom-pons and various other motivational devices, like a plastic scythe. I will hand out water too

07/10/2012 at 12:21

lovely run on NDW50 course yesterday...its worse on the return journey back to the car though rather than running point to point

07/10/2012 at 16:55

Having failed to get organised to enter the Vanguard Way, I got all fed-up: so I ran it anyway! Well, part of it: I ran about 15.5 miles out and then back. Total something over 30.65 miles (got lost more on the way out than on the way back, and accidentally had my Garmin stopped for a bit). Lovely weather but conditions underfoot... Well, after two heavy nights of rain, parts of the path had turned into streams, several inches deep!

Ran 15.5 miles on weary legs withsome frinds from the club this morning. So, that's 45+ for the weekend and I'm feeling much happier!

Being encouraged to do the Jog Shop 20 next Sunday as a final long training run before Beachy Head.

Rosemary: good decision; it did sound like you needed some rest.

loulabell: sounds good. I was along the NDW for a short while yesterday where the Vanguard Way joins it for a while (the section before the Titsey plantation).

07/10/2012 at 17:23

A very short 3-miler for me this morning - orienteering - took me a good 1.5 hours though!!!! Did help out a few lost people and get a bit off-route myself at times. Am so used to mapreading on 1:25,000/ 1:50,000 OS or 1:40,000 Harveys that 1:10 maps just completely blow my mind!!! So speedy at this I am not ... but I WILL get better.  Absolutely glorious autumn day for it though and the kids did courses too so all very happy. 

That sounds a fab weekends training Debra. LLB - which bit of the NDW were you out on?  And definitely agree with others Rosemary that NOT racing was a good call. Your legs will thank you!!

07/10/2012 at 17:27
Lou and I did St. Martha's Church to the stepping stones at Box Hill..that were completely submerged!! We went off route on the way, but way back was fine, although definitely harder! Damn good run though
07/10/2012 at 19:08

Love St Marthas Hill (one of my favourite spots) ... used to do night hikes round there as a teenage venture scout. Spent many Sunday afternoons up there pondering life while admiring the view! It's a bu**er to run up isn't it with all that sand?

07/10/2012 at 20:51

was still cleaning the mud and sand off my trainers today cragc!! they WERE nice and new and clean ....well and truly christened now !! i like that sand part though, one of my fave bits

07/10/2012 at 21:05

I remember that section; can imagine that the sand section uphill is challenging! As far as the stepping stones go, they were submerged when I recced the route and I had to take the bridge option - the only time I saw them was on race day.

07/10/2012 at 21:06

The whole run was amazing - I only saw the aid stations when I crewed for Lou, but actually being on the trail.... put it this way, I know why she fell in love with it. It's a beautiful area and a lovely trail, can't wait to go back there again...

08/10/2012 at 07:22
Debra Bourne wrote (see)

I remember that section; can imagine that the sand section uphill is challenging! As far as the stepping stones go, they were submerged when I recced the route and I had to take the bridge option - the only time I saw them was on race day.

i was quite disappointed Debs on saturday when we couldnt cross then  there was a  man on a canoe but i dont think he fancied 2 stowaways perched on either end

i think its the rope option next time;)

did you enjoy your section along the plantation Debs? was quite a different feel underfoot this weekend from NDW weekend, but that was nice it made it interesting again running on wet/muddy surface instead of the hardbaked conditions we had that day  

perhaps we will all have to arrange a meet up and run on part of NDW

Edited: 08/10/2012 at 07:24
08/10/2012 at 08:44

well I am bound to be down visiting family at some point next year, so count me in for then!!!

08/10/2012 at 09:31

loulabell: it was great to go down the steps from the field into the plantation and turn DOWNHILL rather than UPHILL - I'm sure you remember that uphill slog to the Botley Hill aid station! Of course, I had a fair uphill section on the way back and was very pleased to reach the steps and be back on a level for a bit before the steep climb where the two routes diverge again at the bench (NDW continues along the hill). I meant to stop and take a photo of the Greenwich Meridian plaque on the way back, but failed to see it (having noticed it easily on the way out). Oh well, I'll just have to run it again sometime!

I met another runner at the steps. He was wondering which way to go (obviously failing to see the large signposts at the bottom of the steps) so I asked him which route he was following "North Downs Way" he said. "Uphill," said I. "Up for North Downs Way, down for Vanguard Way." He still looked hesitant. "Trust me on this" I said (thinking: I've run this section of NDW THREE TIMES, I do know the way, really)... and he set off again.

As I've written previously, I did my NDW recces in wet & muddy conditions, so for me it was a nice change when the ground was hard and dry for the race. Interesting how slippery the packed chalk was on that field section, from the rain the previous night.

I must work out how far it is from Lloyd Park (Croydon) along the Vanguard Way and then up to Knockholt Pound via NDW. That could make a nice run. Wonder if there's any off-road route back to Lloyd Park. Hmm...

08/10/2012 at 09:56

Debs - we noticed just one field where the chalk path was REALLY slippy - it was almost too dodgy to run!

08/10/2012 at 10:09

So jealous of all of you with your lovely running this weekend.  CragC a 1:10 map - wow - must be like looking at a photo of the route in front of you!

Saturday's event was great fun though; I got given the RD's camera and was designated as the race photographer.  As the course is loops around a lake, I managed to get all the runners at quite a few different points. 

Winter Tanners registration is now open - so far, entries for the 30 are me, Lou, Simon and some other chap.

Anyone thinking about Giants Head next June?  A marathon rather than an Ultra, but with the twist of being Fetch vs RW.  Course looks good too.

WiB
08/10/2012 at 10:24

a 1:10 map? It must be very easy to just run off of it! Good effort CC.

Just looked at the Winter Tanners Rosemary, looks fun but falls at the wrong time as I will be getting very close to Rocky Raccoon then and will be doing Country2Capital earlier in the month as a build up race for it. Looking good for a podium finish for everyone at the moment though

I will go and check out the Giant's Head marathon, not sure who I would run for though see how it fits in with another little race I have planned on the SDW in June!

WiB
08/10/2012 at 10:50
And me rosemary...
08/10/2012 at 11:59

I'm in!  I have noticed that so far there are more Vets than Seniors, by a long way...

I came to running too late - I never got to enter anything as a Senior .

I note that my preparation might include a Lakeland recce run the previous Sunday (over part of the Lakeland 100 course)...

08/10/2012 at 12:20

Well, with the exception of WiB, looks as though there'll be a good contingent of us at WT! Let's hope we don't get snowed off.  WiB, we will of course be eating cakes in your honour.

Giants Head is two weeks after SDW, so might be a bit close for comfort. I'm in two minds myself, as I have the Enigma Summer Running festival the week after and I reckon I will need fresh legs for that.  I do like the medal though.  I know a couple of people running, not sure whether they are on the RW or Fetch teams. 

WiB
08/10/2012 at 13:22

That recce is a good bit of the course Debra. Softer underfoot than the rest and plenty of climbing and descending, you are guaranteed to get wet though. I was aiming to get over that section before dark this year and managed it with a 5 hour effort. I would say it is possibly the toughest section of the course but not by much!

I am partial to a bit of ginger cake if any is available and someone wants to have some on my behalf that would be great I will still be in post SDW100 mode so possibly eating a fair bit of cake myself too

WiB
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.