wannabe ultra runner?

share your ambitions/goals/training here on a 'newbie ultra' thread........

6,841 to 6,860 of 7,874 messages
19/01/2013 at 16:51

ive been out driving in snow that was fun and i quite like it-drying out wet clothes from daughter in snow

will attempt to escape and get out tomorrow...feel a trip to cotswold outdoor coming on...havnt been in for a few weeks and im getting withdrawal symotoms.....!!

19/01/2013 at 17:04

LLB - Struggling for training time too and paying the price for taking xmas off both running and my usual healthy eating so carrying more than a little extra timber!

Very charming off-road marathon end of Feb, Belvoir Challenge, walk or run event in aid of local school; cheap entry, home made cakes all the way round, soup followed by crumble at the end, perfect.

Ultra-wise first half of year not too sure will see how I feel about Hardmoors 55 pretty much in the week before the event, not completely thrown off the hamstring injury that caused me to dnf at Hardmors 60, other than that will put on a FatAss in the Peak District in April with 14 mile and 50KM options and of course Dukeries Ultra in May, it being on my door step.

Edited: 19/01/2013 at 17:06
19/01/2013 at 17:10

Anyone else using Strava? www.strava.com , I am enjoying it much more than Garmin connect.

19/01/2013 at 17:15

Alistair! Belvoir challenge sounds amazing! how did i miss out on this??? cake, soup, crumble and off road too? ? omgosh thats perfect kind of run!!

details please? i will ensure i do it next year. ah you are going for dukeries again-im doing northants again, kinda liked that one a lot and as it was my first probably always will have and not too far from home. ....the draw point for that also for me is the lovely scrummy homemade cake

yes maybe wait and see how you feel about hardmoors 50 if inkury not quite sorted

19/01/2013 at 17:17

Cooooooooooooooooo eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

19/01/2013 at 17:35

http://www.belvoirchallenge.co.uk/ it is very charming indeed, for the princely sum of just £16, fed watered and made to feel like a VIP. It sells out, but not too quickly usually late Dec early Jan.

I run sections of the Dukeries most weekends so it's home from home for me. Maria and Roger joint RD's really put everything in to it. I had a decent run last year in spite of a huge bonk, can definitely do better though, be good to gauge year on year improvement hoping to knock a solid half an hour off last year, perhaps more, as it was SCORCHIO hot, hot, hot that weekend. It's earlier this year so might not clah with Northants http://www.dukeriesevents.co.uk/, if you are ever this way can take you on a tour of the course.

19/01/2013 at 17:35

Hey Spen, how ya doin?

19/01/2013 at 17:54

Organised my local parkrun this morning as usual - had a tiny run yesterday evening, running one lap of the course with a headlamp, for risk assessment. With Winter Tanners cancelled I need to make up my own long run tomorrow, then B2B it with a run on Monday.

19/01/2013 at 18:28

I keep meaning to get over to the PEak

19/01/2013 at 18:53

Spen - Give me a shout when you are free; I keep doing the same route be good to do some on the other side.

19/01/2013 at 19:02

Due to having had cold and then twisted ankle since Dec.I've finally managed my first 50+ mile week in 2 months ,Alistair I'm doing Dukeries again,thinking of doing the double this year.The D 40 on Saturday,and then Sheffield HM on Sunday,plus biking to both.Other than that I'm not sure as I'm waiting to see if Ive got a spot in the Outlaw Ironman on 7 July

19/01/2013 at 19:21

DAYTREKKER - Well done on the 50 mile week! Not managed that myself for some time either. I am just going to have right old crack at Dukeries, leave you to the double plus biking! Best of luck with the Outlaw entry. Give me a shout when you are free for a run chap.

19/01/2013 at 20:17

yes it certainly was hot hot hot that weekend of dukeries/northants -and im hoping for same again!!!

19/01/2013 at 21:33

mmmm might just have found my birthday present:

http://www.nationalracegroup.com/Home/Event/13

Check out the pictures of the trail here:

https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/19069552/1/trail?h=8a8de1

Looks like an awesome 50 miler!

19/01/2013 at 22:13

Alistair ..i looked at that last week,but its to close to another event that id like to do,The Three Peaks Challenge [highest 3 peaks in Scot,Eng and Wales in 24 hrs],

Will meet up next weekend for a run if your free ?

19/01/2013 at 22:29

Next weekend will be spot on DAYTREKKER, look forward to it. 

20/01/2013 at 18:57

Pleased to have manged 30 snowy miles today, if rather slowly (wish my posterior tibial tendon would settle down properly). We have about 4-5 inches of snow now, so should make for a fun run tomorrow to give my final B2B before TT50 (I had some leave to use up so I have the day off).

What did everyone else do today?

20/01/2013 at 19:41
Well done!

No running for me today, I did 11 yesterday very tiring going uphill in the snow although going down was fun! I've still got a bruised foot so have been resting it today, the downside to snow is that you can't see what you are stepping on!!! Not sure whether to try the pavements tomorrow with my yaktrax really need to avoid stones and roots!
20/01/2013 at 20:39

The Belvoir looks great. May not be saying a lot on the website, but if from previous experiences people feel like VIPs then hats off to them. Has to be better than a premier event from others  Shame its so far away

Split my 20mi in two, ten in the morning ten in the evening (to come) looking a bit snowy out there now...... Hoping it clears in the next fortnight before next race. Looks like this w/e was a whiteout for most races. Not good for running clubs depending on the income though

Whats the pros and cons with Strava over Garmin are you finding Alistair if you care to share? 

20/01/2013 at 21:57

touie2: thanks. Hope the bruise settles soon.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.