wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

6,641 to 6,660 of 7,872 messages
08/03/2013 at 07:38

WiB you are fastest so you will have to Journet.

Pudge    pirate
08/03/2013 at 08:09
loulabell wrote (see)

when is your ultra youve entered?

Loula - it's on 22nd June.  However, it's in the pennines, so good weather is not a given!

Lirish wrote (see)
Pudge it depends on several things, how you like to carry your hydration, how much space you're likely to need for your type of event and what type of pack you like I.e vest type like the new salmon packs or traditional ones like OMM or raid light ones.
Have a good think about the answers to those questions and come back to us

Thanks Lirish - I've haven't actually thought about how I would PREFER to carry my water.  Until now, I've just kind of accepted that it's slung around my waist, as all I've used up to now is the Camelback waistpack I mentioned earlier.  I do use a Camelback backpack for mountain biking, but I can't imagine using it for running, as I reckon I'd find it way too restrictive (although it's not running specific, and is quite bulky, whereas a running version would possibly feel different).

I kind of 'get' the idea of the vest type hydration packs.  The ones I've seen have two bottles mounted on the chest, though I can't help thinking that it'd be like running with boobs jiggling up and down up front?!

Anyway, I'll try a few on for size next time I'm in Cotswolds Outdoors, and see what's what.

loulabell wrote (see)

thats why i said maybe have 2? smaller for summer -less crap, sprry less kit. and a bigger 10L for winter...?

I already have a running shoe and bike fetish Loula - I don't want to go down the path of having a 'bag for every occasion' too!!

08/03/2013 at 08:15

Ive got three bags so far.....

Pudge    pirate
08/03/2013 at 08:17
spen71 wrote (see)

And still not found the one for all occasions presumably?

08/03/2013 at 08:31

No.   Its becoming an obbsession

Pudge    pirate
08/03/2013 at 09:51
loulabell wrote (see)

we do ocassionally manage to talk about running Pudge, in between cake , rucksacks,bikinis,and general whining

As far as cake is concerned, homemade parkin is where it's at.  I'm talking the proper, sticky Yorkshire stuff.  I'm baking a cake a week at the moment, and as far I see, the more running and biking I do, the more cake I can scoff!!

spen71 wrote (see)

No.   Its becoming an obbsession

Hmm, doesn't bode well for someone like me with an addictive personality then!

08/03/2013 at 10:31
5 bags and a few waist packs here and still not content!!!

Still no running for me but I did manage spinning and cross trainer yesterday so hoping that will keep my fitness up!!!
GKD
08/03/2013 at 14:11
Pudge I have something like four packs is use reasonably regularly depending on what I'm doing, handhelds only for anything less that four hours on local trails. By how you carry hydration I meant do you like in pack bladders, if so how do you access them, do you want to carry bottles, if so where? I.e on the straps in front, in hand or with the Nathan packs in small pockets behind
GKD
08/03/2013 at 14:31
Pudge wrote (see)
spen71 wrote (see)

And still not found the one for all occasions presumably?

pudge, then if you get the bags you have to get more shooz ..to match

08/03/2013 at 14:33

for a girl ive done pretty well with the 'backpack' choosing. one 10l for winter and all the clothes crap, Nathan vest for hot weather.

08/03/2013 at 14:36
Lirish wrote (see)if so how do you access them, do you want to carry bottles, if so where? I.e on the straps in front, in hand or with the Nathan packs in small pockets behind

thats a good point, i like bladder and dont mind a handheld except i think i dont have the right one for me yet. i like handheld when hot as it encourages me to drink more  but over a long way it made my arm/hand ache on NDW... precious energy sapped with a tired arm that kept making me swap hands...but the lovely WIB has suggested salomon soft bottles so i will try that.

Pudge    pirate
08/03/2013 at 14:36

Oh I see.  I'm not actually too fussed either way as to whether water is in a bladder or in bottles.  I can see the +'s and -'s of each.  

The waistpack I'm using at the mo is a bladder system, which is quite easy to use.  The only problem is making sure it's cleaned and throughly dried after each use (to prevent it going icky, as has happened to my other bike camelback before).

Bottles on the other hand may give you more flexibilty in terms of carrying liquid in one, and sports drink etc in another.  Plus they're easier to clean.

I definitely don't want to be carring anything in my hands.  I fidget with my fingers too much when I'm running.

I'm coming to the conclusion that trial and error is the way to go with this, which will inevitably lead me down the path of owning many bags!!  

08/03/2013 at 14:37

or if i can keep up with Lirish i will throw my bottle at him to carry..his hands are bigger than mine... theres a phrase that goes with that im sure

GKD
08/03/2013 at 14:42
Pudge if you find cleaning your bladder is a bit of a chore, oh ear missus, stick it in the freezer between runs after rinsing it out quickly. I leave mine in the flat tray normally used for ice. The temp will freeze any residual water and ensure no bacteria grows
GKD
08/03/2013 at 14:44

you are a mine of info uncle  Lirish

GKD
08/03/2013 at 14:48
All you need to do is ask nicely Lou
GKD
Pudge    pirate
08/03/2013 at 14:51
Lirish wrote (see)
Pudge if you find cleaning your bladder is a bit of a chore, oh ear missus, stick it in the freezer between runs after rinsing it out quickly. I leave mine in the flat tray normally used for ice. The temp will freeze any residual water and ensure no bacteria grows

Ah, thanks for that, I will certainly give it a try.  Anything to make my life easier!

08/03/2013 at 14:59
Lirish wrote (see)
All you need to do is ask nicely Lou

....really? ok, will you please uncle Lirish keep me company for some of NDW-IF i can keep up with you?

08/03/2013 at 15:00

pudge, we are quite helpful on here sometimes. are you running alone on your ultra or have you someone to chat to to pass the time?

Pudge    pirate
08/03/2013 at 15:07

Nope, I'll be on my tod - as I am most of the time when I'm out running.  Good job I enjoy my own company eh!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.