wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

6,141 to 6,160 of 8,271 messages
25/10/2012 at 12:56
Hi i Have Just entered my first 40 mile run in feb.I Have been looking at the mad dog website and am thinking about paying for a 12 week personalised plan,the price is very reasonable.Has anybody used mikes services..if so would you reccomend..
WiB
25/10/2012 at 13:19

I have never heard of him Kelvyn, had a look on the site and was unable to see any info on his coaching or prices. I can tell you that coaching has helped my running for sure and I would say it is well worth doing, take a look around first and ensure you get one that has experience of ultra running/coaching. I did see that mentioned on the site whilst looking through. Have fun

WiB
WiB
25/10/2012 at 13:28

Oh... and which race have you entered?

WiB
25/10/2012 at 13:29

Hi Kelvyn & how exciting having a 40 miler coming up!
I've previously used the MD and for a 12 week plan I can certainly recommend him. However, I have found his plans to become very predictive after that (even though I stayed with him for over a year). Also just bear in mind the time difference, which can sometimes make obtaining  'emergency advice' a bit tricky.
Good luck for February!

25/10/2012 at 13:41
Thanks for that! it is the Born to run ultra in llanelli..
26/10/2012 at 15:20

kelvyn, heard lot of good things about the Born to run ultra from this years runners,  it is  mainly all tarmac/ cycle paths though but fine if you likey that kinda thing

26/10/2012 at 16:25
Yeh I Just thought it might be best to start with a relatively flat run and maybe build from there.even though I do most of my training on mountains and trails.and Its only an hour from home..
26/10/2012 at 17:29

ah yes, no excuse then if that close to home! i know 2 or 3 people who did it this year and one going back again to do it.

i wish i had mountains and hills on my doorstep!

27/10/2012 at 20:54

Beachy Head mara in eight words: windy, hilly, cold, great views, fantastic marshals/volunteers.

Fairly pleased with my finish time of 4.35, given that I've not specifically trained for this run. Much less slippery packed chalk than the Jog Shop Jog 20 a fortnight ago, thankfully. Might have been a bit faster if I hadn't done the cross-country and 10K last weekend, but hey, I was running the cross-country for my club, and I wanted a proper 10K time.

WiB
28/10/2012 at 04:54
Heard it was windy. Standard stuff for the coast though!

Up early, watching a bit of MotoGP then off for an early 10 miles. Forgot about the clocks going back and its still dark at the moment.
WiB
28/10/2012 at 08:02

04:54am?????? WIB.....why didnt anyone remind you??????

28/10/2012 at 08:09
WIB - you are a silly sod! Even if you had noticed the clock change you'd have still been up before 6....on a Sunday?!?!
28/10/2012 at 08:28
Some of us had no choice.... Yurgh, being up before kids tv starts is not good.
WiB
28/10/2012 at 08:35

I got up at the right time... I was just saying it was still dark out the door at 06:00 for a morning run

WiB
28/10/2012 at 08:48
6???
On a Sunday????

I used to love getting up pre-dawn when I was a photographer. Walking into position on a beach, or in hills in the dark, no-one else around, then watching as dawn broke. I kinda miss those days...

I kinda miss running too at the moment...I'd have been up that early if it meant I could go out...
WiB
28/10/2012 at 08:55

Still having achilles issues?

WiB
28/10/2012 at 09:01
Yeah pain has gone, creaking has gone, but it's still not 100%. So I'm forcing myself to rest, accepting that Druids is just going to be a no pressure run in the countryside, and hoping that will be enough to start building back up in December.
28/10/2012 at 12:18

Ultrarocker - I had that 'creaky' thing in my achilles earlier in the year, feel your pain bud, that creaking sh1t is just plain weird too.

Snowdonia Marathon - First post Hardmoors DNF run for me chance to test my hamstrings on some hills, started out great, moving on the flat and on the uphill really well indeed, some good splits with low, low effort, early on. Some improvement in the hamstrings as the 'chronic fatigue' feeling didn't hit them until a little later perhaps miles 15 or so, thereafter it was a sloggggg held on though by walking the uphills from 15 onwards and finished in 4:29. The event is great scenery almost made up for it being on road.

28/10/2012 at 15:38

Alistair - well done on the race - it's a lovely area, but I still don't fancy the tarmac! What did you do for your achilles? Just rest? Ice? I'm finding heat seems to help the most?

28/10/2012 at 15:44

Alistair well done, sorry to hear you had injury issues  maybe a little rest in order to restore yourself to full fitness for 2013 needed?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.