wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

6,401 to 6,420 of 7,860 messages
19/11/2012 at 14:00

TBH I use elastic laces to give my feet some room when they swell up on the long runs. These trainers arent cheap at the best of times, so £35 sounds good value

19/11/2012 at 14:18

Best buy I have seen of late, assuming you don't mind 10mm heel drop, is the New Balance MT101's on Sportspursuit for £22.80 a pair.

19/11/2012 at 16:03
slaneuk wrote (see)

Ahhhh young padawan, so u iz

i iz indeed.

WIB! nooo shoooooooz? like them?

19/11/2012 at 16:04

i am climbing walls as i havnt run for a week!!!!!!!! cant cope cant cope...*paces in circles*....this must be longest ever i havnt run....maybe

19/11/2012 at 16:13

well if you pace a bit faster, you can call that your run!

19/11/2012 at 17:09

I know how you feel LLB - I last ran on Thurs and it will be Weds before I get out ... two INSET days at the mo, so that will be five days too.  I am buying a treadmill though!!  Looks like hubby is going to be long distant commuting for a fair while yet and the holidays just destroy me so whilst running outside, on trail is top of the list, no running is just noooooo good at all, so a treadmill is the solution.

I am now qualified to teach mat-based Pilates now though - have certificate and can work towards diploma

19/11/2012 at 17:37

cragchick: congratulations on the qualification and good luck in continuing to the diploma. A treadmill does sound sensible in the circumstances. I have one which I don't use as much as I did before I (a) joined a running club; (b) started doing longer distances, but it does have its good points. For example, enabling me to run when temperatures outside were several degrees below zero and the route from house to park was dangerously icy. Also, I can put it on its highest incline (12 degrees) and train in walking uphill, while reading. And it can be useful for speed sessions.

19/11/2012 at 17:43

cragc!!!!!!!! brill-well done!!!  i will pop up to you every monday night then for a pilates class.....will be a long journey so id better stay the week

i have a treadmill-great big huge massive black machine with cd player-amazing- 'cept the bloody thing doesnt work because it needs a new belt

19/11/2012 at 19:29

Oh that's a bu**er LLB, have been ummming and aaaaahing over which one and it's between a Branx one and a Maxima one - both same price .

you'd be very welcome to my 'small group, Realistic, pilates class' LLB

Debra - yup, if I was still able to get to running club and get out any other time than when the kids are at school then I'd not be bothering, but sadly my windows of social life are much reduced these days; even my babysitter has too much a social life to babysit for me any more!!!  And that was my thinking about the incline - was going to do just that, plus I'll be able to do the speed sessions I miss at club now. Means I can actually follow some kind of schedule.

And when our dire winter arrives (which the weather men are all predicting - ha ha) then I'll have an alternative to skating on ice ... even the beach froze the other year!

I've been wearing my NB Minimus and do love them although they are not quite as snug as I would like so are fine if the terrain is not too gnarly with too steep descents! Just wearing them for short bursts and walking around in them generally.

20/11/2012 at 08:47
This long distance lark is hard work, I'm halfway through a 50m training programme and am one big tired niggle!!! It all looked so easy on paper
20/11/2012 at 09:18

A schedule is a 'guide' Touie, balance between challenge and falling apart!! Don't be afraid to take extra time to recover from stuff and keep on top of the niggles - massage, x-training etc. Most people end up 'tweaking' their schedules, mine are one long compromise!!!

20/11/2012 at 09:45
Thanks, it's good to know its not just me! I think I've generally done more than the schedule anyway thanks to a couple of marathons, might just take it easy this week so that I can get through the weekend!!!
20/11/2012 at 10:38

Welldone CC or should I now say Sensei?! I've only gone to pilates once and at the end of the lesson she said she was giving up!
I'd give the treadmill a miss though - dont think there's enough pages on here for me to outpour what a disaster that "tool" is for running

Dont lose heart T2, its quite healthy to go back a step during training, regroup, then pitch onwards and upwards  - being a slave to the schedule has its own drawbacks at times.

20/11/2012 at 10:53
Thanks, I might compromise and walk this afternoon it's all time on the feet afterall
WiB
20/11/2012 at 12:56
loulabell wrote (see)
WIB! nooo shoooooooz? like them?

Seem ok so far Lou... I actually need to do some running in them though and got a bit of a sore knee at the moment so taking a couple days off.

WiB
20/11/2012 at 13:18

two very underused tools in our armoury are "rest" and "cross-training"

20/11/2012 at 13:48

both are good as it's so horrible outside maybe I should just put a film on and do core stability stuff

20/11/2012 at 14:06

cling film :P

20/11/2012 at 14:07

totally agree that rest and cross-training are greatly underestimated. Treadmills - well, as I've said, in my case it's a necessary evil - either that or not getting running in at all for huge chunks at a time. In a few more years (probs about another 3-4) then my kids won't need me to be there in quite the same way but they are definitely NOT old enough to be left to their own devices while I pop out for even a quick blast! Equally I am very aware of their limitations for sure!

Since I've done my pilates course, I am so much more aware of how my body works when running and am convinced that small adjustments are already banishing some of the niggles I was getting

20/11/2012 at 14:42

Wib, did you eventually get the Salomons dirty?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.