wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

6,181 to 6,200 of 8,177 messages
WiB
29/10/2012 at 20:54
Certainly not restricting food now JD
WiB
29/10/2012 at 20:55

Jason - bought myself some scales on Saturday as well - fancy ones that use very clever electrickery to tell me lots!

Body fat is 20.4% - first target is 16.6%, followed by ultimate target of 13.9%

Low 10%!!! mighty lean there my friend, well done you!

29/10/2012 at 20:57

Yes, i'm not necessarily looking to restrict food, so much as change what I eat... I have a reasonable diet now, lots of fresh food, freshly cooked meals etc - I very rarely rely on ready meals, and certainly don't do pot noodles or similar crap. My weakness is "treats" - if they're not there I won't eat them, simple, don't buy them.... then people turn up at work with cakes, doughnuts, biscuits etc...

29/10/2012 at 21:13

now you have all got me wondering what my fat% is...although  at least i know its all on my arse  ....

29/10/2012 at 21:19

Told you i'd bring my scales to Druids Lou, then you can find out...

29/10/2012 at 21:49

Ultrarocker - Which brand did you go for? I have got the Tanita, which measure my body fat as between 13-14% on any given day (I think hydration can be a factor), more pleasingly they tell me I have the BMR (basal metabolic rate) of a 21 year old, it's  a shame the mirror tells such a different story!

29/10/2012 at 21:51
Alistair
29/10/2012 at 21:56
Alistair, it's a while since I've seen you, but you were looking sleek at Dukeries! I got a relatively basic Salter set, as long as I always use the same ones the tracking of loss (or gain !) will at least be consistent.
30/10/2012 at 07:25
ultrarocker wrote (see)

Told you i'd bring my scales to Druids Lou, then you can find out...

30/10/2012 at 11:37

Rocker - Cheers buddy! Mind I saw the Snowdonia Marathon TV coverage in which the only shot of me is my big arse in tights running away from the camera, not pretty and no wonder people were working so hard to pass me!

Truth be told have gained a few pounds in part through some gym work but also as I am well down on average weekly mileage.

My scales don't match those in the gym etc but are reasonably consistent provided I weigh myself same day / same time of day.

I have a big weight loss goal to achieve and am engaged in some competitive slimming with a running pal, last one to 12 stones is running the Tything Barn 5K (look it up!).

Have you got a Kindle or other E-book reader? If so I'll send you some books on diet that sit around the lower carb, higher fat and protein, better fat adaption principles.

WiB
30/10/2012 at 12:38

hahaha... That race looks hilarious Alistair!

A good place to look for fat adaption and diet tips is www.optimumnutrition4sport.co.uk

WiB
30/10/2012 at 14:52

Cheers for the link WIB - i'm now off to have a read....and yes, I am at work

WiB
30/10/2012 at 20:39

Did you get to have a read Rocker? His first bit on state of mind pretty much sets out his stall on the matter of carb vs fat/protein. He is a very good runner too and really does seem to practice what he preaches with good effect.

Ok... GPS watches. Hit me with opinions. Mine has died, so I would like to replace it. Do I A) replace it quickly with a simple Garmin that I can find for reasonably cheap or do I B) Get a Suunto Ambit/Garmin Fenix when I have saved up the cash so I can track my longer races?!

If B then which one?!!? Any gadget fans help me?!

WiB
30/10/2012 at 21:01

What am I looking at on that website?

30/10/2012 at 21:04
Weight loss. Mmm. I struggle once the mileage goes up. I get so darned hungry after long runs, whereas when I'm just doing short runs I find it easy to limit what I eat. So wrong way around!
30/10/2012 at 21:10

Wib- option B. the expensive option £££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

30/10/2012 at 21:10

i like making men spend money

30/10/2012 at 21:12

NID me too..i need food and more of it!!!

30/10/2012 at 21:16

Hey WIB - no, didn't get a chance after all, bloody client's expecting me to do things....

As for a watch - ermmm, i'd Google a few reviews first? Sure I read somewhere that the Fenix isn't that impressive, and I know I was looking at a Suunto (not the Ambit) as a rather nice present to myself, and was within a couple of clicks of ordering it when I noticed that every review said the build quality was atrocious, nice watch, but when the bezel starts flaking after a few days there's a concern! You know you can make a very easy solution using a tiny portable powerpack and the charging cradle that gives a basic Garmin 305 about 24 hour life?

WiB
30/10/2012 at 22:04

Power pack... cradle...?!?! I dont even like carrying an extra gel!

I will get to work on some reviews tomorrow though mate.

Edited: 30/10/2012 at 22:05
WiB
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.