wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

5,981 to 6,000 of 8,331 messages
09/10/2012 at 07:02

actually it was the Lush cosmetics i wanted...Wib, frosted pink isnt your colour i dont think, so if you run  this event could you save me your pot of Bubblegum  Pink lipbalm you get in your goodbag-ta

...Rosemary PLEASE tell me im not the only one who would run 26miles just to get a yummy free lipbalm ...............

Edited: 09/10/2012 at 07:02
09/10/2012 at 07:04

*pops Giants head marathon on 2014  list*....

09/10/2012 at 09:16

Well I ran BATB just for the Helly Hansen base layer T-Shirt and they gave that out BEFORE the race, so running for a free lipbalm seems perfectly reasonable to me.

09/10/2012 at 10:06
Rosemary Close 4 wrote (see)

Well I ran BATB just for the Helly Hansen base layer T-Shirt and they gave that out BEFORE the race, so running for a free lipbalm seems perfectly reasonable to me.

I'm beginning to get the impression you're as barmy as Lou....

09/10/2012 at 16:33

Rosemary...funny that coz at Northants ultra they did the same . the  tech tops were really nice design ....they handed those out at registration with i thought was a bit premature given that the day was set to be 90 degrees or so, i could have just tootled off home with my top there and then !!

09/10/2012 at 16:34

wishing id popped along to BATB now, could have grabbed my HH top and scarpered

09/10/2012 at 16:35
ultrarocker wrote (see)
Rosemary Close 4 wrote (see)

I'm beginning to get the impression you're as barmy as Lou....

Rocker, its a certain requirement yknow....

09/10/2012 at 17:34

09/10/2012 at 17:40

It's getting rather common now for friends and work colleagues to ask me what running I've been doing and respond to my answer (e.g. "I ran 30 miles on Saturday and 15 or so on Sunday") by telling me that I'm quite mad. I usually reply: "yes, but it's a GOOD mad!"

09/10/2012 at 18:16
Debra Bourne wrote (see)

It's getting rather common now for friends and work colleagues to ask me what running I've been doing and respond to my answer (e.g. "I ran 30 miles on Saturday and 15 or so on Sunday") by telling me that I'm quite mad. I usually reply: "yes, but it's a GOOD mad!"

yes Debra, same here at work. in fact i think they would now be surprised if i said i hadnt run some  long distance....although they  usually glaze over quickly after telling them ...

09/10/2012 at 20:09

I have the same thing - people have stopped asking now....

So I tell them anyway

They still think i'm barmy! Hey, rather be barmy than overweight, underfit and a layabout!

11/10/2012 at 07:28

SDW50?  Ooooo!  That sounds fun.  And I know that bit of the SDW, so limited getting lost opportunities.

(Plus, unlike Vanguard, it's unlikely anyone will put a river in the middle of the race.)

I'd need to speed up to miss the cutoffs.  That should be doable.

Does anyone know how fast this one is likely to sell out?

WiB
11/10/2012 at 07:35
I would imagine somewhere between quite fast and very fast.
WiB
11/10/2012 at 07:36

pretty fast Peronel as with most of Centurions events. i wouldnt deliberate for too ling out it that way. how much do you need to speed up for cut offs?

11/10/2012 at 07:39

Loulabell, I did day one of Vanguard at exactly the cut off speed.  So not that much?  And I do know the route - you can quite literally see the house I grew up in from it.

By pretty fast does that mean sign up on the day it opens?  Hmmm, that gives me limited time to lose my nerve, at least.

11/10/2012 at 07:41

it means hover over the submit button 2 hours before entries are due to open Peronel

11/10/2012 at 07:49

I'm trying to figure out a way to ask my boss to let me cancel patients so I can spend the morning holding the mouse and watching the clock! 

11/10/2012 at 07:53

or get someone else to enter for you

11/10/2012 at 09:51

Dear friends and family (who already think I'm loopy),

You know this odd  hobby I have?  The one that means I limp into work on a monday morning?  The one that leaves the house covered with stinky lycra, and the bath full of - in my  mother's word's - "Half of Ashdown Forest." 

Well, there's this race I'd like to do.  But the boss won't let me skip work to register.  So....

(Seriously, is it likely to sell out that fast??  If so, it's probably a non-starter.)

And, yes, it's amazing how quickly some people's eyes glaze over if you talk about what you did on the weekend.  I think if you're not bats in this particular way then anything over ten miles just blurs into "a long way".

WiB
11/10/2012 at 10:05

No it wont sell out that fast in my opinion. The first places will go very quickly then it will pause for a while as a few more come in, then the last places will go quickly.

Worth keeping an eye on it though if you really dont want to miss out.

WiB
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.