wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

6,541 to 6,560 of 8,295 messages
06/12/2012 at 11:18

Not sure about the iced gems, bit hard in the old mouth after a few miles

Always go on instinct, as its the journey not the destination that gets you there.

WiB
06/12/2012 at 12:58

NID - You don't go out and hobble round then 2nd day! You run both days. If 26 miles is leaving you unable to run well the next day then you wont get any noticable benefit as it will likely lead to longer recovery needed or injury, don't do it yet and build up to it if you want to do it.

I have no problems going out and running 30/20 weekends when I need to but I wouldn't do the day 2 if day 1 was leaving me at a struggle.

WiB
06/12/2012 at 14:32

Agree - definitely don't HOBBLE round anything, you need to be able to maintain good running form whatever distance in theory or you increase injury risk. I'd definitely go with instinct.  Sometimes I do back-2-backs, like Sunday I did 15 and Monday 10, other times I don't - I really do go with what my body says to me.  Most the time I'm just delighted if I've found time to fit in a 20+ mile run, let alone get out again the next day

I like the 'journey being the destination' concept Slaneuk

06/12/2012 at 15:25

Ta, I am delighted, and I agree with the Journey thing, it was a great run (until it got dusky and cold at the end), high point the nice sunny (if cold) view from the top of Devil's Punchbowl. Surprisingly I'm not actually hobbling - I just managed a 500m run to the supermarket and back to grab lunch and wanted to just keep running, but I think early sleeps and run tomorrow will suit these legs better!

06/12/2012 at 19:20

just entered my first ultra, but not that ultra in the scheme of things .... the TransPennine Challenge - 50km from Manchester to Penistone - next June in the lovely warm sunshine (he say optimistically).

should be a good route I would think and a big challenge for me.

06/12/2012 at 22:11

Ah, the Devils Punchbowl is a lovely place, along with Waggoners Wells, have run, walked and biked to, from and round the Devils Punchbowl!!

Welcome Wiganer - you will find lots of useful info and support, and also lots of useless banter on here so be prepared!!

06/12/2012 at 22:24
"Not that ultra" eh Wiggy. Sounds pretty good to me. And I bet deep down you're really looking forward to the finish already.
06/12/2012 at 22:28

Sounds a tad hilly to me Wiganer! Sounds fun though!

Cragchick - was that before the tunnel or after? Its amazing now the tunnel is in, transformed the place

06/12/2012 at 23:25

Is there any good ultras towards august before oct? prefer something in the north, not some super distance but some interesting terrain (hilly?). Would want to run an unforgettable ultra before I go back to Malaysia. 

06/12/2012 at 23:30
Not the North, but the Ridgeway Challenge is a classic that's worth doing
07/12/2012 at 00:07

hmm.. 137k.. in august.. that sounds something rather crazy.. but the course sounds like a lot of fun

07/12/2012 at 00:22

That's actually 1 month of London Triathlon, I dont think possible to train 2 totally different event in 1 month apart.

07/12/2012 at 07:59

hello Wiganer!! if it says its an ultra-then its an ultra!! dont underestimate the distance!!  you are oe after my own heart-anything run i hot sunshine is my kinda thing hope you find lots of chat on here helpful-we do try, although there are some very UN sensible people on here at times...cant think WHO they are...ahem

WiB
07/12/2012 at 08:52

Eldred Lee get youself on the Lakeland 50 wait list! 50 miles in the lake district. Awesome! Last weekend of July.

WiB
07/12/2012 at 10:40

Not sure about that whole Lakeland thingie - sounds like a hotbed full of Mozzies and Midges

07/12/2012 at 10:47
cragchick wrote (see)

When I moved from marathon training to ultra training it felt painfully slow, not so much these days, or maybe that's just age!!

Cragchick - how different was your marathon training to your ultra 50 mile training ? What did you do differently ? Looking at some ultra training plans there doesnt appear to be much, if any, speedwork and, of course, the longer runs are longer. 

WiB
07/12/2012 at 11:36

slaneuk - Couldn't be more wrong. It's a fantastic race on a great course.

WiB
07/12/2012 at 11:49
What?!?! Have they been spraying Agent Orange to remove the bloodsuckers?
WiB
07/12/2012 at 12:01

When did you do the race?

WiB
07/12/2012 at 12:04

Who me...nah, never said I did. I was picking up on Lake District location. Long memories of anti-repellant smells and still they come a feasting! 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.