wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

6,121 to 6,140 of 8,295 messages
22/10/2012 at 10:13

Great report WiB and great running!  You really are on great form at the moment.

WiB
22/10/2012 at 10:21

Cheers. I should probably pay more attention during the races to make the write ups a bit more interesting though! 

WiB
22/10/2012 at 10:24

I'm always amazed when I see really detailed event reports.  I tend to run 'in the moment' and can only ever recall impressions and particularly good/bad parts of the event.

WiB
22/10/2012 at 10:48

Yeah, I think some of the really detailed ones are good. I just generally enjoy the running as opposed to thinking "Oooh I could write about that!"

Anyway, I have a very easy week and weekend lined up now! What do we have next on the race line up? Beachy Marathon this weekend I know of.

WiB
22/10/2012 at 11:11
Snowdonia marathon for me at the weekend, I believe there is a cold snap due too!!!
22/10/2012 at 12:34

Looks like trail shoes and colder weather gear will be the order of the day for Beachy.  I'll try and spot you WiB, but shan't keep pace LOL.  I shall be ambling around and making the most of the sausage rolls.

WiB
22/10/2012 at 12:37

I won't be running Rosemary It is local to me so hoping to pop down and have a watch if possible.

The downs are pretty wet and muddy in places at the moment. I would go with trail shoes, the ground will at least be soft so will get away with them no problems even if it isn't muddy.

WiB
22/10/2012 at 12:41

I'll keep an eye out for you.  Trail shoes are definitely being dusted off this evening. 

WiB
22/10/2012 at 12:49

Mine are about to be hosed off from the weekend!

WiB
22/10/2012 at 14:41

Nice report and great running WiB!
Dart Vale marathon for me can't say I'll be doing it again. Two laps on the road, pretty hilly and not that scenic. First lap is ok as the 1/2 marathon goes the same route but the second lap was largely solo. Knew from about mile 16 I wasn't going to hit my time so pretty much gave up and cruised in to save the legs for 3:34.
I knew it was not going to go right when the race was started by Ann Widdecombe! (Her airhorn malfunctioned as well!)

22/10/2012 at 15:00

Blimey, Ann Widdecombe would certainly scare me into starting too fast!

22/10/2012 at 16:08
JeremyG wrote (see)

I knew it was not going to go right when the race was started by Ann Widdecombe! (Her airhorn malfunctioned as well!)

jeremy , i think thats the best and funniest sentance ive read on this thread to date

22/10/2012 at 17:09

It was a bit odd really esp as the start was basically on a private road in an industrial clay pit complex - who says racing isn't glamorous!
A club mate gave her a big sweaty man hug when he got his age group prize in the 10K - she wasn't impressed apparently!

22/10/2012 at 20:00

Great race report WiB.

Rosemary, see you at Eastbourne for Beachy Head. WiB - hope to see you there as well. I need to scrape the cross-country's thick dried mud (hope it will have dried by then) off my trail shoes tomorrow, then wash them, then dry them ready for Saturday... Must keep checking the weather forecasts. Couple of weeks ago on the Tue/Wed it was predicting rain for the Jog Shop Jog 20, but by the Fruday it was predicting the lovely clear weather we actually got.

22/10/2012 at 21:08

Big GGRRRRR for New Balance, having bought and enjoyed  Mt101's, MT110's, MR00 all in UK size 10, ordered their new MT1010's in UK size 10 imported said shoe from New York and yup you guessed it the MT1010's are a good half size bigger than the other 3 models, why oh why do the shoe companies do this GGRRRR, GGRRRRR and double GGGRRRRR.

23/10/2012 at 09:38

Alistair.. you might just need that bit of extra size when your running around a track for 48 hrs.

23/10/2012 at 13:57

DAYTREKKER - Will need more than big shoes pal, I take it from your remarks you won't be joining me? Not even for the fun run (24 HR)?

They look like just the job for MdS, may order the size smaller for now and keep these for the MdS.

Can't believe I am getting grief from a triathlete on an Ultra forum, moderator can you not pick up DAYTREKKER and drop him on a forum that is talking about the differences between carbon and titanium safety pins or similar?????

23/10/2012 at 14:23

Alistair...Would love to join you buddy . But there's so many races i want to do around that time, that i just couldn't fit it in ,doubly .By the way when are you going to get your bike out and come for a ride ?

24/10/2012 at 07:33

have been reading some runners race reports from ' ultratales '-some really fantastic write ups and handy for people running any of them in future. im taking careful note of peoples comments regarding Ridgeway85

24/10/2012 at 13:17

DAYTREKKER - Why do I perceive a veiled threat in that kind invitation? Love to pal, let me know when you have in mind and I and my 18 month old bike will be in attendance ready to take it into double digits for miles covered (shameful, I know).

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.