wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

6,441 to 6,460 of 8,313 messages
22/11/2012 at 13:10
I like to run a bath every now and again :P
22/11/2012 at 13:14

carterusm, I'm intending to do 5 x 50-mile races next year (and I'm following a schedule towards the first of those now), but I'm also running cross-country races for my club, did Beachy Head marathon a few weeks ago, a 10K a week before that, and run parkruns when I can (not as often as I'd like because I'm usually too busy organising my local parkrun).

I think it can be useful to run shorter races to remind yourself what running fast feels like and avoid "just plodding", but allow for the fact that you may not always be able to fit them in alongside high mileage weeks - or may risk injury while doing so, certainly while first building up the mileage (I dropped almost all speed work for a while when building to my first 50K).

22/11/2012 at 13:15

Thank you for your considered replies !

Let me make it simpler for you:

WiB - what races have you got planned for the next few months ?

slaneuk - what races have you got planned for the next few months ?

22/11/2012 at 13:22
Tbh I just do a marathon training program which has a speed session slotted in. The only thing I do different is throw in a few late night or very early morning runs to remind my body what it feels like
22/11/2012 at 13:56

I think you should run what races you think you will enjoy and will fit in with your life - simples!

So I am doing a 3km orienteering run on Sunday, a 10-mile road race in December for starters and then some ultras planned already for next year with random stuff that will likely crop up inbetween that is totally unplanned!

10 miles this morning after 7 yesterday ... and both my calfs are sore in different places - bit baffled really as they were totally fine yesterday and I wasn't doing some full-on pace, and nice trail to run on. Bu**er, was planning a 15 tomorrow - hmmmm, might be the mountain bike instead

Edited: 22/11/2012 at 13:57
WiB
22/11/2012 at 14:38

carterusm - I have a few races planned. Only a couple of focus races though... Rocky Raccoon in Feb and SDW 100 in June are my main races.

I would also like to win the race to the first gate at Country to Capital 45 which is quite competetive from what I hear. The remaining 44.9 miles of it I don't care about

WiB
22/11/2012 at 15:35
cragchick wrote (see)

maybe we could make our own up .... erm maybe that's sounding a bit like a ultra-distance wine-bar crawl!!

cragc!!!! lets do it!!! sounds fab

22/11/2012 at 18:58

If you want to run 3k do so.

If you want to run barefoot do so.

If you want to run on tarmac do so.

Basically run!

22/11/2012 at 19:03
carterusm wrote (see)

Me four. I think I will do at least 100 miles next year

Once you are an ultra runner would you generally only run ultra races ? Or would you still run 5k, 10k, HM and FM as well ?

i think ultra runners are a lot more relaxed about what the 'do'...as the others have said...we tend to do what we feel like and when...rather than conform to marathon schedules/hm schedules etc...do a bit of everything!!!!! .....just make sure theres the promise of food n drink at the end .....thats most important !

25/11/2012 at 15:57
"Relaxed about what we do" is good, as long as we remember to log our runs to help our struggling RW team out
25/11/2012 at 21:16

jason...is that a gentle reminder that i should get my a**e out the door and run some?

25/11/2012 at 21:48

A whole 2 miles of orienteering for me this morning. Really grim in rain and mist, 1 degree, but oh what fun leaping over tree trunks and through gorse, bracken and ditches.

25/11/2012 at 22:39
Thanks for the replies. I'm glad there will still be some variety in my running life, I didn't know if an ultra runner would be expected to focus on the longer stuff or not.
Cheers
25/11/2012 at 22:44
Lou- subtle, eh?
26/11/2012 at 07:44

jason , yes, very * pulls duvet over head*

26/11/2012 at 14:19
Ok, thanks for the comments. I have now signed up for a couple more halfs (liversedge and Sheffield), a couple of full marathons (manchester and lake coniston) and a couple of off road races including the grindleford gallop. That should keep me busy !
26/11/2012 at 16:53

carteurusm. Sounds good. Do remember to give yourself time to recover after a race. Also, you may want to prioritise - which ones are your "big" races and which are your ones to enjoy or treat as training runs on the way to other races (e.g. Croydon 30 was a training run five weeks before NDW50, for me this year).

29/11/2012 at 14:35

i cant believe ive not been on here for 3 days and NOBODY else has posted

WiB
29/11/2012 at 14:55

Shhh Lou.. it's quiet time

WiB
29/11/2012 at 15:03

Well some of us are trying to catch up on our sleep from the w/e you know  

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.