wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

6,761 to 6,780 of 8,319 messages
11/01/2013 at 18:16

LI, I had MRI before ultrasound for some tricky tendon issues in the leg and the results were very disappointing. Turns out that Ultrasound is excellent resolution but not so in depth. They were thinking about injecting some saline in to improve the resolution but the Dr scanning knew his stuff and found the correct diagnosis after 18months of me hacking round various leech peddlers. I was lucky to have both on health insurance but tbh that MRI was a complete waste of time.

45 doesnt sound much of a calming down tho?! 

12/01/2013 at 18:33

did anyone from here run past littleton farm on the SDW today dressed in shorts around 3.30pm??? I was freezing having run in 2 merino tops a waterproof jacket, thermal tights and someone looking very professional ran past in shorts???

12/01/2013 at 18:41

Nope, not me. I ran a 5+ mile cross-country today in full length Skins and both a vest AND a T-shirt. Some of the other runners were in shorts and crop tops!

WiB
12/01/2013 at 21:13
Not me touie and I am usually on the downs training. It is always shorts weather though. Always.
Edited: 12/01/2013 at 21:13
WiB
GKD
12/01/2013 at 22:45
Cheers Slane, it's bloody annoying but I'll keep looking for a solution.
And I'm with WiB, it's always shorts weather
GKD
13/01/2013 at 00:00
Nooo I was thinking I should have put shorts under my thermals!!! Wasn't to bad until I stopped in a barn to grab a snack without getting it wet and then never warmed up again! And my waterproof gloves were a fail, freezing fingers does anyone have any waterproof gloves or mittens that actually work?
13/01/2013 at 09:35

hope you find a solution or help for your injury soon Lirish.

i have to admit i havnt worn full length leggings as much as usual this winter-wore shorts other day as was so mild-umheard of for me in winter!!

well done WIB for yesterday next time -dont wake me at 5am

GKD
13/01/2013 at 09:53
Aw, he didn't slam the door on the way out did he?
;)
GKD
13/01/2013 at 16:25

Lirish..i didnt mean like that.  hes a good boy

13/01/2013 at 16:29

touie2 - I have sealskinz gloves and for me they are great although I have seen lots of reviews by others that say different

13/01/2013 at 16:54
Thanks I have sealskinz gloves too but haven't tested them on a long run I'll try them next time, I was a bit put off by some of the reviews
13/01/2013 at 17:09

Waterproof gloves are a fail fullstop Touie i really suffer with cold fingers and have found they seem to just retain the cold and it is impossible to warm up. I find the thinest cotton gloves work best for me even when damp.

+1 for shorts though.

13/01/2013 at 21:00

I use powerstretch gloves (have a Marmot pair at the mo but Mountain Hardwear in the past) and these work really well for me whatever the weather, like Dill I really suffer with my hands - Reynaulds syndrome so they go really yellow and don't work when they get wet and cold.  When it's REALLY cold (the first year up here was -12 a couple of times) I wear my pure woollen mountaineering mitts over the top of the powerstretch gloves!!!

13/01/2013 at 21:01

And as for wearing shorts - in the last couple of months I have gone from wearing shorts one week to full-blown winter tights the next - blimmin weather, sooooo unpredictable!

13/01/2013 at 21:01

... and agree with Slaneuk, avg 45 mpw doesn't sound like slowing down much at all!

13/01/2013 at 21:04

Eldred - yes, I bought my La Sportiva Crosslites from them, decent price and arrived really quickly, esp considering some stuff takes AGES to get up here.

13/01/2013 at 21:24
I was contemplating waterproof ski gloves for when the weather is extreme like yesterday, has anyone tried them? I was ok running without gloves for most of todays run in the cold and wind but yesterday with the rain, wind and cold it was awful!!!
13/01/2013 at 21:40

perhaps you would find mits better than gloves? Maybe a silk liner and then mits over the top - restriction of fingers is often the problem. For me the rain and wind combo is definitely the absolute worst.

13/01/2013 at 21:41

... anyway, will be spring soon won't it, with lots of spring sunshine!!

13/01/2013 at 21:43
We can hope I'm a bit worried about the Thames trot if the weather is similar to Saturday!!!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.