wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

6,321 to 6,340 of 8,313 messages
02/11/2012 at 18:37
NiceIronDad wrote (see)

Oy! Us Tri's are delicate flowers you know, we can't help being cr*p at swimming, biking and running, but at least hiding behind all that lycra we feeeeel fast

bless you are the exception NID, we love you

02/11/2012 at 19:47

Cragchick - Put my entry in for WHW yesterday, fingers crossed for both of us! I hope to see you there.

02/11/2012 at 20:57

Having done my first couple of Ultras and Triathlons way back in 1989,while serving  as a Army PTI ,Ive got to admit that nether appealed to me at the time.I got picked to do the Army Tri Championships,because i ran and swam for the Regiment,and i used to bike the 40 mile round trip to camp and back.It was the same for my first Ultra,Being used to doing 10/20 miles a day in my job meant i was a obvious choice to do a 4 day team event.IT took me 20 years to do another Tri,and 22 for an Ultra, as the saying goes [what goes around comes around ] Now i couldn't even think about Not doing either .Doing all 3 disciplines makes you a more versatile athlete.The accumulation of all 3 sports will give you a much bigger endurance and crossover base of fitness than one sport will .You get less injuries and you don't get bored of doing the same thing day after day. My aim is to combine both events in to one by hopefully doing the Double Enduroman in 2014 Which is a 4.8 mile swim, 232 miles bike and a 52 mile run with a cut of time of 43hrs .[anyone else care to join me]

02/11/2012 at 21:45

daytrekker...i'll get back to you on that one

WiB
02/11/2012 at 21:58

DT - Sounds awesome but I really hate swimming! I certainly wouldnt have fun training in the pool and the reason I do the events that I do is for fun... Will be very interested in how you do though so keep us up to date.

WiB
02/11/2012 at 22:24
Daytrekker, definitely agree with you on all those points about crossover of training and mixing stuff hill, might pass on Enduroman though! There is however a rather dab looking triathlon in my neck of the woods, which ends up with a marathon distance taking in Beinn Eighe which I love the look of. Bearing in mind I can only swim about 15m of front crawl, let alone in the open waters of a Scottish loch, I have some work to do ... Project 2014 ...
03/11/2012 at 10:25

i need armbands i think to get me through 4.8miles......tri/IM not for me ta

03/11/2012 at 17:32

3rd ultra nothched up today- Glenogle 33, which is slightly shorter than 33 miles, but over 50km. 6:07, and a good day! Felt good most of the way, got a bit weary after about 30 miles, but all good. Managed not to faff about at checkpoints as much as usual. I think I'm slowly learning how to do these races.

ONwards and upwards- probablt aiming for glasgow edin double marathon next spring.

04/11/2012 at 00:30

My garmin is superdooper and fandabidozy too If it could make the tea it would be the ultimate runners accessory, Lou.

BTW I saw the pic on facebook - the commentors havent seen the photo when taken from behind 

04/11/2012 at 08:10
slaneuk wrote (see)

BTW I saw the pic on facebook - the commentors havent seen the photo when taken from behind 

eh? whassis slaneuk? which pic on what?

07/11/2012 at 13:56

Training all messed up this week!

Missis NID is away, work++++ and two late work meetings, a disappointment after a good 50 mile week last week.... I think tonight will be a combination of a some bike turbo training and that 1980s step video again (!). How does everyone else handle crappy busy weeks? I'm mentally treating it as a lull after a training spike - which in theory should mean next week I bounce back stronger than ever!

07/11/2012 at 14:00

NID: absolutely - it's your drop-down week!

11/11/2012 at 07:29

had a great time at Druids, lotsa mud, lotsa hilly bits-would highly recommend XNRG events. well organised and lovely people.

11/11/2012 at 16:55

Well done Lou, very envious of all this running going on, my training is feeling very feeble at the moment - life just keeps getting in the way and it's so so so frustrating!!

11/11/2012 at 18:42

ahh but its the downs of life that makes us appreciate things more when they go right. I'm just going backwards this year in my training speedwise but there are some silver linings

11/11/2012 at 19:26

I know Slaneuk, but it's been one of those years ... I'm usually pretty optimistic but I can't wait for this one to be over!

11/11/2012 at 19:50

aw cragc-off to Anglesey with EL for us i reckon!!!

11/11/2012 at 20:17
2012 is a year I'm longIng to be over. Ive had rubbish runs; encountered spiteful and prissy people; and had very little to cheer about.

2013 is going to be better and I'm putting together a program to make sure I enjoy it a lot better. I don't know about the whole glass being half empty / full biz (apologies to Lou there) but I'm going to keep filling it :??
WiB
12/11/2012 at 09:26

Have you started your 2013 plans?

I enjoy planning out my races... although I normally get a bit carried away!

WiB
12/11/2012 at 09:40
Started them tho some are up in air till next year for obvious reasons. All will be clear in about two weeks clear I hope. I agree with you the planning is fun, the actual running is a bit of a bind
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.