wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

6,081 to 6,100 of 8,177 messages
19/10/2012 at 14:40

that sounds like a good idea Debs, i think thats pretty much what we are all doing now by the sounds of it..using one ultra as a training run for another, makes sense. WT will be a training run for TT50 for me, thatll be a training run for Compton 40 in April which will be a perfect training run to then taper off for NDW50 etc...

19/10/2012 at 16:25
I've been looking at pilgrims way too, for 2014. It's pretty local to me but would have to be the main race cost cos it's an overnighter and pretty expensive. I might have to give Mr by 'eck permission to go to 2 motorbike races that year.
Are there any other really good races in the Hampshire/Surrey area? I like the area and can train on it? Also, the kids don't have to hang around waiting for me!
WiB
19/10/2012 at 16:47

Caesars Camp

WiB
19/10/2012 at 16:54

i may do the midnight 30 next year...was tempted to do it this time but i cant drive fast enough  to Abingdon.......

19/10/2012 at 16:55

do you mean ANY  races/events by eck or  just ultras...

19/10/2012 at 16:57

Pony express ultra in may next year? thats New Forest, multistage

19/10/2012 at 17:10

Which is why I'm now finding it difficult to commiserate with people who think training for TWO marathons in a year (one every six months!) is hard work. Even if they are going for relatively fast times.

Surely, injuries apart, it makes sense just to keep your base level of fitness up, not let it drop right back then have to build again for the next marathon?

19/10/2012 at 17:45
Debra Bourne wrote (see)

Which is why I'm now finding it difficult to commiserate with people who think training for TWO marathons in a year (one every six months!) is hard work. Even if they are going for relatively fast times.

yep, i agree. i do often think from time to time how easy that must feel to just have 2 points in the year to aim for.  i also agree with you on keeping up base fitness. i think id find it far harder to just train for  2 marathons for example going from practically scratch each time than to do an organised schedule of events each with a purpose leading towards each other.

19/10/2012 at 19:51

Tim and Alistair...i mightn't just join you for The Frostbite 50 [Yorkshire ultra],

Alistair..hope your hamstrings trouble is healing OK? Let me a know when your fit and want to  go for a run,and Happy Birthday to the wife for tomorrow

19/10/2012 at 20:02

Well, I thought about all the training I'd put in for NDW50, and in the year before that, working back up from near-zero after my injury. And I thought, why let all that fitness go? Why not keep doing B2B long runs say every third weekend, with at least one decently long run one of the other weekends, and keep my fitness up to the point where I -could- run a mara or 50k or similar at any time, and wouldn't have too much to do to build back to a 50-miler? 

19/10/2012 at 20:05

Daytrekker - Be great if you can make Frostbite; hamstrings are holding up, range of movement improving, along with distance I can cover before they resemble violin strings. 

I will pass on the birthday greetings; turgid day trudging around Meadowhall I suspect, still if I am a good boy might be able to swing by Accelerate on the way home.

I am in Snowdonia for the marathon next weekend but a run the following week will be tip, top. I am planning a Peak Distrist run either 10th or 17th November also.

19/10/2012 at 20:17

Alistair that sounds good to me, I was going to do The Round Rotherham 50 tomorrow but had a bit of a injury myself this week ,so going bike out to Walesby and do the Dukeries Dusk into Dark instead,then bike back.

19/10/2012 at 20:30
WiB, Caesars camp is very very tempting but I might be too firmly in the pink lipstick and manicured nails grouping for Henk's liking. I have read the website and think I have a good idea of what I would be letting myself in for. I doubt I would let the little by 'ecks anywhere near the race tho...
Debra, that is my plan too. I dropped back to 10 mile lsr after Milton Keynes and found it really disheartening. Plus, I'm discovering fab new runs all the time.
19/10/2012 at 20:35

Debs, i havnt even had the mindset of stopping and then gearing up for a race all over again , just feels normal train of thought now for this year and 2013 to just keep going!...i think B2B every 3rd week is good plan.

19/10/2012 at 21:07

DAYTREKKER - Enjoy your ride and run. I hope Roger gets a decent turn out, it's a great idea for an event.

RRR50 - Is on the plan for next year.

I'll give you a shout next week to firm something up.

19/10/2012 at 21:17

Trainer advice please.... (NO laughs Alistair or DT!!)

My Cascadia 7s have had a fair old summer of use and I want to bring something new in ready for a smooth change over. I've just picked up some very cheap North Face Single Track Hayasa but they seem to be very much more of a summer shoe, than a cold, muddy winter model, so I need another pair to get me through to next year.

Options are :

1. Another pair of Cacadia 7 - well, they got me through my first two ultras, and some very long training runs, in all different conditions

2. Inov8 Roclite 295

3. Inov8 Roclite 315

I've read lots of reviews online, and the 315 seem to be the tougher model, with the Endurance rubber sole, which lasts longer but doesn't grip as well... whereas the 295 seem to be a good model to take me into next year and the TNF Hayasa...

However, I have no experience of the Inov8 range, and will have to buy online as I have a rather nice voucher that needs using up...

So - stick with another pair of Cascadia - or move to try some Inov8s?

Thoughts please?

19/10/2012 at 21:36

Ultrarocker - or wait for the Cascadia 8? Or join me by importing a pair of New Balance MT1010's?

Seriously I reckon if it aint broke dont fix it! 

What's up with the Cascadia? 

19/10/2012 at 22:11
Cascadia 8 aren't until next spring though in the uk? The NB 1210 Leadville looks interesting but that's not out until Spring either, I want something for this winter.

To be honest nothing wrong really with the Brooks, just debating going down to a slightly lower heel-toe drop, or trying something different - may find the perfect shoe...or may waste my money lol?!
19/10/2012 at 22:17

I'm loving the Merrell Mix master for a lower heel drop shoe, they are a bit like the Brooks pure Grit but with better grip (and v. slightly less squishy ride)!!!

19/10/2012 at 22:28

I am drooling all over the Altra Zero Drop The Superior at the moment, will need to put a few weeks between the arrval of my NB MT110's and the Altra's though else MRS S will retaliate and her brands of choice are Chanel, Fendi, Ferragamo.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.