wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

6,201 to 6,220 of 8,239 messages
30/10/2012 at 22:12
I'm just trying to slow you down
30/10/2012 at 22:14

WIB - Can't comment on the Suntoo Ambit or Garmin Fenix, do have the Garmin 910XT which does what it says on the tin, it managed just shy of 21 hours on its longest run yet and is nice and simple to use.

WiB
30/10/2012 at 22:33

You have no idea how confused I would get with a power pack as well mate!

Cheers Alistair, I will add that to my list of ones to look up

WiB
30/10/2012 at 23:22

ooooh, way too much to catch up on in my absence (school hols) but some great running/racing going on. Well done on surviving SNOD and Beachy Head and some good times too considering hilliness/weather/underfoot conditions. Congratulated WIB over on another thread, but repeat it here too!!

Creaking around a tendon is 'cripitus' - basically the 'synovial fluid) which is what surrounds the tendon and keeps it sliding, thickens when inflamed and makes it creak!  Thing with achilles in my experience is that the icing etc helps the creaking but you don't want to keep it imobile either!!

Driving 700 miles per week - OMG, cannot imagine what your hip-flexors and hamstrings must be like (well with my pilates instructor head on, the hamstrings will be too long and the hip flexors will be too short and tight!!). sooo need to balance it all out to get things working again properly ...

weight loss - ummm - no thank you - well it's OK if you need to and it doesn't compromise immune system etc in the process!

I have some New Balance minimus trail (were £39 at Sportsdirect). Have been walking around in them a lot and did first 10 min run in them today before doing rest in my roclites. Love them

Have blimmin cold just in time for club XC at weekend in Inverness - bah humbug!! 

pmo
31/10/2012 at 08:55

WiB, if you've got a spare few hours, and haven't already, check out the device reviews on dcrainmaker.com - he's almost too thorough

pmo
WiB
31/10/2012 at 09:03

Strangely enough pmo I have just found his reviews! This could take a while to read.

WiB
31/10/2012 at 09:32

Cragchick - thanks so much for that explanation! I was rather concerned about the creaking, as it wasn't something i'd ever experienced before. Funnily enough, ice just made it too stiff and painful, but heat really did help.

Did a short 3 and a half miles last night to test it - absolutely no pain at all, so going to build back up slowly... Tried my TNF Single Track Hayasa for the first time last night - sadly only on road, which isn't their ideal surface, but they felt okay...not sure i'll use them at Druids next Friday, may be a bit too soon, and they are a bit light/thin if it's manky weather!

31/10/2012 at 11:04

What fat are you talking about Loula??? If there was any less of you, you'd be transparent!

31/10/2012 at 15:45

im like an egg timer Slaneuk-the sand all goes to the bottom

31/10/2012 at 15:47

cragc, didnt know you were doing pilates instructor course-ive thought about about that too. where are you doing that?

31/10/2012 at 15:55

Well that makes sense Loula, since if you were any thinner in the middle, you'd be 2 dimensional :P

31/10/2012 at 15:57

..funneeeeeeeee

entries for NDW50 open Friday!!!!!!!

WiB
31/10/2012 at 16:01

I heard that you are not allowed to enter Lou... Bad news eh

WiB
31/10/2012 at 16:07

ok -WHO got me banned......i really wasnt THAT much trouble

31/10/2012 at 16:25

Weren't me - I'll vouch for yer!!!

And I'll encourage other ultrarunnermites to vote for you too, if only to see you in your new fetching converted centurion-crew tshirt/running kit outfit. Heck I mite even do the NDW50 as well if it wasnt clashing!!!

31/10/2012 at 16:29

WIB, wrt longer times on garmins, I've converted my 310 so it can run for 100s of hours. No need for expensive triathlete watches, I think it cost me about £20

31/10/2012 at 16:34

100s of hours????????? erm......

i will have a new NDW50 top in 2013 in pristine condition Slaneuk, i will preserve that one in its original state. the 2012 one will be well and truly loved and worn by May

31/10/2012 at 19:35

Slane - did you do the trick with the charging cradle and battery pack? Or do you have another idea up your sleeve?

31/10/2012 at 20:59

It was me who mentioned them Fellrunner - have been umming and aaahing for ages but they were £39.99 at Sportsdirect. Mine are black with blue trim. Agree they feel just like slippers, I want to wear them all the time. Can't wait to get out and run a bit further in them but being sensible and building them up

LLB - course is fabulous and I am loving it. The woman who runs the course is really inspiring. She's based in Edinburgh and I'm so impressed I know I'd happily travel back to her for refresher days etc, even if I lived further away.  It's this http://energywiseacademy.co.uk/energywise/qualifications/current-qualification-on-offer

31/10/2012 at 21:29

slaneuk: How??? Does it still show the data while it's charging? Tell me more!!!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.