wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

6,581 to 6,600 of 7,872 messages
WiB
06/03/2013 at 16:59
Not me... I am a shorts man myself.
WiB
06/03/2013 at 17:02

i will never EVER wear a skort.

WiB
06/03/2013 at 17:22
Me neither! I think Anna frost looks wonderful in one though!
WiB
06/03/2013 at 17:25

shes a big girl!

GKD
06/03/2013 at 17:26
Hmm, Anna Frost in a skort.....
GKD
06/03/2013 at 17:27

i wills stick to my shorts ta...or less if it gets warmer

GKD
06/03/2013 at 17:28
Photos or it didn't happen
GKD
06/03/2013 at 17:34

in fact i have my 'sunnyweather' outfit and it does have less material than last year

06/03/2013 at 19:19

cragc, i bet it looks fab on you...im just not really a 'skort' runner girl

06/03/2013 at 20:17
WiB wrote (see)
Me neither! I think Anna frost looks wonderful in one though!

WIB - On this we most certainly agree!

WiB
06/03/2013 at 20:47
CC - Plenty of support for the skort by the looks of it!
WiB
07/03/2013 at 07:43

hotpants or bikini for me - sticking to that

07/03/2013 at 10:03

So, after completing two marathons PB 4:00:57 (one road, one trail) 5 half marathons and a number of smaller distances I have come to the conclusion I am probably more suited to the longer distances (I seem to get to the point that once I’m in my stride I could keep running for miles). I’m now onto thinking I would like to try an Ultra. I am looking to run another marathon in preparation and then plump for an Ultra.

I have a few questions and am hoping someone will be able to answer at least some of my daft questions?

How much harder is it stepping up from marathon training to Ultra Training (thinking more physically draining as I can’t afford to be completely wiped out all Sunday afternoon)?

• What are the best races to start with? I am in the South/South West and am well aware of the different distances to choose from.
  • Has anyone got any true/horror stories so that I get a realistic view of how it feels going passed the 26.2?

Thanks for your help!

WiB
07/03/2013 at 10:09

The training is very similar to marathon training but your run longs are typically longer and back to back if you find that works. There has been plenty of discussion on this thread and in the forum in general on this subject, it should be pretty simpel to find.

There are loads of races. Centurion races are fantastic in the South, although they are pretty full. There is also the Endurancelife Coastal Series or their Classic quater. There are some other races from companies like Go Beyond which are fun too. All reasonable distances. Check out http://ultramarathonrunning.com/races/uk.html for race listings and take your pick.

No horror stories from me, each race has a measure of discomfort at times but I have enjoyed them all.

WiB
GKD
07/03/2013 at 11:15
I'm a little confused here, I'm not sure what to do when a wannabe ultra runner posts on the wannabe ultra runner thread
Anyway Jiminey, welcome. As WiB says increase the length of the long runs, throw in a decent long mid week run when you can, tailor your running to the race you're targeting and train on that terrain if possible, try to think of your weekend runs as time on feet rather than just miles covered, say to yourself I'm heading out for 4/5/6 hours rather than just having a mileage goal in mind.
Practise refuelling on the move and see what works for you, everyone is different and needs different things to function, try and work out what you like and what sustains you
GKD
07/03/2013 at 12:19

Some people prefer back to backs to doing the really long runs.   Depends on what suits your lifestyle too.   Very difficult for me to get out for 5 or 6 hours at once, so do 7 or 8 over the two.

07/03/2013 at 15:01

hi Jiminey, hope you find helpful hints here.

agree with the time on feet  , but heading out for 5,6,7 hours can be tough , depends how your head deals with mileage/hours etc. personally i cant just head out and run for X hours, i have to set a mileage to aim for but everyone is different.

also, as we all say, use the long runs to try and test out kit,food,hydration etc so there are no worries on the day

07/03/2013 at 15:06

Loulabell, Spen71, Lirish and WiB thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. It has given me something to go-on. Hopefully I will be back to tell you about my sucesses and epic fails (but definately lurking).

07/03/2013 at 16:20

no probs, but  dont lurk ! join in! we regularly talk about other drivel too ( well the boys do , i stick to the job in hand)

which ultra are you going to go for?

as for horror stories-i have none. all have been enjoyable and ive learnt more each time

07/03/2013 at 16:42

Lirish, my PM isnt working but yes, i will

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.