wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

6,521 to 6,540 of 8,179 messages
05/12/2012 at 12:06
Eldred Lee wrote (see)

One of you should try to run the ultra in Malaysia, it gets like 35+??C in the day and drops to below 10??C in the night.

It's the only ultra in Malaysia - in borneo Island and the place I was borned
 The most beautiful thing - http://www.sabahadventurechallenge.com/ultra/

My mom said she is interested to do it with me in 2014

Eldred, maraton terlihat sangat baik, saya telah berjalan di Indonesia tetapi tidak Malaysia.

Thats me tapped out, ony know a smattering of bahasa Indonesia and most of that is around ordering food and beer! It's the humidity that gets me over the heat. 

Definitely on my bucket list.

WiB
05/12/2012 at 12:44

Alistair, sangat mengesankan. Saya tidak akan berbohong, ini dilakukan dengan menggunakan google!

WiB
05/12/2012 at 13:17

WIB - Saya tidak mengguanakan tapi Google mengguanakan istri saya yang Indonesian.

I didn't use google but did consult my wife who is Indonesian. The above though is all my own work, which most likely means I have insulted both google and my wife and will most likely get sued by one and divorced by the other! I lived in Bali for a couple of years, given that my knowledge is actually shameful.

05/12/2012 at 13:19

You need to shift that over to the report card thread, under foreign languages! Your Klingon is shocking

05/12/2012 at 13:21

BTW CC, I thought you didnt stir with wooden spoons up there, but used spurtles!!

05/12/2012 at 13:22

@WiB @Alistair

unfortunately there's some differences in Bahasa Indonesia and Malaysia, although understanding each other wont be too major problem

@loulabell

You should try it, it's really beautiful as well =), offcourse I am bias being borned in that place xD

05/12/2012 at 13:26

It's annoying, i forgot that it will snow here, and it's impossible to run in the snow..

Canterbury snowed today

05/12/2012 at 14:00

ah they do Slaneuk, but I'm born and bred English so some things just won't change!!

Leki poles - the swear word of ultra-running ... unless you do things like the UTMB, or like to go running in places requiring river crossings. I can remember when they first appeared in the UK and even the hill walkers thought they were something most evil, they are fab for mountain walking (especially in winter with snow or with big packs) and boy do your arms know about it too!

No idea about Indonesian or any other oriental language! Although I did spend four days in Malaysia 9 years ago when i was leader of a group of Explorer Scouts taking part in the World Scout Jamboree (which was in Thailand). Sadly I didn't see much of Malaysia as I was at the British Embassy trying to get a new passport to get home after my host kindly washed mine with my clothes!!

05/12/2012 at 14:01

Dry powdery snow is lovely to run in, wet slush is not. It seems to be snowing around our little pocket of the Moray Firth - plenty on the hills though, hoping to ski at the weekend

WiB
05/12/2012 at 14:05

Snow is great for running in!

I joke about poles CC, I am sure there are benefits to them, otherwise people would not use them! Not for me though.

WiB
05/12/2012 at 14:11

soft fluffy maybe yes, hard and slippery ones.. nono

WiB
05/12/2012 at 14:12

Its all good... part of the fun

WiB
05/12/2012 at 14:27

They did a great job on my garden wall, WiB so you wont find me joking about them

WiB
05/12/2012 at 16:44
[double post]
Edited: 05/12/2012 at 17:16
WiB
05/12/2012 at 18:13

Any thoughts on how to combine ultra training with marathon training? I've entered a 45 miler with a friend who is set on a sub-3 hour marathon plan.

WiB
05/12/2012 at 18:38

Do the plan but run longer for your long runs or back to back them i.e 20/20 25/15.

WiB
05/12/2012 at 18:43

... and make sure your easy runs really ARE easy, same goes for the long runs too (except the ones including XX miles at MP). 

05/12/2012 at 19:01

How do you run in zone 1, trying to build up my endurance.. hmm running around 130~ 146ish HR, I tried last week to run around zone 2 which is fairly easy, zone 1 would means lotsa walking..

05/12/2012 at 20:39

slaneuk, i will take the Barbie ones please-any spare clothes too ?

05/12/2012 at 21:44

I wouldn't force the pace Eldred, whilst walking is often an inevitable part of ultras, and essential for most to complete the longer distance ones, it's not the main thing. I confess I don't use HRM for training but just run to feel. On the proper long runs I make a point of power-walking all the big inclines and just easy running everything else.  It will be SLOW though. When I moved from marathon training to ultra training it felt painfully slow, not so much these days, or maybe that's just age!!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.