wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

6,061 to 6,080 of 8,277 messages
18/10/2012 at 19:30

Actually, here's a thought WIB - has anyone explained to you there's an OPENING time on the checkpoints at LDWA events as well as a closing time?? You're gonna freeze lad if you're standing around waiting for the people to get there!!

18/10/2012 at 20:02

cheers for the feedback WIB. Think I am going to have to fins a local stockist and try them. The fellcross is supposed to have a wider toe box and lower profile than the speedcross. So better for feeling terrain, not sure if this will help for longer runs though.

WiB
18/10/2012 at 20:10

A visor! I love a visor... I have a compressport one and a Helly Hansen now. Is the TNF one good?

Yep, that is why I tried them on Tim but opted for my trail rocs instead The fellcross do look awesome though.

WiB
18/10/2012 at 20:17

WIB - you can have it if you like, let's just say I was put off by the fact Lou couldn't stand upright for laughing so hard when I put it on....

Seriously, I'll bring it to wherever we both are next..?

18/10/2012 at 20:52

Always fancied the Winter Tanners, but would be a wee bit too far for me to travel I think! ... unless I have a random trip down South. Is that Holmbury St Mary way? Or am I confusing it with another event?

LLB - West Highland Way Race and UTMB are the ballots awaiting me ....

Tim - that linky is brilliant. Have been reading some of the stuff inbetween trying to get the kids to bed (ha ha). Love the section on Aid Stations ... I particularly like the 'fear of the chair' bit'

''Fear the chair If you have to sit down, then sit down, but fear the chair. It will suck you in and make it brutally hard to move on. Chairs by open fires are even worse – they are like the gravitational pull of a gas giant, pulling you down and holding you there.''

Vividly reminded me of the SDW race, a few were mocking me at aid stations for my refusal to sit down (only time was at half-way to check my feet), but these mocking souls were looking waaaaay to comfortable, and you just know that getting back up again is going to be hideous, especially at 80+ miles!!

18/10/2012 at 20:56

cragc-join us!!!!!!!!!!! please !!! we can wear our Nathan backpacks with pride and you me and rosemary can sport our funky Barbie pink sandwich bagsahem

18/10/2012 at 21:10

Ultrarocker - swap your TNF for a Buff visor then there are limitless ways to look a prat visor, pirate, saharain ....

18/10/2012 at 21:11

*snigger*

18/10/2012 at 21:12

18/10/2012 at 21:14
Buff = cool
Buff Visor = wtf were they thinking???
18/10/2012 at 21:16

*goes off to sport ski headband instead*

18/10/2012 at 21:18
It's not THAT cold....yet!
18/10/2012 at 21:38
I don't have a hat. I might need to knit a headband cos my hair gets in the way and my ears get cold.
18/10/2012 at 21:40

get a n arctic headband by eck -i love mine-snuggly warm ears!

18/10/2012 at 21:49
Ooo, are they expensive? I might have exhausted my kit allowance and I still need to persuade Mr by 'eck that going to a spa with my friend is essential for post Abingdon recovery.
18/10/2012 at 21:51

Is anyone else considering the Yorkshire Ultra (aka the Frostbite (mudbath) in January. Phill has persuaded me to consider this as he had to pull out with a bad ankle and wants to complete it this year. I am hoping that Alistair will be joining us again as well. How about cragchick?

I hoping for a lot more frost and a lot less mud! Would be my second attempt at running this 50 mile course and would be good to gauge if I have got any quicker on this route.

Edited: 18/10/2012 at 21:52
19/10/2012 at 13:18

Frostbite - i'll be there, lets hope it's more Frostbite than Trenchfoot.  This year has been a bit of a write off performance wise seem to have got slower through the year, so very much looking forward to getting back in the saddle early and having something to aim at for January.

19/10/2012 at 13:58

I'm still considering Pilgrims Way for Feb - would be my first two-day jaunt. I know the route (well, in one direction, anyway), I already have the map (from NDW50) and it woud be good training along the way to Lakeland 50 via SDW50...

That would make Winter Tanners into a training run for Pilgrim's Way.

19/10/2012 at 14:40

that sounds like a good idea Debs, i think thats pretty much what we are all doing now by the sounds of it..using one ultra as a training run for another, makes sense. WT will be a training run for TT50 for me, thatll be a training run for Compton 40 in April which will be a perfect training run to then taper off for NDW50 etc...

19/10/2012 at 16:25
I've been looking at pilgrims way too, for 2014. It's pretty local to me but would have to be the main race cost cos it's an overnighter and pretty expensive. I might have to give Mr by 'eck permission to go to 2 motorbike races that year.
Are there any other really good races in the Hampshire/Surrey area? I like the area and can train on it? Also, the kids don't have to hang around waiting for me!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.