wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

6,161 to 6,180 of 8,331 messages
28/10/2012 at 15:59
Rocker - rest, alternated between deep heat and deep freeze to stimulate circulation, avoided big hills for a while and made a small change to my gait.

LLB - think you are right this weekend was my 12th run at marathon distance or longer since my first marathon 2 years ago. So much I want to do next year so whilst not resting completely will be having a few weeks of very low intensity and am going to see a sports physio as whilst far from chronic the injury is killing my times and enjoyment.
28/10/2012 at 19:07

i think thats wise Alistair, likewise Rocker should do the same. better to do low intensity for a couple of months and start the new season fighting fit than to keep going and risk more problems that may drag you down all of next year.

28/10/2012 at 19:22

HI Alistair, would you run that race again next year?

Sounds like you are well on your way to becoming a 100 Marathon club member I am must admitt that I intend to enter more marathons next year as training runs with the intent of getting into that club

Hope you can get back to enjoying your runs soon. Maybe try some long bike rides?

28/10/2012 at 20:23

Tim - not sure about next year, will definitely be back just not sure when. Looking at a social marathon (that was the deal with Snowdonia more about the company and after event party than the racing) now, first three entries on list are Kielder, Snowdonia, Glencoe and Coniston Trail (said I woudn't go back but having run and loved the first two I am loath not to run it every year - more 100 marathon runner behaviour I fear) i was going to circulate the list we put together to see what suggestion you and Phil have and to see what fits your calendars too.

I was thinking as I typed that earlier post I should start the spreadsheet to record marathons completed and when I get to 48 spend the next 52 weeks finishing it off!

I am enjoying running just not racing, simply because I have been in decline since April / May. Should definitely bike some, I bought a decent carbon road bike 18 months ago and have used it 3 times (all in the first fortnight) super shoddy really.

I am planning an 8 week, metabolic efficiency training cycle starting from Tuesday so will be keeping the intensity really low and am hoping I can rehabilitate whatever it is that is wrong with my hamstrings during this (need to see physio, I think it is a form of sciatica opposed to any damage, what is a bit of a nightmare is that driving really seems to aggravate things and I do 700+ miles of driving a week)

28/10/2012 at 20:26
Alistair- well done on Snod! Cracking weather too this year. Not like normal!
Edited: 28/10/2012 at 20:27
28/10/2012 at 20:28
Race is on S4c in a few minutes! You can find it on Sky
28/10/2012 at 20:46

Jason D - Thanks go to you without  your mentions of it wouldn't have thought to run it, you should be on commission. Awesome race, made all the better by putting a few faces to names and or pseudonyms. Definitely struck gold with the weather!

29/10/2012 at 09:04

So, reports from others who completed Beachy Head? Come on, I know I wasn't the only one... A club member who stayed overnight says there was no wind on Sunday morning...

Alistair, well done with Snowdonia.

29/10/2012 at 12:50

Alistair...well done on Snod,watched it on TV last night,Looks very senic,but a bit to much road for me. Any way hope the hamstrings improve soon.How are you fixed for a bike ride this weekend , I promise not to kill you.  

WiB
29/10/2012 at 13:11
ALISTAIR STEWART 4 wrote (see)

I am planning an 8 week, metabolic efficiency training cycle starting from Tuesday so will be keeping the intensity really low and am hoping I can rehabilitate whatever it is that is wrong with my hamstrings during this (need to see physio, I think it is a form of sciatica opposed to any damage, what is a bit of a nightmare is that driving really seems to aggravate things and I do 700+ miles of driving a week)

Alistair - Well done at Snod!... What is that ^^^?

Edited: 29/10/2012 at 13:12
WiB
29/10/2012 at 15:10

WIB - This Podcast will explain it much better than I can:

http://trailrunnernation.com/2012/09/metabolic-efficiency-training-with-sunny-blende-and-tim-flemming/

In essence an active approach to improving fat adaption, using both diet and low intensity excercise.

WiB
29/10/2012 at 15:28

Ah ok, cheers Alistair. Will have a listen Already have a pretty low carb/high fat & protein diet but want to improve it over the winter.

Currently reading "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance" so it could fit in nicely

WiB
29/10/2012 at 16:04

Interesting - i'll have a read up as well. I'm currently reading Racing Weight by Matt Fitzgerald which is really making me think, and evaluate as part of my winter of improvement...

WiB
29/10/2012 at 16:10

Ah, weight is the other thing. I have lost weight before but I had to reduce the amount I was eating to do it (surprise surprise). Cutting out carbohydrate has so far seen me drop 2kg without actually starving myself to do it! Infact, this time I had not had the intention of any weight loss I just wanted to try a new eating approach.

WiB
29/10/2012 at 16:25

2kg????? im not sure this cutting out food n stuff is a good thing!

29/10/2012 at 16:44

I'm not specifically looking to lose weight per se: according to what i've read so far my optimum racing weight should be 10st, which is only just over half a stone from where I am now, but I should only be aiming to hit that mark in the same way that I aim to hit my peak of training on race day, and then allow myself leeway of up to 8% in off season etc. I'm still reading, and still learning. One of the main things I need to do is improve my diet, but cooking for one does get tedious...hence taking the easier options sometimes (no, NOT Pot Noodle!!). I also need to cut down on "treats", or replace them with healthier options. If I improve my fuelling then I should hopefully be able to improve my training, and my performance.

29/10/2012 at 20:16

DAYTREKKER - Love to go for a bike ride buddy, let me know when and i'll put some air in the tyres of my poor neglected bike. 

29/10/2012 at 20:29
WiB- of course the better way to cut weight, especially body fat, is to increase mileage far preferable to limiting food
Ultrarocker- what's your body fat %? Too many people caught out by weight. You could be a very lean 10 st, or a very flabby 10st, with big differences in performance....Racing weight is good book- helped me lose a stone since June and get body fat down to low 10%. Still work to do over next few months ....
WiB
29/10/2012 at 20:54
Certainly not restricting food now JD
WiB
29/10/2012 at 20:55

Jason - bought myself some scales on Saturday as well - fancy ones that use very clever electrickery to tell me lots!

Body fat is 20.4% - first target is 16.6%, followed by ultimate target of 13.9%

Low 10%!!! mighty lean there my friend, well done you!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.