wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

6,281 to 6,300 of 8,331 messages
02/11/2012 at 08:58

You me both Crag.   Seems to be a bit of ultra running snobbery in here.

WiB
02/11/2012 at 09:13

CC - I would certainly consider one if I could be bothered to learn to swim fast enough! I just can't bring myself to go to a swimming pool and dedicate the time to it.

I think you have taken it a little to seriously spen...

WiB
WiB
02/11/2012 at 09:21

So... who has fingers on the entry button for NDW 50?!

WiB
02/11/2012 at 09:37
WiB wrote (see)

CC - I would certainly consider one if I could be bothered to learn to swim fast enough! I just can't bring myself to go to a swimming pool and dedicate the time to it.

At least you can swim... I can do a good impression of a drowning man....mostly because I would be!!

Kinda tempted by a duathlon though...

02/11/2012 at 09:40
WiB wrote (see)

So... who has fingers on the entry button for NDW 50?!

Nah, not too bothered, think i'll leave it a while...maybe even give it a miss....

*starts stopwatch to see how long it takes Lou to come in panicking and screaming*

WiB
02/11/2012 at 09:51

I will be there but no need to bother with the entry...

Edited: 02/11/2012 at 09:51
WiB
02/11/2012 at 10:30
WiB wrote (see)

Backhanders to the coach don't count!!! Or are you throwing jelly babies at passing runners again?

I tell you what, Lou had better be quicker than this come race day

02/11/2012 at 10:30

My beef with triathlons is that it's not really a level field, so somebody not as fit but with a better bike can do better than somebody who is very fit but has a crap bike. I think this then turns it into a "my bike is better than yours" competition a lot of the time, which is no fun for me. Plus I can't swim at all well. Plus the runs are usually all on road. Plus the bike rides are usually all on road. To each their own though

Last night I did a 2hr run up to the Ridgeway with a head torch. It was a crisp autumn evening, the moon was out and the stars were shining. There is something so stripped back and basic about times like that and it's this that draws me to running and especially ultras. A million miles away from the aerodynamic seatpost brigade

02/11/2012 at 10:34

ultrarocker wrote (see)
WiB wrote (see)

Backhanders to the coach don't count!!! Or are you throwing jelly babies at passing runners again?

I tell you what, Lou had better be quicker than this come race day

ive been awake since 5am ffs!!!! in in in in  - we are in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited: 02/11/2012 at 10:41
02/11/2012 at 10:42

its filling fast at the mo ....andrea!!!!! have you entered????????

WiB
02/11/2012 at 10:43

No I won't be running it Rocker

Shawk - It is the same as any sport really though. For example you can spend plenty of money getting kit to meet the requirements that ultra races list as mandatory and save a lot of weight.

I do joke about the triathletes as much as the next person but any sport can require you to spend extra money to have better kit, save weight etc. When you start talking about bikes the money difference is greater but the principle is no different really.

I can't swim fast enough to compete at a triathlon either but I can't blame anyone but myself for not being as fast as I would like I could complete one but I would not do one just for the sake of doing it, I would like to do it well. One day maybe an IM. I would need 26 miles of running to repair the damage done by my poor swimming

Edited: 02/11/2012 at 10:45
WiB
02/11/2012 at 10:47

Wib, DONT go all nicey nicey !!!

i like bike, i like run-i dont do swim except in a nice tropical sea

02/11/2012 at 10:50
shawk wrote (see)

My beef with triathlons is that it's not really a level field, so somebody not as fit but with a better bike can do better than somebody who is very fit but has a crap bike. I think this then turns it into a "my bike is better than yours" competition a lot of the time, which is no fun for me. Plus I can't swim at all well. Plus the runs are usually all on road. Plus the bike rides are usually all on road. To each their own though

Last night I did a 2hr run up to the Ridgeway with a head torch. It was a crisp autumn evening, the moon was out and the stars were shining. There is something so stripped back and basic about times like that and it's this that draws me to running and especially ultras. A million miles away from the aerodynamic seatpost brigade

shawk, i agree, i always see it as becoming all about the kit and agree too that if someone excels in one part they can make up a lot of dostance and time if they arnt do hot on another area. running isnt like that, you have to be good- and for a long way and for a long time-simple!

i love the Ridgeway cant wait to do some dark runs there, am looking forward to druids next week

WiB
02/11/2012 at 10:57

Lou - You can still apply that principle elsewhere though... a race with mixed terrain someone who excels on flat road sections has an advantage over someone who excels on hilly trail so will both be able to use their ability to their advantage. The same way a strong swimmer and cyclist will most likely work harder early on in a triathlon to compensate for someone who may be a faster runner.

Yes they look silly in their lycra baby grows and it is amusing to have a laugh about it, they probably laugh at us taking dumps in the woods by torchlight! I still respect the sporting aspect of it and training for 3 disciplines. I like the simplicity of running, but as already mentioned that can become a quest for lightweight gear, better shoes for different conditions, better head torch, watch with longer battery life etc.

WiB
WiB
02/11/2012 at 11:05
loulabell wrote (see)

Wib, DONT go all nicey nicey !!!

i like bike, i like run-i dont do swim except in a nice tropical sea

What can I say... I'm just a nice guy

WiB
02/11/2012 at 11:11
The other problem with the bike, swim malarkey is it means less time for running!!!
Struggling to put up with reduced mileage post Chester/ Snowdonia maras as it is!!!
WiB
02/11/2012 at 11:15

How did Chester go JD? PB attempt wasn't it?

I need to get to a fast marathon at some point just to sort out my PB for it which is pretty soft for me now...

WiB
02/11/2012 at 11:41

Agree with time constraints for training for all three disciplines totally, fitting in a run IS way easier than other stuff - sometimes. But as I get 'whisper whisper' a bit older, I am more aware of just trying to keep myself injury free ... I KNOW that cycling can massively help with run training, and for me, up here, swimming is a good alternative when there is a blizzard blowing outside and even the beach is covered in ice!! I can't do more than half a length of front-crawl without drowning, it hysterical to watch, but practise practise!

As for bike vs ability, I actually think that if you are a strong runner, you are likely to be a good cyclist anyway (similar muscles) so being cr*p at swimming is the least of your worries ... you can make up a lot more time on a decent bike and run than you can on a decent swim.  Anyway, just saying!  I LOVE my mountains and running, they are my great passions, but variety is the spice of life ...

and of course, back to ULTRA RUNNING ... of course ... for all those that live miles away from Centurion Races ... I have my finger nowhere near the NDW race button! I have, however, saved all my relevant ultra racing history in a word doc so I can transfer it over to my WHW Race entry - oh boy WHAT a complicated entry process!

02/11/2012 at 11:44

There you go Debra, how mine is setup. Its the velco wrist strap which made it for me - No more chafeing

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/337789/gallery/photo.jpg?width=350

Not sure about the duracell one - it has some pretty crap reviews. But for a couple of quid its worth a punt I suppose. I have got a beefy battery back which I charge my phone ipod and every other electrical thing I seem to be carrying  Not sure about the solar ones, especially as most of the next ultra seems to be under the cover of darkness. 

02/11/2012 at 12:02

Sure you can spend plenty of money on kit for running but in terms of performance I'm not convinced it will have a huge impact. If somebody runs a race quicker than me I doff my hat to them and put it down to them being a better runner over the distance.

In triathlons you obviously need a bike to compete so the person with the crap bike is at a huge disadvantage to the person with a good bike. At the sharp end of the field everybody is likely to have good bikes so the effect is minimal. Further down the field the mix of bikes becomes more apparent and the person with the crap bike is penalised. I did a duathlon a few years ago on a 20yr old mtb with nobbly tyres, an extreme example but having put in a good run it was so demoralising getting picked off by people with fancy bikes.

The same can be said of many other sports at the amateur level, but I can't think of any where the effect of kit can have such a huge impact and is prohibitively expensive. I've got plenty of respect for those who take part and love the idea of combining disciplines, but it's not for me.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.