wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

6,301 to 6,320 of 7,858 messages
02/11/2012 at 11:44

There you go Debra, how mine is setup. Its the velco wrist strap which made it for me - No more chafeing

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/337789/gallery/photo.jpg?width=350

Not sure about the duracell one - it has some pretty crap reviews. But for a couple of quid its worth a punt I suppose. I have got a beefy battery back which I charge my phone ipod and every other electrical thing I seem to be carrying  Not sure about the solar ones, especially as most of the next ultra seems to be under the cover of darkness. 

02/11/2012 at 12:02

Sure you can spend plenty of money on kit for running but in terms of performance I'm not convinced it will have a huge impact. If somebody runs a race quicker than me I doff my hat to them and put it down to them being a better runner over the distance.

In triathlons you obviously need a bike to compete so the person with the crap bike is at a huge disadvantage to the person with a good bike. At the sharp end of the field everybody is likely to have good bikes so the effect is minimal. Further down the field the mix of bikes becomes more apparent and the person with the crap bike is penalised. I did a duathlon a few years ago on a 20yr old mtb with nobbly tyres, an extreme example but having put in a good run it was so demoralising getting picked off by people with fancy bikes.

The same can be said of many other sports at the amateur level, but I can't think of any where the effect of kit can have such a huge impact and is prohibitively expensive. I've got plenty of respect for those who take part and love the idea of combining disciplines, but it's not for me.

WiB
02/11/2012 at 12:08

Good luck with the WHW entry CC... my ultra running history could be written on a post it

slankeuk - Quite a set up! but looks far too annoying to carry for me... what do you do with all the cable that is starting at your wrist?!

WiB
WiB
02/11/2012 at 12:14
shawk wrote (see)

Sure you can spend plenty of money on kit for running but in terms of performance I'm not convinced it will have a huge impact. If somebody runs a race quicker than me I doff my hat to them and put it down to them being a better runner over the distance.

In triathlons you obviously need a bike to compete so the person with the crap bike is at a huge disadvantage to the person with a good bike. At the sharp end of the field everybody is likely to have good bikes so the effect is minimal. Further down the field the mix of bikes becomes more apparent and the person with the crap bike is penalised. I did a duathlon a few years ago on a 20yr old mtb with nobbly tyres, an extreme example but having put in a good run it was so demoralising getting picked off by people with fancy bikes.

The same can be said of many other sports at the amateur level, but I can't think of any where the effect of kit can have such a huge impact and is prohibitively expensive. I've got plenty of respect for those who take part and love the idea of combining disciplines, but it's not for me.

I agree to an extent but it depends what you want to get out of it. The guys at the front will have the best and most even kit. Further down the field it comes down to how much you are willing to invest to make those gains, and I know you said it is an extreme point but a MTB on nobbly tyres on road is like me turning up to a road marathon wearing XC spikes! 

WiB
02/11/2012 at 12:25
WiB wrote (see)

Good luck with the WHW entry CC... my ultra running history could be written on a post it

slankeuk - Quite a set up! but looks far too annoying to carry for me... what do you do with all the cable that is starting at your wrist?!

As i said earlier, battery pack goes in ruck sack. Sometimes I wrap a bit of cable round the arm else most of it goes in rucksack. Needs to be long for manoevribility (incase I tumble ) but its no more awkward than wearing a watch!

02/11/2012 at 12:27

slaneuk: Thanks; I'll have to look for a decent little charger.

And I'm in for NDW50. With SDW50, NDW50 and Lakeland 50 lined up (okay, not entered SDW50 yet, but that's only 'cos entries are not yet open) I find myself wondering whether I can find two more 50-milers, to do 5 x 50 in 2013... Would have to be later in the year, I think, as I've entered Winter Tanners, am about to enter Pilgrims Way, and have the Lakeland recce weekend at the end of June...

Maybe Ladybower? - of course this all supposes that my legs are still working by then!

02/11/2012 at 12:28

I do agree but since that's where my opinion came from I thought it was mentioning. People who improve by dedicating time to something gain my respect, seeing people try to buy improvement by way of fancy gadgets and gear is a huge turn off.

My other main sport is snowboarding and it's soooo common to see enthusiastic newbies spend huge amounts on kit because they think it will make them better, where time on snow is the only true way to improve.

GKD
02/11/2012 at 12:29
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuBw39uCT4Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player

For those who still want to know how he two disciplines differ.
Didn't mean to start off a big debate about the relative merits of the two disciplines, though my point, though based in humour, was one I do believe.
For me ultra running is about freedom. Times mean nothing to me, I have what could be considered decent times for everything from 40 milers up but unless you know exactly what the trail was like on the day I did them then they really mean nothing at all, I don't run to beat anyone else (luckily) I run only to challenge myself and to enjoy the outdoors.
Some of my friends are tri athletes and I just can't get my head around how much work them put into the sport outside of the physical training, they seem to spend every waking moment not training weighing their meals, putting the results into graphs of different colours and downloading stuff to their garmins. I just can't be arsed
GKD
02/11/2012 at 12:37

Re triathlon, I have respect for people that can do them, particularly IM and longer (the training load for the Arch to Arc challenge is impressive - I was talking to Mark Bayliss about it at a club run recently). But I -enjoy- running. I don't really want to take time out from that to get my swimming and cycling up to par.

02/11/2012 at 12:41
Lirish wrote (see)
Some of my friends are tri athletes..... I just can't be arsed

However nutty people think I am for running these mediocre distances, I find cyclists on a whole different planet - they love their bikes more than anything else. And if you are not that way inclined, then you're going to struggle in Tri!

Reminds me of the Kirk sketch on SNL http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x930vt_william-shatner-snl-skit-get-a-life_fun

Just replace trekkies with cyclists and its a perfect fit :P

WiB
02/11/2012 at 12:43

Slaneuk - Fair enough... Sounds like it works fine then  Though about storing the pack and running the cable along the bag strap and mounting it on there? Sorry, I am just a neat freak when it comes to carrying kit!

shawk - Yes, I will respect someone who works hard rather than those looking for a shortcut solution. Much like I think more of someone who sets off in a race and really pushes themselves potentially DNFing over someone who cruises through. Then again, some people are just there for the ride so to speak and there is nothing wrong with that. It very much horses for courses.

Lirish - Spot on about times/results. I love the fact that a performance at many ultras is based around the course and conditions and not just times. At Caesars camp forexample the only time I knew of anything about the times was if I was told them at the end of the lap and the CR didnt even enter my mind until I was sat down after the finish and someone told me. I was most happy about finishing it running well and the fact I could have a brew!

Anyway, enough of serious stuff now from me... Anyone else out to play on the trails tonight in the mud with a lamp on their head?!

More importantly anyone entered for the NDW50 has to have a go on the rope swing at the stepping stones. The rulez are the rulez!

Edited: 02/11/2012 at 12:45
WiB
GKD
02/11/2012 at 12:47
I seem to remember someone promising to do that last year WiB?
GKD
WiB
02/11/2012 at 13:00

haha... yes and I wasn't the onyl person to forget! if I am there this year I promise to be the guinea pig and go first

WiB
02/11/2012 at 13:14

I have done the rope swing at the stepping stones - in the dark by headtorch, but it was about 25 years ago - eek!!

Lirish - yep, love your summing up of reasons for ultras, exactly what I feel, esp the bit about competitive with myself. Probs why I feel that if I want to have a bash at a tri, it'll be one that has to combine probably mountains/hill running and it'll be all about whether I can finish it, not where I am placed in it.

No running with headtorches in mud for me - darn cold is killing my lung capacity at the moment - 3 miles turned into half run/half power-walk this morning

02/11/2012 at 13:16

oh and the WHW entry, the word doc is only cos they want the event, the official finish time and the web address for each race ... not due to the volume I've completed!

02/11/2012 at 15:18

Oy! Us Tri's are delicate flowers you know, we can't help being cr*p at swimming, biking and running, but at least hiding behind all that lycra we feeeeel fast

02/11/2012 at 16:26

, OK, we'll go easy

02/11/2012 at 18:09
I'm in, I'm in, I'm in.

Sorry, it's Loula's fault
02/11/2012 at 18:32
WiB wrote (see)

haha... yes and I wasn't the onyl person to forget! if I am there this year I promise to be the guinea pig and go first

can i play toooooooooooooooo????? i wanted a go on the swingy fing other week but the water was about 70ft high

02/11/2012 at 18:32

.....and the rope wasnt there

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.