wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

6,561 to 6,580 of 7,890 messages
WiB
07/12/2012 at 12:01

When did you do the race?

WiB
07/12/2012 at 12:04

Who me...nah, never said I did. I was picking up on Lake District location. Long memories of anti-repellant smells and still they come a feasting! 

WiB
07/12/2012 at 12:08

You have strange memories of the place... Ah well. Who cares.

As for the race which is what the original advice for Eldred Lee was on, it is well worth doing if you are lucky to get in off of the wait list now.

WiB
07/12/2012 at 12:10

Happens on the same w\e as the TR24. Now, that was a fun event - 'itching' to do that again next year

WiB
07/12/2012 at 12:14

Have fun. It sounds more suited to you.

WiB
07/12/2012 at 12:15

Does it? Why is that?

07/12/2012 at 15:12

Just a thought for Eldred... I've temporarily ditched Tri training (apart from the odd swim) whilst trying to nail this Ultra thing, I think its really difficult to do both unless you have loads of time, although considering my ultra career so far comprises one DNS I may be completely wrong

07/12/2012 at 16:05

Carterusm: I built up my long runs much like for marathon, tbh for my 50-miler my longest run was no more that 24 miles, I tried to run something the next day, no specific distance but just to get that tired legs feeling. When time allowed I tried to fit in a speed session OR a hill session, sometimes my speed session was a speedier 'round town' run with my running club rather than a specific reps session. If I am doing a shorter 'long' run - say 15 miles then I try and make that a bit speedier than the plod I use for say a 20+ miler.  I also discovered that running my long runs at a proper slow plod was much less debilitating than doing it faster so I could then get more training in. This year I suffered a lot with some unresolved asthma issues and my paces for everything reflected this and I was slower overall in the three ultras I did than I would have hoped, having struggled with pace in training runs. I'm hoping next year that I'll be on the case with that.  So I DO think speed has it's place, as does hill work but it's a balance between that and getting the extra distance in.  I am focussing more on hills now as I find that if my quads get trashed in a race then that will slow me down.  Ultra training schedules are massively variable compared to marathon schedules and people often follow a compilation of things and come up with their own!!

God I hope that makes any kind of sense, brain a bit pickled day!!

07/12/2012 at 16:06

NID - I agree about the training, getting ANY kind of training in is a struggle. I have plenty of DNS races this year, thankfully they were just shorter ones and not the ultras I had planned to do. For me, family life just is too much to juggle sometimes and something has to give, and of course, it's not going to be family.

07/12/2012 at 16:07

Midges - I have been midged in Lakes and North Wales but I think the Scottish midges are probably the worst May-November this year!!

07/12/2012 at 18:33

cragc, i know exactly what you mean, i have to let the shorter ones go, and the sshorter training runs too. i hope i will make it winter tanners but i may be in middle of moving , goodness kows what else lol

07/12/2012 at 19:14

LLB - one of these days we WILL meet on a race, I'd love to run with you, although how we'd get a word in edgeways I have no idea!!  Hope the moving plans go OK - eek!!

07/12/2012 at 23:17

23:04 HRS just trying to decide between stopping up for a few more beers which would mean dropping a good long run in the morning, picked up my BlackBerry to see if it needed charging email message confirming my West Highland Way place ya beauty!! Beer back in fridge bed and long morning run here I come, instant motivation!

08/12/2012 at 00:18

Alistair - hey, congratulations. Good luck on that long morning run.

Meanwhile I had a sports massage this evening, so of course my calf presently feels worse - he really had to dig deep to get at the muscle that's injured (tibialis posterior), which I knew he would have to do. Already feeling better than in the hour or so after the treatment. Will rest tomorrow and hope to be running on Sunday and then increasing back to proper mileage over the coming week.

08/12/2012 at 09:57

Thats what Ive had/got Debra,

WiB
08/12/2012 at 11:20

Brilliant Alistair! Really interested to hear about that one.

CC didn't you put in for it as well? Have you got good news too?!

WiB
08/12/2012 at 12:09

spen: sympathies. How long has yours been a problem? Any specific treatment recommendations? I'm not even really sure what I did to upset mine, and I really need to get back to some decent long runs ready for Winter Tanners (30) 20th January and Thames Trot 50 two weeks later.

08/12/2012 at 13:26
DB, just realised the winter tanners is a week after the country2capital. That's going to be a busy week for moi! Hoping Santa brings a decent winter coat this year
08/12/2012 at 18:13

Had it a couple of months.  Tend to go after rest and then comes back as soon as I run.   THink it is more likely to be the tendon.

08/12/2012 at 19:02

Ugg! (Regarding the time.)

I thought I had a stress reaction on the medial malleolus (ankle bone) initially, because that's where the pain was. Once I realised it was pain in the tendon and the muscle was tender I started getting some massage. Of course with it being such a deep muscle, getting it massaged isn't easy or comfortable.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.