wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

6,041 to 6,060 of 8,248 messages
17/10/2012 at 10:48

Hey Guys, bit of a shameless plug but I have just started setting up and running races in the Essex area for Ultra's.

I am an ultra runner and some of you guys have already entered my first race the Stort30 but we plan to rune several more in the next year that will suit ultra runners of all abilities. Please take a look at www.challenge-running.co.uk the first 2 races are already on the race finder and online entries are available.

Happy to answer any questions.

WiB
17/10/2012 at 11:26

Have seen some talk of the Stort 30 on Fetch already... Will the St Peters way be marked or self navigating?

Also interested in the Essex way race.

Good luck with them

WiB
17/10/2012 at 14:15

Hi WiB I am usually on fetch mostly. St Peters way will be A Map and route description for each stage (between CPs) it is also maked with way markers all alonng the route. 45 miles is too far to put signs out for every turn.

Essex way will be similar

17/10/2012 at 15:33

All my running plans are fluid, they have had to be since the kids arrived and that includes the races too. I usually have in my head the races I absolutely will do whatever it takes and others that are on the 'would be nice if I managed them'.

17/10/2012 at 18:49

ultrarocker: Tuesday 6th November. Got it.

cragchick: Lakeland 50 is my "absolutely will do" race for next year and I'm pretty much planning my year around that and the recce days etc. Getting organised in advance doesn't come naturally to me so I was really proud of myself for being so organised for once. Oh well, best laid plans and all that - and it may even work better this way, being able to run SDW 50 as part of my training for Lakeland 50.

17/10/2012 at 18:53

Debra itll all come together, just you see anyway , other runs will pop up so a little flexibility is always good. my 'A ' races for next year are NDW50(just because i really love the course ,sad i know) and Ridheway85 as obviously thats a an increase in distance so exciting to get ready for*boing boing*

17/10/2012 at 19:28

I can see why you'd really love the course LLB, I used to love running on the Farnham end of the course when I lived South of the border!

Not sure what my 'must do' race will be next year - need to wait to enter and then accepted in a ballot or two!!! Then I'll have to decide whether to do one or both if that option occurs!!

17/10/2012 at 19:31

yes it is nice isnt it cragc? it changes along the way in views and underfoot so nice  variety i find

which ballots are you entering cragc???

18/10/2012 at 08:09

Starting the first week of my winter training this week. The dark mormings are hard to deal with. I even did a tempo run yesterday! Going to try and mix up my training more than I did in teh summer. I recently discovered a great website http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Main_Page Has some challenging views on training and running style. I am going to run slightly less often, but with more intensity on the days that I do.

Anyway not to distract everyone too much with running talk. Main reason I popped in this morning was to ask for views on these shoes Salomon S-Lab Fellcross. My crossmax 2s are starting to look a little jaded ): What are the hot shoes to be wearing this winter?

WiB
18/10/2012 at 09:28

Tim - I have not run in the fellcross. I have tried them on as they look great! I have used the Speedcross which has the same/very similar sole. Great in muddy conditions and on trail but using them on hard surfaces will wear the sole out real quick I think. I was happy with the speedcross but a little narrow for me and could only use them for short runs.

I may have just entered winter tanners! at £6 I couldn't resist  Although I have just looked at the directions written down... that's going to fry my brain following them.

Edited: 18/10/2012 at 11:29
WiB
18/10/2012 at 17:17

wib-are you in WT too? well, thats you and me with our superb map reading then locating anything with water and a herd of cows

18/10/2012 at 17:18

if it says 'find the little gate by the stream with the clump of snowdrops by the pile of stones'............then i may cope......if not im stuffed and i will spend hours running around the wilds of Surrey in a random fashion...is it in Surrey right??????

18/10/2012 at 17:25
Lou, they have the route descriptions from previous years on the website. It would be a good idea for you to take a look as there are abbreviations used, and I think they are in imperial measurements too...
18/10/2012 at 17:26

Going to be quite a few of us at Winter Tanners.

So far I'm booked for or thinking about:

• Winter Tanners 30M (20th Jan)
  • Pilgrims Way 33 x 2 (2nd & 3rd Feb)
  • SDW50 (13th April)
  • Lakeland 50 (27-28th July) plus the Lakeland 50 Recces

Hope that's not overloading myself...

18/10/2012 at 17:26
Aren't I helping now
I can map read and follow directions....
18/10/2012 at 17:28

??????

.....no probs

18/10/2012 at 17:30

ultrarocker wrote (see)
Aren't I helping now
I can map read and follow directions....

of course!! but you may have been roped into the Oceansfloor ultra by that time-the girl wants your help!

Edited: 18/10/2012 at 17:30
18/10/2012 at 17:31

so at Winter Tanners we have

-loulou

-wib

-rocker

-Debs

-Rosemary

-by eck

anyone else?

18/10/2012 at 17:48
Winter tanners is now in the diary after some 'negotiations'. I'm trying to work out when I need to start training for it. I'm doing Abingdon marathon on Sunday and hope to be proper running a few days later. Like many others, my training fits around family responsibilities.
18/10/2012 at 19:29

I think WIB is secretly jealous of my new TNF visor and is following me to all these races in the hope that I keel over and he can pluck it from my still warm body

Actually, how much Lou laughed when she saw it I don't think it will ever see the light of day again - how come Seb Chaigneau can make a white visor look cool, and I look like a prat?!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.