wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

6,501 to 6,520 of 8,177 messages
04/12/2012 at 18:38

Hi Eldred: I go for Montane jackets - the Featherlite Marathon jacket (windproof) and the Minimus waterproof - lightweight and packs down very small.

I'm wearing minimalist footwear as well - mostly Vivobarefoot Neo and, for offroad, Neo Trail, but I've ordered a pair of Inov8 Trailroc 235s ready for Lakeland 50 (waiting for the store to get them in).

Headlamps - there are one or two (!) threads on those in the Gear section... Alpkit Gamma is arguably the best value for money (£15) and you'll have to pay a fair amount more for a brighter one. Although Aldi presently has a really bright little Cree LED torch (not headtorch, however) in for £12.

WiB
04/12/2012 at 18:45

I thought so Touie. I am excited for that race already!

WiB
04/12/2012 at 18:57

WIB do not mentioned any races, in fact do not mention running!

WiB
04/12/2012 at 19:14

WiB
WiB
04/12/2012 at 19:15

*Whispers* I am off for a run.

WiB
04/12/2012 at 19:59

@Debra

Thank you =) I din know there's a gear section here.

Joining my first race in UK myself since arriving in UK for my postgrad studies, and it will be an ultra xD. 

I afraid after I finished the Ultra I will get addicted to this crazy distance running.. I will prepare for London Triathlon during July and maybe another Ultra before I leave UK at September when my term ends

04/12/2012 at 20:36

spen, wasnt it you who did the head torch thing?????

04/12/2012 at 20:38

yes, we musnt mention rolls of honour or how many medals we have *shushes everyone*

i try to keep track of things..but i  go off on a tangent a lot .....anyone see where i left those custard creams?...........*wanders off to look *

04/12/2012 at 21:37
http://www.irunfar.com/2007/10/training-for-your-first-ultra.html

I loved this article, made me feel like i might make the fifty miles in feb after all... What do you think??
04/12/2012 at 21:38

LLB WILL you behave, I'm going to have to find you a big wooden spoon for all that stirring!!

I don't have an Alpkit one but I know one of the ladies on another thread I chatter in has one, she lives in Shetland and so does LOTS of running in the dark.  I just nick my husbands one which is a Petzl something (was about £40).

They usually say if waterproof needs to have hood, taped seams etc, I guess a quick email to the organiser would solve that problem?

I can imagine that training in the UK in winter is a far cry from what you are used to, especially as you seem to be have monsoon-type weather (albeit cold) down there?

I THINK there was a thread started last year - not sure who started it - Ben? or maybe you LLB? about what we wanted to put on our Christmas lists - not sure if it was before or after this thread started?  Anyway, am sure that had lots of kit discussion too. Lovely lovely kit

Edited: 04/12/2012 at 21:39
04/12/2012 at 21:43

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/ultra-/-adventure-racing/the-ultra-runners-tool-kit/183953.html

this was it, if the link works, so not Christmas Presents, but the ultra runners tool kit by Ben

04/12/2012 at 21:55
I like kit as much as shoes

Talking headlamps I have an alpkit gamma I thought it was good until the person I run with started strapping a 1000 odd lumen bike lamp to his head and now running with my gamma is like running in the dark!!! I want the silva runner 550 lumen lamp but can't justify it!!!
04/12/2012 at 22:30

Yes it was me who started the thread on headlamps BUT it was not about running as such!

05/12/2012 at 00:35

gears are good, however it's easy to get obssessed that you buy more than you required as well.

I'm using an Osprey daypack bag with bladder inside, I guess it get a bit uncomfortable previously when I run with running vest, get real bad chaffing as if I've been abused by someone on my back. hmm getting another better fit backpack just for a 50miles event seems to be overkill...

On nutrition part, I have never eat gels unless it's given free by some race organisers. I usually just bring real food like bread or choc for my previous race. I find gels not responding to my body. Doesn't upset my stomach either

05/12/2012 at 00:43

One of you should try to run the ultra in Malaysia, it gets like 35+??C in the day and drops to below 10??C in the night.

It's the only ultra in Malaysia - in borneo Island and the place I was borned
 The most beautiful thing - http://www.sabahadventurechallenge.com/ultra/

My mom said she is interested to do it with me in 2014

05/12/2012 at 07:34

eldred, those temperatures sound perfect for me to run in !! i run best in heat so Maylasia would be perfect!

cragc stirring it? MOI???, i have a childrens waterproof coat and that has taped seams so they neednt be expensive, i think its Regatta make.  talking about trekking poles , miss LLB wants some from santa!! every time we go in Cotswold outdoor(which is quite a lot i suppose) she asks for them and proceeds to keep crossing the little wooden bridge in the shoe section ...hmmm maybe i could get some for her..and then 'borrow' them

WiB
05/12/2012 at 08:42
Poles?! This is not walkers world LLB!!!
WiB
GKD
05/12/2012 at 08:45
I'll remind you of this post if you get into the UTMB next year WiB
GKD
05/12/2012 at 08:47

I love my headtorch, best value piece of kit I've ever bought, 9 bright leds and I can safetypin them onto a beanie. And readily available from Poundland for the princely sum of a quid. Easily as bright as some of the 30-40 quid ones out there

I'm not sure if we want to know what you are getting from Santa and his big red sack this year - kids read these forums you know However, my daughter has outgrown her Barbie with the ski set accessories. The poles might be a bit big  for yer but could do the job :P

WiB
05/12/2012 at 09:50
Lirish wrote (see)
I'll remind you of this post if you get into the UTMB next year WiB

No problem

WiB
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.