wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

6,001 to 6,020 of 7,889 messages
11/10/2012 at 09:51

Dear friends and family (who already think I'm loopy),

You know this odd  hobby I have?  The one that means I limp into work on a monday morning?  The one that leaves the house covered with stinky lycra, and the bath full of - in my  mother's word's - "Half of Ashdown Forest." 

Well, there's this race I'd like to do.  But the boss won't let me skip work to register.  So....

(Seriously, is it likely to sell out that fast??  If so, it's probably a non-starter.)

And, yes, it's amazing how quickly some people's eyes glaze over if you talk about what you did on the weekend.  I think if you're not bats in this particular way then anything over ten miles just blurs into "a long way".

WiB
11/10/2012 at 10:05

No it wont sell out that fast in my opinion. The first places will go very quickly then it will pause for a while as a few more come in, then the last places will go quickly.

Worth keeping an eye on it though if you really dont want to miss out.

WiB
11/10/2012 at 11:55

Peronel: See, I knew you didn't mean it when you said "never again" on the VW thread! How far along was the river? I didn't reach that, although I ran up the stream which had previously been a path, somewhere in the first half of day one (interestingly, by the time I ran back down it again on my way back to Lloyd Park later that afternoon, it was pretty much a path again already).

12/10/2012 at 11:38

Great advice I found a website today about how to run ultras

just go slower and eat more..

12/10/2012 at 14:27
Tim Bateson wrote (see)

See, and you were asking about a coach! Saved yourself a fortune now!

12/10/2012 at 14:46
Tim Bateson wrote (see)

oh Tim...this is where we have all been going SO wrong;)...and it was so simple

12/10/2012 at 17:38

You mean I don't need to do any of these long runs or B2Bs??? Of course, I -enjoy- the long runs.

12/10/2012 at 17:43

Debs! we have got this wrong all along ! forget all the kit we just need to have a mobile picnic!!

( i admit i do love the long runs-last week on NDW was really nice)

12/10/2012 at 18:46

Does this mean if we sit around, eat cake, and occassionally bimble about slowly we'll get really good at the running lark?  I'm liking this.

I bought new shoes today.  I'm doomed.  I'm going to have to keep running.

Edited: 12/10/2012 at 18:49
12/10/2012 at 19:36

we like new kit on here Peronel, what did ya buy?

12/10/2012 at 19:46

Inov-8 roclites.  Had terrocs before but they were on their last legs, and the vanguard pretty much destroyed them.  They feel good.

WiB - thank you, that's just what I wanted to hear.  I'll mark the date in the diary, so I know when not to go near the internet with the credit card, so I don't get sucked in. (I think I should be able to speed up enough.  Maybe.)

12/10/2012 at 19:51

how about doing NDW50 instead? thats May

12/10/2012 at 19:55

SDW50 means I can sleep at my parents, who are 20 mins drive from both start and finish, and I'm unlikely to get lost because I grew up playing on the downs so know the Housedean Farm to Alfriston bit like the back of my hand.

Free accommodation, taxi service, food and - if I'm really lucky - they'll wash the stinky lycra for me. It's a win.

12/10/2012 at 21:15
Tim Bateson wrote (see)

Reminded of Jack LaLanne on diet, again very simple:

"If man made it, don't eat it and if it tastes good spit it out"

12/10/2012 at 21:37
ALISTAIR STEWART 4 wrote (see)
Tim Bateson wrote (see)

Reminded of Jack LaLanne on diet, again very simple:

"If man made it, don't eat it and if it tastes good spit it out"

Now that's where I'm going wrong!! If it tastes good I eat more

12/10/2012 at 22:15

Best advice I ever came across regarding food. Eat, real food, in moderation.

12/10/2012 at 22:48
I was told that if you didn't know exactly how something was made or understand the ingredients list you shouldn't eat it
WiB
13/10/2012 at 00:00

It's just running

WiB
13/10/2012 at 09:36
by 'eck, it's hilly wrote (see)
I was told that if you didn't know exactly how something was made or understand the ingredients list you shouldn't eat it

that just leaves me with fruit and veg then

i think most important  of all with this running lark is just listen to your own body and mind , that goes for food,training ,kit,the lot.
 only you  yourself knows what suits or works best. thats it. simples.

Edited: 13/10/2012 at 09:38
13/10/2012 at 15:41
Brand new trail shoes 20 miles straight out of the box and no problems woohoo!!! The southdowns way was rather slippery and slidey this morning but great fun and lovely weather? Whats everyone else been running today?
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.