wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

6,741 to 6,760 of 8,239 messages
09/01/2013 at 16:05
cchick, at least we are consistent
09/01/2013 at 16:08
A week or 6 months , you be assured you will come back and the marmite/ Nutella devil food topic will still be here, the vest v backpack v handhelds will still be here, Wib and I still discussing how many GU / shot blok flavours web can possibly try without being sick and the ever so detailed chats on wht we will wear to recognise each others)))))))
WiB
09/01/2013 at 16:21

I will never get sick of Chocolate outrage GU gels Lou! I am taking at least 50 to RR

WiB
09/01/2013 at 17:24

So backpacks?

09/01/2013 at 17:52
Yes spen- backpacks. They come in lots of shapes and sizes and colours- but in a convert to the vest as you know
09/01/2013 at 17:55

I dont like bladders tho as you know

09/01/2013 at 18:00

http://www.ultramarathonrunningstore.com/UltrAspire-FASTPACK-Backpack-Race-Vest-p/ua503.htm

Maybe that one.   Expensive but should cover all races especially when i keep my OMM 15L

Ohttp://shop.sand-baggers.com/raidlight-olmo-20l-363-p.aspr

Not as expensive

09/01/2013 at 18:00

Did i say I did not like bladders!?!?

09/01/2013 at 18:12

Cant have Nutella It's chocolate! The jar is handy tho!

WiB
09/01/2013 at 18:26
Looks good spen. I am very happy with my ultraspire pack.
WiB
09/01/2013 at 20:32

The jars make very handy drink glasses - they bounce on floors when kids drop them

LLB - yes there is comfort in familiarity

Running is ticking along. Not much over the holidays unfortunately what with hubby and kids under feet and a whistle-stop tour of the lower half of England to catch up with family. But got a decent 15-miler in - new headtorch from hubby (clearly need to mention new kit here) got trialled on a solo in-the-dark run along coastal path and beach which was fab.  Have new inhaler for asthma which seems to be an improvement - fingers crossed.

So, yes, Fling is now the focus as part of the route to the WHW, hoping to poss do the Dee33 in March too (flat speedy - ha ha - out and back from Aberdeen).  So just about to plan a schedule of sorts for all this - eek.

Loving my Nathan pack and I love bladders - especially now I have one that doesn't leak all my drink out immediately after I filled it up!!

I have no idea how anyone can run an ultra on GU gels alone and not have stomach probs ... it's like eating that Betty Crocker ready made butter icing (not sure those who haven't had to make kids bday cakes will know what I am on about!!) with caffeine in it! 

10/01/2013 at 10:55

Spen - Raidlight have just updated the Olmo 20l, I think though to be more MdS specific, not sure of the front pouch is detachable or not:

http://www.shropshirelive.com/2013/01/10/shropshire-firm-wastes-no-time-in-helping-charity-cardboard-collection/

Also Ultimate Direction seem to be getting quite a following (they also have some packs designed by Scott Jurek and Anton Krupika), I like the look of the look of the Diablo and Highline as have bladder and bottles.

As ever the price in $ look pretty good no doubt when they reach the UK they will defy the exchange rate though and be expensive.

10/01/2013 at 13:57

Alistair you like to collect cardboard?

You do not have to get them in America tho,  buy them here.

WiB
10/01/2013 at 13:59

I think Alistair meant when they are available here they will be more expensive than the price suggests in $.

WiB
10/01/2013 at 14:30
I don't think the Nathan vest was too bad price wise
I'm liking the ultra glow bottles I've seen - they are ultra spire i think?
WiB
10/01/2013 at 17:04
Would love to try the Anton Krupicka Ultimate Direction pack. Looks great and very light!
WiB
GKD
10/01/2013 at 17:48
Well had another scan today, ultrasound this time, and the consultant is happy it isn't a hernia, so that's good news. What isn't great news though is that he has no idea what it is so I'm no further along than before, he did say there's some damage to a tendon sheath that a steroid injection would help but after nearly thirty five years of sport I'm not keen on starting taking steroidal injections now
Edited: 10/01/2013 at 17:48
GKD
10/01/2013 at 18:52
Oh dear Lirish :/ whatcha gonna do now then
WiB
10/01/2013 at 19:43
Good news of sorts Lirish... Maybe grab a 2nd opinion before any injections?
WiB
GKD
10/01/2013 at 19:50
Feck knows Lou, I could pay for a private MRI but soft tissue injuries are particularly hard to diagnose via MRI apparently, will try to see what my gp offers as a solution. I've avoided cortisone over 27 years of playing rugby, I'll be damned if I use it now before I've exhausted everything else.
I've already cancelled everything up to march time anyway so at least I've given myself some recovery time, mileage is in the toilet though, I'm down around 45 per week at the moment
GKD
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.