wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

6,021 to 6,040 of 8,329 messages
13/10/2012 at 16:10
On another note has anyone tried the 9 bars? I'd heard good things about them so tried one today but couldn't help thinking that there are so many seeds in them surely they'd just pass through your system quickly???
13/10/2012 at 16:35

Yeah I've been through a few 9 bars. Can't really say what benefit I got from them because they've always been combined with loads of other different things. I thought they tasted good though, and with about 200 cals per bar that's enough for me. I find Mars bars etc a bit sickly so find these tend to go down a bit better. Not as good as pork pies though

19m around Ilsley today, tried some new paths I've not been on before but will certaily return too. Legs finally feeling strong again so looking forward to Snowdonia in a couple of weeks.

13/10/2012 at 16:53
I have snowdonia in a couple of weeks too! Not looking forward to another road marathon but looking forward to the scenery just hope it's clear enough to see some!!!
13/10/2012 at 17:28

touie2 - See you at Snowdonia, my thoughts exactly on the road and scenery. Looking forward to it though as a 'social' run and a few beers of the evening.

WiB
13/10/2012 at 17:30

Touie - Just got back from being out on the South Downs myself. A bit wet and windy up there and muddy underfoot. Good fun though

WiB
16/10/2012 at 17:51

Decisions, decisions: just been offered a birthday gift of a vacation next April with some relatives I don't see very often (they live in Texas) - but it has to start on 21st April i.e when I'm supposed to be running VLM under a GFA place. So, do I take the holiday, and defer my VLM place to 2014?

Pro: (a) I could run SDW50 on April 13 in 2013 . (b) I could use London time in 2014 toward my pen for Comrades, which I intend to enter in 2014.

Con: (a) if I get injured training in 2014 I'd have to qualify again, not be able to defer; (b) I've been told that racing (as opposed to just running) London isn't ideal re. Comrades because your legs need a rest afterwards just when you should be doing 30-mile training runs

Decisions, decisions. It would at least ensure we actually go on vacation next year - we didn't get around to a holiday this year...

16/10/2012 at 18:13
In my biased opinion....
VLM will be there EVERY year...and won't EVER change
Holiday offers don't come along often, so I'd go for that!!
16/10/2012 at 18:15

+1

WiB
16/10/2012 at 18:20

I think that is a perfect reason not to run London. Perfect

WiB
16/10/2012 at 18:21

perfect EXCUSE not to more like

16/10/2012 at 18:31
Lou - READ IT PROPERLY!!!!!

that's what WIB said!!
16/10/2012 at 18:37

I KNOW !! I READ THE WORDS!! reason/excuse  means the same thing with regards to the event in question but depending on your view of VLM depends on which word you will use.....

16/10/2012 at 18:43
Oh okay thought I was going to have to get DV to message you lol
In which case I do humbly apologise for my misunderstanding of your clever play on words, and hope you can forgive me for my excessive use of upper case lettering when in fact the error was all mine
16/10/2012 at 18:51

if it was a genuine dilemma  for someone and after weighing up the pros and cons opted for the holiday event  then they could use the word 'reason' as to why they were not doing VLM...if however it was me and id been offered a place at VLM but was nt keen and the holiday option came along the the word 'excuse ' would then be apt...see?????????

16/10/2012 at 18:57
I beseech thy forgiveness my lady, my over casual perusal of your post caused me to innacurately assume that you had misunderstood the original post by WIB. I was most hasty to use caps lock, when instead I should have replied at leisure, having first confirmed the actual meaning of your choice of words. I do bend my knee, and hope you can find forgiveness for my brash error, and that we can progress further with no more thoughts on this matter...
16/10/2012 at 18:59

Debra - I can't believe you even need to ask!!!!  I'd take the trip over London, even if I was desperate to do London Marathon, it WILL still be there

I love running at night with headtorch, though can get a bit surreal that whole running down a tunnel feeling.

9 bars - love them for refueling after but find them way too chewy to eat on the run, feel like I expend more energy trying to chew them than run!! Adventurehub are sponsored by them so you get plenty on their races. I love them though.

Entered the Highland Fling last night so that's my first 2013 race entered! Although not sure about them setting everyone off at 6am - that's going to be one hell of a bundle with 500 runners.

16/10/2012 at 19:11

Okay! Okay! Still want to do VML (just once - I'm fed up of having to explain that yes, the Greater Manchester Marathon was just as far as VLM, and besides, I run longer races than that now...). But I'll take the vacation (Mediterranean cruise - surely just perfect for recovering after SDW50, before returning to training for Lakeland 50).

16/10/2012 at 19:18

aw Debs we are just trying to persuade you gently that London will be an option every year with the same old weather and people etc...can understand the having to explain the 'how far is this marathon then' scenario over and over..but the cruise is toooo good to miss. besides, its already made sense in your mind that its a perfect R&R before Lakeland sorted.

17/10/2012 at 09:39

LB: I know, it was just that I'd got next year's plans all sorted, and then...

Hopefully, if I spend the next year or so training for and running a few 50-milers (and maybe one or two "66 over two days" races), then I'll be able to remain pretty much fit for Comrades for 2014 anyway, so it won't be a problem if I need to rest for a couple of weeks after VLM 2014. 

So, now I need to remember the entry dats for SDW50...

17/10/2012 at 10:27

Ahhh, but plans should always be fluid Debra - and it does seem like too good an opportunity to miss

Besides, now you have the fun of making a whole new set of plans

Don't forget - TUESDAY 6th NOVEMBER!!!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.