wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

6,341 to 6,360 of 8,313 messages
12/11/2012 at 10:27
I'm thinking a summer break in the Swiss apps might be nice, has anyone done a race there, I've been looking at the Swiss alpine and mountain man events but not sure which would be better???
12/11/2012 at 10:47
Touie, alpine or man mountain..... which is better? Theres only one way to find out.........FIGHT!!!!!
12/11/2012 at 13:22

Well, now I know what the Mableside to Coniston stretch is like in the dark... Wonder if I can speed up enough to do it in daylight! (I wish) Only went wrong once, and managed to sort it out fairly quickly, but it knocked my confidence in following the directions for a while. Navigation training yesterday was useful; thinking about getting to one of their full weekend courses - if I can work out when to fit it in!

Borrowed a pair of Trailroc 235s from Lakes Runner for the recce and they were great - just a bit more underfoot protection than the VB Neo trail, and very good at sticking to the rocks. I was very good and washed them under the outside tap at the guest house by headtorch light before returning them the next day. They're going to have to get a pair in to sell to me (the problem of having small feet), so I've not got my own pair yet. Really glad I had the chance to "compare and contrast" between the Neo trail, Trailroc 235 and 245, so I know I want the 235.

12/11/2012 at 14:10

I'm doing my third marathon in December - I'm a back of the field 5hr plodder. I'd like to do an ultra in, or before, my 5oth birthday in a couple of years time. Any recommendations? And any comments on what marathon time I need to be running at in order to actually contemplate an ultra? thanks in advance!

12/11/2012 at 16:03

Hi Richard.Do you prefer road or trail; flat, undulating or hilly? How long an ultra do you want to do (e.g. 30 mile, 50K, 35 mile, 50 mile)? And where are you based? A runner in my club of a similar speed to you has decided to do the London Ultra 50K in February, because it hasn't got a time cut-off,so it doesn't matter if it takes you 6-7 hours or even longer. I'm sure some of the other people on here will be able to recommend other events.  

12/11/2012 at 17:42

ive had a pretty good 2012 regards running/ultra !! (ducks at risk of having something lobbed at me)...

12/11/2012 at 18:28

LB: me too! (quack).

14/11/2012 at 07:28

everyone keeping mileage up now the dark nights have hit?

14/11/2012 at 08:23
Thanks Debra, London looks perfect for a first ultra - maybe even next year. I'll see how I feel after the pompey marathon on December 23rd !
14/11/2012 at 10:23

Comes to something when I'm using marathons as a training run, though to the rest of the world its an excuse to do some Xmas shopping in Portsmouth

14/11/2012 at 12:26

Richard, you're welcome. Let me know if you want a couple of tips on the bits where the route marking could be better (it's mostly very good but there are a couple of places e.g. round Wimbledon Park which could be better).

Nice 12-miler yesterday. Aiming for a decent back-to-back this weekend.

14/11/2012 at 13:21

Thanks Debra, I will. 18 miles on Sunday, and a 3 mile recovery / tempo run last night, everything seems to be working ok so moving on to 20+ miles for the next three long runs before tapering ... we'll see...when I did the Pompey marathon last year the markers were slightly out so I did an extra few hundred yards anyway - does that make me an ultra runner already?

14/11/2012 at 13:44

Afraid not RW, theres always going to be a little discrepancy when running distances especially if you're not following the true racing line. A 1% difference is 461yds

WiB
14/11/2012 at 16:36

I have a shoe question... I fancy trying the NB MT10 or MT00. Anyone know somewhere that does these in 2E or 4E width. Looked online and can only find US sites!

WiB
14/11/2012 at 17:16

Sorry WiB, the only place I see these are on ebay when they sneak those sizes in for Asics. The only other suggestion is asking at Sweatshop - my local one in Clapham are pretty friendly, always willing to help and you get 10%off if you have a Parkrun barcode

WiB
14/11/2012 at 17:39

Cheers Slaneuk. I have been looking on ebay too... no luck yet Will happily try MT00 MT10 or MT110 if I can find some in a wider fit

WiB
14/11/2012 at 22:43

WiB, that's why I never got to try those - too narrow.

14/11/2012 at 23:10
I'm doing Pompey, good excuse to over-eat just after! Current thought is to do it as a 50k, doing 10k before the start. I know that sounds odd but I've never done that distance and I don't know any other handy 50k's happening just then!
WiB
15/11/2012 at 08:37
NID - could just keep running after the finish like Forrest Gump!

Debra - did you try the standard width ones? I have been told sizing up can make a difference. Found the MT110 for ??35 so may take a gamble and go up a size. Can always return them or eBay them!
WiB
15/11/2012 at 09:24

Dont know if its the same for shoes with no support, but its a no-no for support shoes.  Had some horrific problems with feet  which went on for years and it came down to wearing shoes that were too big for me. All to do with the support block being in the wrong place and stopping flexion in your feet

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.