wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

6,581 to 6,600 of 8,177 messages
08/12/2012 at 23:11

Yes, I am in WHW race too - guess I had better 'fess up to husband now

I seem to be getting varying niggles in calf/ankle etc - seems to be a different one each week at the mo ... lots of rollering and self-administered deep massage to offending areas along with anti-inflammatory gel and ruta grav cream seem to be keeping me out training. This weeks niggle was icy patches while running in the forest I think ...

WiB
08/12/2012 at 23:17

Awesome stuff CC! Fling is a nice little warm up then

WiB
09/12/2012 at 07:09

Well in CC, see you on the start line. A few of the household 'round-to-its' for brownie points and i'll be in the spousal confessional booth later too!

09/12/2012 at 07:16
Oh dear I had a bad day at Dorset yesterday, I could make lots of excuses but in the end I was shit!!! 27 miles in 8 hours and got pulled off the course
09/12/2012 at 08:39

Touie2 - Perhaps a day to be measured in effort not distance 8 hours out there is tough going.

09/12/2012 at 09:13
It was a tough day at Dorset yesterday, I think I walked more than I ran and clocked 29+ miles for the marathon but the weather and the stunning views made up for it!!
09/12/2012 at 09:13
Yes it was a good training run and even though I was stupidly slow I enjoyed most of it and have no sore bits after!

Just disappointed I didn't finish the ultra, I think I'm going to have to go back next year with a few more hill reps under my belt and hopefully no illness!!!
09/12/2012 at 13:15
Can appreciate the disappointment, but the key is how you feel the day after. If you still have the desire, then it hasn't broken you and it will make you stronger.
11/12/2012 at 21:28

BOO!

11/12/2012 at 21:32
Argh you scared me!!!
11/12/2012 at 22:03

Been a bit quiet on here for last few days ...

Never mentioned your effort on the Dorset Coastal Path - that is a HARD place to run (have spent many weekends down there when we lived in Surrey). One of my friends did the half-marathon distance the other year, he runs regularly on trail etc and does marathons and the race was an enormous shock for him, he finished waaaaay slower than anticipated but he DID enjoy it. Sometimes it's easy to underestimate terrain at the South end of the country - as I like to remind my fellow runners up here who are quite scathing of anything south of the border!

NID asked me if was at the Punchbowl since the tunnel was opened, sadly no, think it was just after we moved North. Must be really strange now!

11/12/2012 at 22:09

thanks everyone keeps saying well done but I think I was rubbish! I wasn't really struggling was just messing about and not keeping an eye on the time, they never mentioned cut offs at the beginning  Still I did enjoy myself and will be back next year with a few more hill or step reps if i can find some suitable, hopefully no illness and my eyes on my watch a bit more, would probably help to look at the course route too   there's no excuse for 30 min/ miles down south and I had a few  

Edited: 11/12/2012 at 22:10
11/12/2012 at 22:33

How things change: I was just looking through my running diary from 2011 and found, in January, the 6.5 mile LSR as part of training for a HM in April...

18/12/2012 at 17:56
You lot are a nightmare. I go away for a week and no exciting news on here whatsoever whn I get back!!! Tut. Debs yes I agree , this time last year I was just on my longest train run at tht point of 22 miles-furthest I'd ever run! Now look at us all! Well done us!
18/12/2012 at 18:16

Hello all, hope you don't mind me joining this thread! Never done an ultra, but have 7 marathons behind me so decided it may be time to up the distance. As I am 50 next year I wanted to celebrate by maybe doing 50K - but does that count as an ultra or do I have to do 50 miles? I sort of think it makes sense to up the distance slowly! And I want it to be a "50". Your thoughts on how you made the jump would be most welcome, thanks!

18/12/2012 at 18:58

Hi Moggie, and welcome! Yes, 50K counts as an ultra - anything over 26.2 miles is an ultra. I did a 50K for my first (actually before my first marathon). You shouldfind it quite an easy jump up - just slow down a bit. For training, either just extend your marathon training to longer distances or go look at e.g. http://www.trailrunevents.com/ul/schedule-50k.asp

Celebrating reaching 50 by running a 50 makes perfect sense to me!

Look at http://www.ultramarathonrunning.com/races/uk.html for a pretty comprehensive list of events available for next year, then choose depending on your location, date, terrain etc. There are several 50Ks around.

Good luck, and enjoy!

18/12/2012 at 19:55

Hi Debra, thanks for that informative and encouraging reply! I will certainly check out those links. I am tending towards the trans-pennine 50K in June right now as I tend to run mostly off-road so it would suit my training. I could always stick in a 50mile at the end of the year!

18/12/2012 at 20:29

I would aim for a 50 miler, you're obviously fit so you should make that no problem. Choose somewhere you want to run and I'm sure there will be a race around that distance at some point for you to go after. In terms of routes, 50 miles opens up a lot more options.

18/12/2012 at 20:57

Thanks Shawk, now I am wavering 50K/50M/50K/50M?? I did my last marathon last month and if I am honest could I have managed another slow 5M at the end? - I guess I would have done it. So maybe 50K isn't a big enough challenge for the big 50 year celebration. 50M just seems so far, but I remember thinking there was no way I could do a marathon after my first half - so we are all made of sterner stuff than we know. Something to think about....

18/12/2012 at 21:05

Once you slow the pace down it's amazing how far you can just keep plodding on for.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.